Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New Pentax lens brochure

I just ran into this while browsing Pentax's web site: http://c2b6d376b97bcc466063-5420c200a1f030d1394a9548df6eadbd.r5.cf2.rackcdn...._121912_LR.pdf

This is a great introduction to the Pentax system. What do you think?

--DragonLord

04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, someone put a lot of work into that. Of particular note: Advantages to the Pentax system: Sensor shift shake reduction and k-mount compatibility.

I was also surprised to see a lot of legacy equipment, especially the adapters to M42, 645 and 67 lenses, as well as mention of the 'A' Series lenses. Pentaxians would expect those things but to put them in a brochure is indicative of something though I'm not sure what.

Other points:
DA Limited Lens Case II (glad to see it back)
Camera adapter to spotting scopes (I did not know)
A-Converter S and A-Converter L (thought these were long out of production)
Digital spotmeter (thought this was long out of production)
04-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very very nice. Nice photos and I like how they organize the lineup. Did anyone on PF get their pics in that brochure?

No Fa's, which I think is strange since they are part of the current k5iis rebate promotion. And no mention of future products - you'd think that this brochure would be in publication for a couple years and so they'd want to include some of the lenses that they anticipate will be out in that timeframe.
04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The brochure does not contain a single reference to the three Amigos - the FA 31 Ltd, FA 43 Ltd and the FA 77 Ltd.

That said, its nice to see some Pentax marketing materials that are well laid out and start to get their name out in front of consumers....

04-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Couldn't help but notice the conspicuous absence of the FA Limiteds. =\
04-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just want to point out that the FA limiteds are often missing in brochures, and in the past this has generated panics and outrage, but the lenses are still around. I wouldn't worry about it.
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FAs and FA limiteds are not on the brochure, because they are from the film era.

04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alternate interpretation: FA Ltds are discontinued. Their absence from "Lens and Accessories" sales brochure has to be no accident. Rebate deals, like the one that is near its end (in Canada) are often an incentive to clear remaining inventory. The timing of the incentive along with the currency of the brochure is not a coincidence. Perhaps they will be replaced by something similar.

M
04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I also like the description of AW and WR..."issues" with WR seem to pop up on the forum fairly regularly. I think the brochure description is pretty clear on what to expect from WR, not setting any false expectations.
Cheers
Dean
04-06-2013, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Lens Brochure

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I just ran into this while browsing Pentax's web site:
DragonLord,

Thanks for posting.

In my opinion, the brochure is well presented and provides a good overview of the lens series.

I did a quick read and noted the following:

WR:
“The next category of “all weather” PENTAX lenses is designated as WR or weather-resistant. These affordable lenses utilize a simplified weather-resistant construction, making it more difficult for water to enter the lens and are designed to repel a light splash of water.” (page 4)

“Weather resistance: Protect against humidity and dust
Withstand the weather, and keep shooting in any condition with PENTAX WR (Weather Resistant) lenses. Everywhere you go, PENTAX’s protective seals in the WR lenses will handle rain, sea spray, humid tropical climates, snow, sand and even dust.” (page 7)

SDM:
Indicated under the entries for DA* 16-50, DA 17-70, DA 18-270, DA* 50-135, DA* 60-250, DA* 55, DA* 200, DA* 300:
“• Ultrasonic lens for an extremely fast and silent focus”
DA* 200: “As well as its optical benefits the smc DA* 200mm excels with handling ease: its ultrasonic focus operates extremely fast and silently...” (page 24)

There are other references to SDM throughout the brochure, which refer to “quiet” or “quieter” focusing. It is interesting that “silent” is also indicated.

Focus throughout zoom range:

DA* 50-135: “An additional plus: the inner focusing design maintains the focusing point through the full zoom range.” (page 17)

Does this suggest that a single AF Fine Adjust setting, zero or otherwise, should suffice across the full zoom range? e.g., no need for different Fine Adjustment settings at the long and wide ends?

DA 15mm:
No mention of mind control.

smc DA 40mm XS F2.8: “• Designed by Marc Newson”

Lens Line-up (page 32): indicates FA/FAJ series and A-series lenses.

K-Mount Adapter indicated on page 33. It’s encouraging to see it listed.

O-GPS1 GPS unit: under Other Accessories, very last item in the brochure (page 35), immediately following a padded shoulder strap. They might have given it more prominence.

- Craig
04-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Alternate interpretation: FA Ltds are discontinued. Their absence from "Lens and Accessories" sales brochure has to be no accident. Rebate deals, like the one that is near its end (in Canada) are often an incentive to clear remaining inventory. The timing of the incentive along with the currency of the brochure is not a coincidence. Perhaps they will be replaced by something similar.

M
This is my interpretation as well.
04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Typo on the DA* 55, says max Aperture of 1.8.

Also - FA Ltds Discontinued? Let's hope that means DFA Ltds with WR

Last edited by Eulogy; 04-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.
04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe an updated FA limited series with advanced coatings for the new FF?
04-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Maybe an updated FA limited series with advanced coatings for the new FF?
New FF????

As was said above, they are likely selling off the FA lenses for a reason, and I doubt it is because of a new FA series.
04-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
New FF????

As was said above, they are likely selling off the FA lenses for a reason, and I doubt it is because of a new FA series.
I was interested in the pic 'taken' by the 560mm... however a little googling discovers that it's actually taken with an A* 300f4... see PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page . Hopefully they'll put some correct images in when and if they actually release this brochure. Otherwise it looks pretty good.