Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
question about focus trap

I want to buy a dedicated macro lens and am considering an AF lens only because I can buy one without searching for a K-A mount manual focus lens. My preference for focusing with the K-A mount lenses I presently use is to use the focus trap function. Would I be able to turn off AF on the lens and use the focus trap with an AF lens?

thanks for any info on this,

Mary in Florida

03-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, it does not seem to work that way at all. Both by DA* lenses have AF/MF switches, and they have exactly the same effect as turning the body AF to MF. For me this is a real bummer, and I am sticking with my 100/4 M series macro.

Snap-in-focus is infinitely more usable than AF when working with bugs. You figure out what the image size you want is, then you chase the bug with the shutter button held down (and half press AF enabled, camera on AF.S) until you nail the little guy.

One of my more amazing successes with snap-in-focus was on my MZ-S with the 400/5.6 and the 1.4X-S. I was set up trying to catch some common loons on a local lake, and saw a dragonfly doing circuits. I cranked the 400 into minimum focus (5 meters) and followed the fellow on the center focus spot, shutter button held down. I actually got two decent images. Amazing the things one will try when bored.
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can use electrical tape to mask the electrical pins responsible for AF.
03-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
bummer

I kinda thought that would be the case; well. I guess I need to keep looking for a K-A mount macro lens.

The sorta goofy thing is that I have LOTS of macro capability with my Canon equipment, but the Pentax is so much more fun to use.

Thanks for the help,

Mary in Florida

Last edited by imajypsee; 03-04-2008 at 05:05 PM.