Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma Antique Store Find

I just got my first camera. A brand new K-5 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I was in an antique store today and saw this Sigma lens for 25 dollars. It had a leather case as well. Its a 50-200mm lens. It says it's for a Pentax K. Is this a good lens? what would I need, as far as adapters, to get it to work on my k-5 Thanks.

Last edited by liquid85; 04-07-2014 at 05:15 PM.
04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know anything about the lens itself as to whether or not the optics are any good, but it will definitely mount onto and work with your K-5 without an adapter. Since it's not an "A" lens, you'll have to use manual mode and the green button to get good exposures.

HTH.
04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No adapter needed if it has K-mount. No idea about the quality of the lens itself. Looks like a mount adapter on the bottom, maybe YS?
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Modern zoom lenses have gotten pretty good, but when it comes to old lenses, zooms are usually not what you're looking for. If you can get it for next to nothing (or less!), it might be fun to play with, but otherwise my advise would be to save your money for old primes. I don't collect old lenses, but there are plenty of people on here who could tell you about some better uses for that $25 on eBay.

I did have an old Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 for my K-x at one time, and I got some really fantastic pictures from it. Kinda of fun to use too. I think the M 50mm 1.7 goes for $35 - $50 in good condition on eBay, and it's definitely money well-spent. I found that the images from that lens had a special quality, and it was pretty sharp too.

04-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! Buying old lenses can be thrilling and disappointing. As Edgar said, old zooms are more often than not disappointing (although not all) and older primes are more variable but more likely to be a cheap thrill. K mount is what tells you that it will fit on you dSLR. M42 is the older screw type mount and you do need an adapter for those lenses.

Lots of info here on this issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/99767-comprehe...s-reviews.html

I think this thread is the best of the bunch:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
04-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Shoot with it and post pics here to show us what it can do and will likely we decent at least. Out and shoot with it, now!
04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No adapter needed if it has K-mount. No idea about the quality of the lens itself. Looks like a mount adapter on the bottom, maybe YS?
It wouldn't be YS. There was no K mount adapter for YS...

04-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had that lens for a while that came in part of a package deal. It was significantly better than the Pentax M series zoom of the same era.

I say shoot with it. My copy was an above average performer for the era.
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
I say shoot with it. My copy was an above average performer for the era.
I don't think the OP had already purchased the lens when he posted this, so the question is whether it's worth his $25. My vote would be to save his money.
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't think the OP had already purchased the lens when he posted this, so the question is whether it's worth his $25. My vote would be to save his money.
I would agree, most of those old zooms are a big disappointment. For that $25 you may find and old 135/2.8 or another old prime that will be much better.
04-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like to think I've been fairly lucky with my old zooms so far - I haven't hit one that's been truly bad.

In my experience though all these old vintage zooms need hoods, and badly. If you remember that the coatings aren't up to today's standards and that shooting in various lighting conditions can give you a wide range of effects, you should do OK with it if you think its worth the 25 dollar gamble.

I'd sooner spend a bit more and get a 'A' lens of that size though. Manual focus + varying aperture + manual/stop down metering = a juggling act. I never realized just how much until I started shooting with vintage A lenses instead of M ones. Primes are one ting since the aperture remains fairly stable, but as soon as you start having to adjust on the fly depending on how far you've zoomed? Ugh.

Having the lens do its own thing and meter properly is so handy when out and about its not funny.
04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I like to think I've been fairly lucky with my old zooms so far - I haven't hit one that's been truly bad.

In my experience though all these old vintage zooms need hoods, and badly. If you remember that the coatings aren't up to today's standards and that shooting in various lighting conditions can give you a wide range of effects, you should do OK with it if you think its worth the 25 dollar gamble.

I'd sooner spend a bit more and get a 'A' lens of that size though. Manual focus + varying aperture + manual/stop down metering = a juggling act. I never realized just how much until I started shooting with vintage A lenses instead of M ones. Having the lens do its own thing and meter properly is so when out and about.
+1 on the hood. I have a Pentax K45-125 that is a dream to use, but only with a hood. It's like a bag full of primes. It's two drawbacks are weight and a loose push-pull mechanism (common to this design). It's rendering is beautiful and it's range is fairly useful. At times I have had it in my bag when in a city with two small primes (15 & 35) and its been a very solid contributor.
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
+1 on the hood. I have a Pentax K45-125 that is a dream to use, but only with a hood. It's like a bag full of primes. It's two drawbacks are weight and a loose push-pull mechanism (common to this design). It's rendering is beautiful and it's range is fairly useful. At times I have had it in my bag when in a city with two small primes (15 & 35) and its been a very solid contributor.
I had to go in and make a custom setting for the 70-210mm I'm using for the Single In challenge I'm using it for this month. Lens is sharp as a tack, but when I shot it in daylight it screamed "Hey, get that 80's washed out effect without need of a time machine!"

That doesn't even touch on the fringing.
04-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
You could always let it sit there a couple weeks and if no one buys it offer them 15 dollars they will probably take it. With the prices thrift stores and antique shops throw out on old camera equipment a lot of their stuff seems to sit, at least where im at.
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I picked one of those Sigma's up in a bag of Minolta gear a while back, I tried it on a Minolta XD7 film camera and a Sony NEX, it was dreadful, I gave it away in the end. Save your $25 for some old primes is good advice. There are some good zooms out there, but those Sigma's are not among them.