Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
A*300/2.8 on trial

I contacted a seller in Norway yesterday regarding an A*300/2.8 in perfect shape and he decided to send me the lens without payment so that I could try before buy.

The lens look more or less like new and it is with the original box, but without the leather hood. He know he has the hood somewhere and should be looking for it.

He is asking €1870 / $2400 for it. I have to decide if I should keep it. I already have a DA*300/4 which is extremely good and has AF. But f/2.8 is sometimes very useful, as you know.

Seems I have to do some serious thinking this weekend.

04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,332
Wow, he is one trusting man to send you a lens to try out! Kudos to him.
f2.8 is useful...and so is AF

In my opinion, and this is totally preference...I say stay with the DA*. You do lose a stop...but you gain weather sealing and AF (not to mention the price, you can get two DA*s for the price he is charging).
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,841
Can I try it out next?

I think the argument for a 300/2.8 is not so much comparing it to the 300/4, but combining it with the 1.7x AF Adapter to get to 510mm with reasonable speed (f4.5?). The adapter is really small so you can quickly add or remove it as needed. That might be redundant for you since you already have a 250-600/5.6.
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
I have had the A*300f2.8 + 1,7 X AF; not impressed, the results were not sharp until stopped down and had a lot of blue finging.
One of the best shots I got from it :

Of course as I have an FA*600 it is not in the same league... but if you already have a 250-600...

04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,220
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
A*300/2.8 on trial
Remember to keep that wee filter draw at the rear of the lens, full with the filter.

I remember reading somewhere that it does alter in some way the performance of this lens, so it needs to be there.
04-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Baard-Einar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oslo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 580
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I contacted a seller in Norway yesterday regarding an A*300/2.8 in perfect shape and he decided to send me the lens without payment so that I could try before buy.

The lens look more or less like new and it is with the original box, but without the leather hood. He know he has the hood somewhere and should be looking for it.

He is asking €1870 / $2400 for it. I have to decide if I should keep it. I already have a DA*300/4 which is extremely good and has AF. But f/2.8 is sometimes very useful, as you know.

Seems I have to do some serious thinking this weekend.
Hey

Is it the one for sale on finn.no?

Regards
BaardE
04-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sanski Most
Posts: 148
for that lens You need pentax rear converter 2x-L and I have one
04-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,348
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I have had the A*300f2.8 + 1,7 X AF; not impressed, the results were not sharp until stopped down and had a lot of blue finging.
One of the best shots I got from it :

Of course as I have an FA*600 it is not in the same league... but if you already have a 250-600...
That is a mediocre converter limited by the optical compromises needed to give you that fake autofocus. You should use the 2x-L or 1.4x-L, they were built for it.

04-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,130
The A* 300/2.8 is VERY heavy for a 300mm lens. Even for 300/2.8
Maybe it is my old one
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hey

Is it the one for sale on finn.no?

Regards
BaardE
Here is the advertising. No need to ask the seller as he don't have it anymore :-)

Pent Brukt Pentax 300mm 2,8 i Flight - FINN Torget
04-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The A* 300/2.8 is VERY heavy for a 300mm lens. Even for 300/2.8
Maybe it is my old one
I can check if you have the serial number.......
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a*300/2.8, hood, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A *300 / 2.8 on ebay dragon132312 Pentax Price Watch 2 09-21-2012 12:46 AM
FA* 200 Macro, A* 300 2.8, FA* 300 2.8 Julie Pentax Price Watch 26 06-14-2012 09:19 PM
FA* 300 2.8 vs A*300 f/2.8 rvannatta Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 01-13-2012 12:22 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8, A*300/2.8 nicolas1970i Sold Items 9 12-08-2011 08:00 AM
For Sale - Sold: Primes: F*300/4.5, A*300/4, FA35/2, Viv 105/2.5 Macro, A28/2.8, A135/2.8 (Worl thirdofthree Sold Items 5 10-23-2010 04:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top