Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have been reading through the Takumar lens reviews here on pentaxforums, but the other brands are harder to find since they're grouped my manufacturer and not mount type (unless there's a feature/link I don't know about).

I knew about KEH being close by, but haven't visited yet - they seem to discourage going there in person a bit. Not sure what to expect when I do, what I'd like is to be able to ask them to bring out several lenses to look at and handle but it sounds like more of a warehouse so there may not be much of a sales counter.

500mm sounds interesting, I'll certainly never get that sort of length any other way without winning the lottery. I'm leaning towards the Jupiter-9 for 85mm and to serve as a portrait lens from time to time. I'm also fine with getting the Takumar 28mm instead of the Pentax-A. Hopefully the extra stop-down exposure step won't add too much time, it shouldn't after a little practice.

Thanks for the pointer to MF Lenses, I'll have plenty of reading to do there.

My in-laws say there's a small camera shop where they live and they'll take me there next time we visit, maybe they've got some nice old stuff lying around gathering dust...
They won't bring out lenses to look at and handle. It's a sales office, warehouse, and repair facility with no space or resources to handle actual customers at the site. They do allow local pickup but charge extra for it because it disrupts their workflow - their words.

04-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In 2010 I picked up an 8-element 50/1.4 with a Spotmatic for $101 shipped. It was the most I had spent on a M42 until this January. In January I bought a Super Takumar 35/2 (67mm filter) for $121 shipped.

I went on something of a buying spree this winter. After I bought the 35/2 I bought a Spot F with a Super Tak 35/3.5 ($70), a Sears TLS with a 55/1.4 ($62), a S-M-C Tak 35/3.5 and a S-M-C Tak 135/3.5 ($70 for both). I was also gifted a Spotmatic with a 55/2.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/219535-auto-sears-55mm-f1-4-a.html

Probably the best purchase of all was the CBC Computar 28/2.8 for just under $18 shipped from evilBay...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/215564-computa...light=computar

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/215195-bnib-28mm-f2-8-...light=computar

When you finally have 5 50mm lenses we can welcome you to the LBA club...

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-05-2013 at 07:13 AM.
04-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm finding myself tempted by some of the Russian lenses. Helios, Jupiter, Industar, Volna, etc... Are these any harder to use or more problematic, or would it be better to start off with a Takumar - I'm expecting those will be the simplest and most well-trodden path in case I run into any issues?
04-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I'm finding myself tempted by some of the Russian lenses. Helios, Jupiter, Industar, Volna, etc... Are these any harder to use or more problematic, or would it be better to start off with a Takumar - I'm expecting those will be the simplest and most well-trodden path in case I run into any issues?
This might be a good place to start...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31430-soviet-lenses-club.html

04-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #20

Original Poster
123 pages, I've got some catching up to do on that thread
04-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As they say in the Russian Watch collector forums - try not to buy anything made on a Monday
04-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I just bought a MIR 1B, 37mm f2.8, what a great lens, well up to the Russian high standard of glass. I've now got 57 lenses I can use on my K10, 3 are autofocus.
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've now got 57 lenses I can use on my K10, 3 are autofocus.
If you click my Camera's & Lenses link you will see that I have 11 autofocus K-mount lenses that I will admit to owing. I'm beginning to lose track of how many lenses I own in total...maybe it's time for an inventory

04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I just get a better hit rate with MF lenses, I do use my DA50-135 a lot on my K10 and generally use the MF lenses on my Sony NEX, but I like to photograph details, so I like a small DoF and sharpness, and although the DA is good, I find I get better results by using it in MF - or, just getting a MF lens. Interestingly, I took some pictures recently with the DA and wasn't that happy with them, went back with a heavy, old, cheap Soligor CD 70-210 / 3.5 and nailed the focus perfectly. Was there a difference in sharpness ? That was debatable.
MF just suits my slow shooting style and methods, I use AF for point and shoot.
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #25

Original Poster
Still working my way through, I'm up to page 77 so far...

This morning I bought a Helios 44-2, should be here in a couple of weeks - and by that time my adapter ought to have arrived as well. And, as long as I was on eBay anyway I grabbed a $6 remote shutter release and a couple spare m42 rear caps since so many of the lenses seem to come without them.

I got such a good deal on the Helios that I'm thinking maybe I can stretch and order another lens before too long. I think I've decided that it will be either a Jupiter 9 (85mm) or a Jupiter 37A (135mm). I think the normal thing to do would be to go through my pics and see which focal length is used more often, but since I've mainly been shooting with an 18-135mm WR lens the statistics seems like they'd be skewed quite a bit in favor of 135mm simply because it gets all the pictures that I'd really rather have at an even longer zoom.

It may just end up being whichever one I find a great deal on first

Anyway, will post some pics once the lens arrives and I learn how to operate it.