Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Pentax 60-250mm tight zooming

Hi. I've recently acquired this lens. First tests show excellent image quality. On zooming, though, the lens appears to be slightly "tight" starting at around 85-100 mm and feeling that way up to 200. From 60 to 100 it seems easier to zoom; same thing with 200 - 250. It may be that Pentax designed the lens to prevent any "creep" which might explain this or it may be that the lens is new. But i'm wondering if any other users have experienced this issue with this lens. Thanks! geraldan

04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geraldan Quote
Hi. I've recently acquired this lens. First tests show excellent image quality. On zooming, though, the lens appears to be slightly "tight" starting at around 85-100 mm and feeling that way up to 200. From 60 to 100 it seems easier to zoom; same thing with 200 - 250. It may be that Pentax designed the lens to prevent any "creep" which might explain this or it may be that the lens is new. But i'm wondering if any other users have experienced this issue with this lens. Thanks! geraldan
mine has a pretty consistent zoom feel across the range
04-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've only used one very briefly but I can't remember it feeling overly tight at any length. Though it seems common with lenses that protrudes heavily when zooming, possibly due to air movement. As long as it's still easy to move and smooth I doubt there is any big problem and maybe it loosens up with time.

The zoom of Sigma 150-500 is overly tight in an attempt to prevent creeping but Sigma failed considerably in comparison and ended up a lens that creeps heavily with a very tight zoom ring.

Maybe somebody with the lens will answer.
04-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My 60-250 zoom ring was a little stiff when new, but uniformly so. A little "working it in" and it's been fine ever since. No zoom creep, either! Very tight tolerances on the Pentax mechanism...

Not sure what you're experiencing, unless you find you're only moving between the lower focal lengths and not so much with the longer ones.

04-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #5

Mine might feel a little tighter at around 135mm but it's so little that it's hard to tell and nothing that I've noticed earlier.
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

mine is tight in the same range and one that I had before was. I have no zoom creep though.
04-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks

Thank you for all your responses!
04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine is not 100% uniform in resistance across the range either, but I don't know that I'd call it especially rough or tight at any length. I don't think I've used it enough yet to determine whether this will change much over time.

I think for me the biggest surprise when mine first arrived was with just how much effective focal length is lost at close focus due to internal focus (IF) design. Practically speaking, maybe not such a big deal but I was kind of shocked how at minimum focus distance the field of view barely changes as you zoom from (say) 160-250mm to the point where I was initially wondering whether something was wrong.

04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The zoom of Sigma 150-500 is overly tight
Agree, handled one and thought the same.
04-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

On zooming, though, the lens appears to be slightly "tight" starting at around 85-100 mm and feeling that way up to 200. From 60 to 100 it seems easier to zoom; same thing with 200 - 250. It may be that Pentax designed the lens to prevent any "creep" which might explain this or it may be that the lens is new. But i'm wondering if any other users have experienced this issue with this lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
My 60-250 zoom ring was a little stiff when new, but uniformly so. A little "working it in" and it's been fine ever since. No zoom creep, either! Very tight tolerances on the Pentax mechanism...
Mine was tigher at the tele end when new, now it's "almost new" but already I do not notice any difference in friction. The tight tolerances do mean there should never be any zoom creep.