Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Classic Beauty

Yes, my K28 3.5 is an affordable classic beauty. However it appears that when it comes to fish-eye lenses, the newer ones are superior.

04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Those photos certainly are great, I'm just reflecting some posts I read on the forum in the past, that under f5.6 the lens is very soft. Btw, the Zenitar allows the use of filters, right? Thats pretty good many other fisheyes don't allow that

Oh, and my earlier post about fisheyes being specialty lenses is because I have a 14mm Samyang and I'm needing quite some time to adjust. When I was researching ultra wide angles, practically no posts said how hard it is to use these lenses.
Fisheye lenses meant for film use often had some kind of rear-mount filter system. The Sigma Filtermatic 16mm f2.8 Fisheye had a removable front section with a central filter. The Zenitar's filter is at the rear. Filter size is usually tiny.

The DA 10-17 is actually pretty easy to use. It's not very big. It has AF, a nice crutch. Framing is much easier with the zoom. With a 100% viewfinder, it's easy to see and exclude feet or fingers.
04-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check this comparison between Samyang and Pentax FE. IMO - if for general shooting get Pentax; if mainly for those lovely 360 panoramas - Samyang.

A.
04-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
IMO - if for general shooting get Pentax; if mainly for those lovely 360 panoramas - Samyang.
My feelings exactly

Save up and get the Samyang. You will not be happy with one of those front adaptors.

04-09-2013, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Couple from me taken with the Samyang (its a great lens IMO). Cant compare against the Pentax Fish as I've never tried it.

04-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
My feelings exactly

Save up and get the Samyang. You will not be happy with one of those front adaptors.
I accidentally got one of the fron adapter things. I still have it. Nobody would bid on it when I offered it on eBay, starting at 99 cents. I got it in a box of bits with a STak 135/3.5 that I wanted. The other things nearly got me my money back, so the deal was good. I cannot even remember the brand of the front thing for sure. It dismantles and is also a +8 close-up filter. Another of those compromise to be cheap things.I never used close-up filters after I got bellows. And only recent got a macro lens.
04-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

My wife has an Ambico V-0310 fisheye that screws onto the filter threads that isn't bad. It's not as good as an actual fisheye lens, of course... but it's better than the other screw-on adapters I've tried. You should be able to find one for $20 on the used market. It would give you something to play with 'til you save up for an actual fisheye.

04-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Well I have jumped on the fisheye band wagon, picked up a Pentax 10-17mm off eBay for £275. (about $420) I might have got one cheaper but I was a little impatient.

So I am looking forward to that arriving while I am off with work, will give me something to look forward to when I get home, well apart from my wife and kids.

Cheers Steve
04-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
well apart from my wife and kids
It may have been an afterthought, but you got the phrase in, you never know who's going to read this.

Enjoy the new lens when it arrives and remember to post up some of your images with it.
04-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Those photos certainly are great, I'm just reflecting some posts I read on the forum in the past, that under f5.6 the lens is very soft. Btw, the Zenitar allows the use of filters, right? Thats pretty good many other fisheyes don't allow that

Oh, and my earlier post about fisheyes being specialty lenses is because I have a 14mm Samyang and I'm needing quite some time to adjust. When I was researching ultra wide angles, practically no posts said how hard it is to use these lenses.
You have some misconceptions about the Zenitar 16. First of all it is sharp down to about 3.5 or so, it is most definitely quite sharp by F/4.0. I will say that it's pretty soft wide open at F/2.8. But certainly useable a bit slower than that. Also it cannot use normal screw in filters. I don't know if you can use a conklin system with it, I don't own that system. Since it is manufactured for film cameras, it does have 3 dropin (behing the lens) colored filters, but those are useless in a digital world.

NaCl(love my "Z" )H2O
04-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
but those are useless in a digital world
...also pretty much useless when shooting color film! (The filters are red, yellow, and green.)

Steve
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Well I have jumped on the fisheye band wagon, picked up a Pentax 10-17mm off eBay for £275. (about $420) I might have got one cheaper but I was a little impatient.
I think you'll really like it. I love my copy. It's one of my favorites. $420 sounds about the norm for that lens, so I think you did ok.
04-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I think you'll really like it. I love my copy. It's one of my favorites. $420 sounds about the norm for that lens, so I think you did ok.
Worse thing is I'm watching two more on eBay, one that has 13hrs left and is at £170 ($260), could have been worse almost bought the one SRS Microsystems have at £350 ($537).

Looking forward to having a play, fingers crossed for some good weather when I get back home.

Cheers Steve
04-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Worse thing is I'm watching two more on eBay, one that has 13hrs left and is at £170 ($260), could have been worse almost bought the one SRS Microsystems have at £350 ($537).

Looking forward to having a play, fingers crossed for some good weather when I get back home.

Cheers Steve
If it is $260 with 13 hours to go it is quite plausible it will sell for $400-$450, and most of the jump will be the spikes at the end of the auction. I have seen many lenses treble in price in the last minute. Sometimes I have bid 10 minutes before the end at double the price and seen the price go up a bit with my bid, but I am beaten by the spikers.
04-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If it is $260 with 13 hours to go it is quite plausible it will sell for $400-$450, and most of the jump will be the spikes at the end of the auction. I have seen many lenses treble in price in the last minute. Sometimes I have bid 10 minutes before the end at double the price and seen the price go up a bit with my bid, but I am beaten by the spikers.
Seems you were right, made £302 ($460) I'm glad I didn't hesitate!

Cheers Steve