Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I just posted the following on Sigma of America's Facebook page. Not sure if I'll get any kind of public response but I'm hoping it's helpful to wage a PR campaign and lobby for it!

Please, please, please release your new 30mm f/1.4 Art lens for the Pentax K-mount! I have read conflicting answers from your Sales Representatives in response to direct questions sent by Pentax DSLR users to Sigma Customer Service asking about the future availability of this lens for Pentax--->

Compare these two responses:

"Unfortunately, the new 30mm F1.4 is only scheduled to be released in Canon, Nikon and Sigma mount. There are no plans to create one for Pentax or Sony."

with:

"At the moment we are producing the lens in the mounts with the largest market share, Canon and Nikon; Sony and Pentax should follow at a later date but we don’t have it yet."

So who's right?? Or can your "plans" change if you receive feedback like this one, requesting that you make the lens compatible with Pentax?

04-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
They seem to be pretty similar answers actually

"we don't know".
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeChuck Quote
They seem to be pretty similar answers actually "we don't know".
Yeah, you're right about that. But "no plans to create one" is more of a negative answer than the more reassuring "should follow at a later date but we don't have it yet." Still, I can't imagine Sigma not releasing it someday. The pattern with Sigma lenses in the past has been to release it for Nikon/Canon/Sigma first, and then Pentax/Sony follows sometime after. I'm still encouraged that they released their new 17-70 "Contemporary" lens in K-mount, so it shows that they're not abandoning the Pentax APS-C format. And they are offering their 35mm f/1.4 Art for Pentax, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't sell a 30mm f/1.4 for more budget-minded Pentax shooters. I guess I'll just have to remain patient and hope for positive news on this front...
05-01-2013, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #34

email reply from Sigma

I emailed Sigma yesterday asking if the new 30mm 1.4 Art lens will be released for Pentax. Here is their response:

Hello Mike,
At Sigma we manufacturer every item we sell in our Factory in Japan, in order to do this we must fill the major demand brands, Canon and Nikon, first. Pentax has a much smaller market share and will usually follow at a later date, which we don’t have yet. Please be patient and it will come.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
Sigma Corporation of America

So there's hope. Be patient. It will come.

05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #35

And my guess as to why the 35mm/1.4 is available and the 30mm is not...

The 35mm is probably a much lower volume product, so their factory probably has spare capacity to build the Pentax versions.

They are probably expecting to sell a lot more of the 30mm since it's more consumer oriented due to its price, so their factory is probably going to be kept busy building the Canikon versions for longer. But I'm confident that we'll eventually see it.
05-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Let's keep our fingers crossed! Thanks for the updates.
05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Great hopes! Thanks for the updates! I guess we should keep spamming them with inquiries on K mount to keep them interested too! LoL!
05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Great hopes! Thanks for the updates! I guess we should keep spamming them with inquiries on K mount to keep them interested too! LoL!
that was my strategy! I just don't want to see Sigma abandon or neglect k-mount like Tamron appears to be doing...

05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And in related news, Pentax once again peered into their murky crystal ball today and saw that the time was right for another random, massive price increase on their lenses. This would be the perfect occasion for Pentax users to throw their support to Sigma by purchasing one of their many excellent K-mount lenses.
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
All these factors - lack of (or shrinking) support from Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron, rising prices of Pentax primes, Pentax zooms being either mediocre quality or ridiculous prices, or both - have me wondering if going with Pentax was a good idea for me. The K-5 has been great for me so far, great features, but my inability to find the kind of lenses I want is starting to be a real bummer.

All I need is a weather-sealed camera with a Nikon D800E sensor and Olympus 5-axis in-body Image Stabilization, a Canon 17mm tilt-shift lens that has filter threads, and a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L mark II but with a 77mm filter thread size. Is that too much to ask? It would be great if it were all no bigger or heavier than my OM-D & 12-50 kit lens.

The only thing stopping me is reality.

Last edited by kevwil; 05-01-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: emoticons, clarify
05-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevwil Quote
All I need is a weather-sealed camera with a Nikon D800E sensor and Olympus 5-axis in-body Image Stabilization, a Canon 17mm tilt-shift lens that has filter threads, and a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L mark II but with a 77mm filter thread size. Is that too much to ask? ;-) It would be great if it were all no bigger or heavier than my OM-D & 12-50 kit lens. :-D
You don't want the Nikon autofocus and/or flash system in there too?
05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
You don't want the Nikon autofocus and/or flash system in there too?
While those are probably best-in-breed in their respective categories, they're not priorities for me.
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
This would be the perfect occasion for Pentax users to throw their support to Sigma by purchasing one of their many excellent K-mount lenses.
As much as I enjoy my Sigma lenses, I still would want Pentax to offer reasonably priced lenses. They don't necessarily have to exactly match the Sigma price for similar lenses, but at least make them competitive. Otherwise, I can't understand why someone would get a DA 18-270 for $800 when the excellent Sigma 18-250 can be had for $400.
07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by renegadesv Quote
I emailed Sigma yesterday asking if the new 30mm 1.4 Art lens will be released for Pentax. Here is their response:

Hello Mike,
At Sigma we manufacturer every item we sell in our Factory in Japan, in order to do this we must fill the major demand brands, Canon and Nikon, first. Pentax has a much smaller market share and will usually follow at a later date, which we donít have yet. Please be patient and it will come.
Yours Truly,
Paul Pizzano
Sigma Corporation of America

So there's hope. Be patient. It will come.
This comes as no surprise. Look at their very consistent trend in releasing new lenses for the various mounts, including the recent Art and Contemporary lenses. They've apparently really beefed up their quality and build. This one has potential to make a lot of Pentax 31/1.8s seem like a pretty and over-priced collector piece. Granted, 10 years from now you know which lens will still be worth a lot more! I for one, am very interested in their release of the Sigma 30 art for Pentax.
07-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
As much as I enjoy my Sigma lenses, I still would want Pentax to offer reasonably priced lenses. They don't necessarily have to exactly match the Sigma price for similar lenses, but at least make them competitive. Otherwise, I can't understand why someone would get a DA 18-270 for $800 when the excellent Sigma 18-250 can be had for $400.
S'cuse me?

Do you know how important that extra 20mm is?! It's the difference between having your nose burnt while bending over a campfire within a confined tentage just to get "that" shot if you used the Sigma! Or can you imagine that it makes a HELL lot of difference by increasing the size of that star in the night sky by 0.005mm as compared to using the Sigma longest FL of 250mm?!

And even having that extra 20mm gives you that advantage over the Sigma when you are literally toeing the waterline by the freezing river because you HAVE to HAVE that composition and you can't move any closer?

And THAT's the main reason why it's $400 more...