Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
...just as the brochure is wrong about QS for the 40xs, 35 and 50mm
Pentax UK site also confirms Quick Shift for the DA 40mm xs:

DA 40mm F2.8 XS - K-mount - PENTAX Photo

Having recently bought one, I'd be keen to locate some reliable and accurate information from Pentax as to whether or not the 40mm xs is quick shift or not. Very confusing!

04-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Derwin Quote
Pentax UK site also confirms Quick Shift for the DA 40mm xs:

DA 40mm F2.8 XS - K-mount - PENTAX Photo

Having recently bought one, I'd be keen to locate some reliable and accurate information from Pentax as to whether or not the 40mm xs is quick shift or not. Very confusing!
I can assure you (based on experience with my copy) that it does not have Quick-Shift.
04-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The FA Limiteds are legendary lenses. They were remarked upon in the early 00's as the best prime lenses ever by Pop Photo. I do not think Pentax will discontinue them; they are a hallmark in their lineup.

The FA 50 1.4 and 35 2 are not listed in Pentax's most recent lens roadmaps, but they are current product. I simply think that Pentax is putting the focus on their new DA and D FA lenses (perhaps they are considering releasing D FA Limiteds, same FL and characteristics as the FA Limiteds, but with no aperture ring and (possibly) SDM/DC focus motors and almost certainly the new HD Coatings.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FA LImiteds not being mentioned in this brochure. When they're removed from Pentax's website, I'll worry. Especially if I hadn't had the chance to collect them all by then.
04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The FA Limiteds are legendary lenses. They were remarked upon in the early 00's as the best prime lenses ever by Pop Photo. I do not think Pentax will discontinue them; they are a hallmark in their lineup.
Then why keep them out of the brochure...seems like you would want them front and center?

04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Then why keep them out of the brochure...seems like you would want them front and center?
Haven't we established once and for all that the going hypothesis is that the Pentax Marketing Dept outside of Japan seems to have misunderstood their mission statement?

Pop by the Pentax Square in Shinju-ku, and the FA Limited are exhibited front-and-centre with their awards proudly shown, in silver and black.
04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
Pentaxian

There are a lot of things about Pentax marketing that don't make sense. Feel free to send them a letter.
Seems to me the people in charge of these things don't know anything about photography and think that only DA lenses should be shown in DSLR brochures and that FA lenses are strictly only for film. They must be very puzzled that so many FA lenses get sold, considering nobody even makes film SLRs anymore. (well, except Holga and Vivitar)

QuoteOriginally posted by Derwin Quote
Having recently bought one, I'd be keen to locate some reliable and accurate information from Pentax as to whether or not the 40mm xs is quick shift or not
The DA 40mm XS (pancake lens) is not quick shift. It has a very short focus throw and no distance scales, no aperture ring, no AF/MF button on it. Can't even CiF with it. Basically, this lens is just a focusing ring. It has very fast AF, though. And very sharp, nice bokeh, great for landscapes, unflatteringly sharp for portraits. Congratulations on the purchase! Just dont lose the lens cap. And if you do, buy a cheap replacement online, instead of the official Pentax cap. Much cheaper
04-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
considering nobody even makes film SLRs anymore.
Pentax still does, apparently:

Medium-Format Cameras : Film Cameras | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Note that neither the 645 N II nor the 67 II
are listed as "discontinued models".
04-08-2013, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

There are a lot of things about Pentax marketing that don't make sense.
Pentax has a marketing department?

To be fair often brochures like this are done by an outside firm with input from the marketing department. In many cases it is just a contract to produce a marketing piece and print x quantity. If that's the case here it is easy to see that the people involved would not really have a handle on the nuances of what they are promoting.

I worked with ad agencies for many years, and although they were good creative people they never really understood what I wanted my ad to say. I generally ended up writing the copy myself and then let them polish it. And only rarely in a large company will the people who know what is going on have time to work on marketing pieces. (Sadly)

04-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax has a marketing department?
Yes, my guess is that it's funded entirely by Nicanpuny
04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would want them front and center, but PRIC must feel like their newer lenses are a better fit for their target audience these days. Aperture rings are the 90's. SDM failures and planned obsolescence are today!
04-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #41

The DA 40mm XS (pancake lens) is not quick shift. It has a very short focus throw and no distance scales, no aperture ring, no AF/MF button on it. Can't even CiF with it. Basically, this lens is just a focusing ring. It has very fast AF, though. And very sharp, nice bokeh, great for landscapes, unflatteringly sharp for portraits. Congratulations on the purchase! Just dont lose the lens cap. And if you do, buy a cheap replacement online, instead of the official Pentax cap. Much cheaper
Thanks! The AF is very quick compared to the DA 18-55mm AL WR I have, and it's a whole lot sharper too. Very pleased so far.