Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
new Sigma 30/1.4 "Art" not available for Pentax

I don't see a Pentax mount option for this lens. ಠ_ಠ Darnit.

30mm F1.4 DC HSM | A | Sigma

04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The key part missing is, yet.
04-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It really MUST be offered sometime; the question is when? by end of the year? early next? They discontinued the previous version and I have to assume that they want to keep offering this focal length for APS-C Pentax cameras. I'll be (im)patiently waiting for this lens....
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have my doubts about the 35mm f/1.4 but the 30mm seems like such a natural fit. Its price, features, and size would appeal to a lot of Pentaxians so unless Sigma is completely giving up on Pentax, I'm sure they'll release it.

04-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't get it. What was wrong with the old one, and how is this one any different? And why are they labeling it as an "art" specialty lens? My 30mm f/1.4 is the most practical prime I have.
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
They list the new 17-70 "Contemporary" in Pentax mount, even though the Pentax and Sony mounts are delayed compared to the Canon, Nikon, and Sigma mounts. But for this new lens, Pentax isn't even listed. That could change, maybe ...
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I don't get it. What was wrong with the old one, and how is this one any different? And why are they labeling it as an "art" specialty lens? My 30mm f/1.4 is probably the most practical prime I have.
New body design, new optics design ...
QuoteQuote:
redesigned and quality-control tested with Sigma’s proprietary modulation transfer function (MTF)“A1” measuring system
... compatible with the new USB dock which will allow fine focus adjustments.

It's all part of their new Global Vision redesign. Given the fact that the new 35/1.4 seems to be performing better than any other 35/1.4 from any manufacturer ever, I'm kinda looking forward to more lenses designed for and QC-tested for the A1 measuring system. I am looking for a fast "standard" prime and thought of the 30/1.4. I'd like it in Sigma "Art" specs, if possible.
04-04-2013, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevwil Quote
New body design, new optics design ... ... compatible with the new USB dock which will allow fine focus adjustments.

It's all part of their new Global Vision redesign. Given the fact that the new 35/1.4 seems to be performing better than any other 35/1.4 from any manufacturer ever, I'm kinda looking forward to more lenses designed for and QC-tested for the A1 measuring system. I am looking for a fast "standard" prime and thought of the 30/1.4. I'd like it in Sigma "Art" specs, if possible.
Oh, okay. That thing about USB docking really threw me off. That's pretty nifty, but I think I'll stick with my discontinued model, which cost me less than half of what they're charging for the new one.

I hadn't heard of the Sigma "Art," "Contemporary," and "Sports" series. Sounds like silly marketing to me. I can decide what I'm going to use a lens for without someone at Sigma telling me "This is for art!"

04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That's pretty nifty, but I think I'll stick with my discontinued model, which cost me less than half of what they're charging for the new one.
Yes, I think those of you who own the old model should be happy sitting pat and skip this Art version if/when it is released. For those of us who missed out on getting the old version before it was discontinued, we'll have to pay a lot more for the new version, but hopefully we'll get the benefit of improved optical performance (especially at the edges) and a quiet HSM motor. I also like the styling of the new lens as well.
04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
For those of us who missed out on getting the old version before it was discontinued, we'll have to pay a lot more for the new version, but hopefully we'll get the benefit of improved optical performance (especially at the edges) and a quiet HSM motor. I also like the styling of the new lens as well.
Is it really that hard to find used? I just looked, and the old ones are still available (new with warranty) for a hair over $400. Also, keep in mind that the old one had HSM, too. It was left out exclusively on the Pentax model. The jury is still out on whether they'll do the same with this new model (if there is a new model on K-mount).

I like the old styling better, but they're almost exactly the same. The new one is just missing the gold ring, has an "A" badge, and is missing the crinkle finish.

I'm interested to know how the optics compare. Maybe they improved corner sharpness? I'm not complaining. The soft corners actually help portraits, and it's not noticable at the smaller apertures used for landscape.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 04-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Is it really that hard to find used? I just looked, and the old ones are still available (new with warranty) for a hair over $400.
It's hard to find the old ones at the fire-sale prices that they were offered in late 2012 and early 2013, like $289 or even $329. I guess I could pay $400 for an old one, but at that price, I might as well hold out for the new version to come out, which could be priced at $499, and hopefully cost less after rebates or other promotions around the holidays...
04-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh, okay. That thing about USB docking really threw me off. That's pretty nifty, but I think I'll stick with my discontinued model, which cost me less than half of what they're charging for the new one.

I hadn't heard of the Sigma "Art," "Contemporary," and "Sports" series. Sounds like silly marketing to me. I can decide what I'm going to use a lens for without someone at Sigma telling me "This is for art!"
It's more of a segmentation thing. Art is the designation for their high performing, large aperture, higher build quality lenses. Sport is their pricey constant aperture telephoto zooms, and contemporary is their consumers lenses. Somewhat similar to our DA* vs. DA vs. DA-L lenses.
04-04-2013, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

And "P" is for "perfessional".
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's pretty nifty, but I think I'll stick with my discontinued model, which cost me less than half of what they're charging for the new one
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
For those of us who missed out on getting the old version before it was discontinued, we'll have to pay a lot more for the new version
I just checked Adorama for prices. The old one (in Nikon mount) is $489 and the new one (also Nikon mount) is $499. I think it's a stretch to say that the new one in Pentax mount, if it ever exists, is going to have a big jump in price compared to the old one. On the other hand, perhaps the new design is meaningless and there will only be a correspondingly tiny bump in performance? It'll be interesting to see.

If there were a big jump in price, or if the new model is never released for Pentax, I have no problem with getting the old one. I just think it's a shame to see Pentax not getting the love on some cool Sigma lenses like the 50-150/2.8 and 150/2.8 macro, and now the new 30/1.4. I hope that all changes.
04-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ya know... I just have a feeling that they're unable to incorporate HSM with K mount and they figured they might as well leave it out to prevent negative feedbacks from Pentaxian? I might be wrong and of course, also hopeful that they'll have it for us too.

Does the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 have HSM for Pentax too? Or they had to revert to screw drive also?