Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
But you kept the DA15 Why is your FA43 grayed out in your signature?
Ha, well the DA15 is hanging on.. just .. it's advantage is that it falls outside the range of my 18-135 (and my RX100) and the 12-24 has poor flare resistance and a huge hood. However I've barely used it in the past 6 months and had I not owned it already I probably wouldn't buy it now.

The FA43 is greyed out as I don't have a url link to a flickr set for it. There is a signature length limit on this forum and I'm right on it already meaning I can't link to any more sets. To make it clear: I currently own the 15, 31, 43, 50 & 77 primes. I've sold a 21, 40, 50/1.2 & 70 and of those the only one I regret selling is the 50/1.2.

Good luck with your decision

04-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Ha, well the DA15 is hanging on.. just .. it's advantage is that it falls outside the range of my 18-135 (and my RX100) and the 12-24 has poor flare resistance and a huge hood. However I've barely used it in the past 6 months and had I not owned it already I probably wouldn't buy it now.

The FA43 is greyed out as I don't have a url link to a flickr set for it. There is a signature length limit on this forum and I'm right on it already meaning I can't link to any more sets. To make it clear: I currently own the 15, 31, 43, 50 & 77 primes. I've sold a 21, 40, 50/1.2 & 70 and of those the only one I regret selling is the 50/1.2.

Good luck with your decision
I'm dumping the 18-135 for one of those DA Primes . I've got an RX100 too. The photo's are impressive on that little point and shoot.
04-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #33
Pentaxian

The gap between 15mm and 43mm is huge - I use both lenses but often add the FA* 24mm to the bag if it's a landscape day
04-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been (and am still) the happy owner of the 15 and 43 but I had to buy the 21 last month because I needed something in-between.

In my opinion it really depends on what you are planning to shoot.

To me the DA15 is a rather specialized lens, so if you plan to shoot landscapes/cityscapes extensively then go for it.

I find the DA21 more versatile since it's good for landscapes, street photography, close-ups, and even for portraits. Also it's a tad faster. So it's a good all-around lens and I think I'm gonna use it more often than the 15 in the long run.

I've been told once that a good rule of thumb when building a prime lens kit is to multiply and divide your "normal" focal lens by 2. So since you have the 43 the logical choice would be around 21mm

IQ-wise, I would rate the 15 a tad better than the 21.

04-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I've been (and am still) the happy owner of the 15 and 43 but I had to buy the 21 last month because I needed something in-between.

In my opinion it really depends on what you are planning to shoot.

To me the DA15 is a rather specialized lens, so if you plan to shoot landscapes/cityscapes extensively then go for it.

I find the DA21 more versatile since it's good for landscapes, street photography, close-ups, and even for portraits. Also it's a tad faster. So it's a good all-around lens and I think I'm gonna use it more often than the 15 in the long run.

I've been told once that a good rule of thumb when building a prime lens kit is to multiply and divide your "normal" focal lens by 2. So since you have the 43 the logical choice would be around 21mm

IQ-wise, I would rate the 15 a tad better than the 21.
So the IQ between the 15 & 21 really isn't a game changer then?
04-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go with the FA 20mm instead of either the DA21mm or the DA 15mm. I really love that lens. The main problem with the FA 24mm is that there are more than a few bad copies out there. I've owned 2 (one bought from Henry's in Canada and the other bought at KEH) and neither lasted a week. Both were un-useable at anything under F/4.0 and one was badly decentered to boot. I gave up and got the Sigma F/1.8 instead, a brick of a lens but reasonably sharp, good color rendition, close focus ability and at F/1.8 fast enough.
The FA 20mm F/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses, small, lightweight, very sharp, even wide open and the beautiful Pentax color. Great bokeh also. I found mine several years ago for @ $600, I haven't looked lately but it's probably gone up some. However if Pentax releases the FF everyone is all gaga about, it's price will certainly increase. I used it in last June in the "Single in June" challenge. You can see a fair number of samples with it here

NaCl(light, fast, sharp, good rendition and close focus...what's not to like?)H2O
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I would go with the FA 20mm instead of either the DA21mm or the DA 15mm. I really love that lens.
You know that does intrigue me. I absolutely love the FA 43, and buying this would keep me in the FA family of lenses. Unfortunately I only see one for sale on fleabay, but it might be fun as a conquest to find the "right one"
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did some comparison pricing between the DA 21 and the FA 20. It seems the FA 20 goes for nearly $250 more. I'm wondering if its worth the added cost?

04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
Pentaxian

It seems the FA 20 goes for nearly $250 more. I'm wondering if its worth the added cost?
Do you believe that full frame shooting is in your future?
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Do you believe that full frame shooting is in your future?
No absolutely not.
04-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Of all the lenses I have, the most frequently used are the FA 43 and FA* 24. I traded my DA 15 with another forum member for his FA* 24. I absolutely love the 24. It is fast, sharp and renders beautifully, much like the 43. I never got along with my 15, as it was probably a bit too wide for me.

While I loved the flare resistance of the 15, I wasn't a huge fan of its IQ. It wasn't bad, but it didn't fit in with my other primes. Others have said it's a specialty lens, and I completely agree. On the other hand, my 24 and 43 both have incredible IQ and sharpness, even wide open. That right there tells me they are worth the extra money.

I think my FA* 24 replicates the rendering of the 43 and 77 better than any other lens I've owned.
04-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

No absolutely not.
In that case, it's probably not worth your while
to shell out the extra for the FA 20.