Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I once heard a definition that a pancake should protrude approximately 1" (25.4mm) or less from the mount. That makes sense to me. Current Pentax pancakes would be the DA 21, 40 and 70 and the FA 43.

04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
It's about the same length as the Color-Skopar, and that's considered a pancake:

Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II Aspherical (Canon EOS) - Lab Test / Review

"it is a ultra-wide angle pancake lens"
I don't know if the Voigtlander is a pancake but Klaus calls the DA 15mm a pancake, and it is not.
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another source that considers the Color-Skopar to be a pancake:

Voigtlander Color Skopar 20 mm f/3.5 SL II Aspherical review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Quoting:

“Pancake” type lenses enjoy widespread popularity among photographers. It is not always a rational feeling - such devices feature average fastness and the offered image quality on the edge of the frame is not of the highest calibre. Despite that fact perhaps everyone is tempted by their small dimensions, which, combined with a slight reflex camera, can make a discreet journalistic photography possible. Apart from that perhaps it would be difficult to find a person who doesn’t like a well-made “pancake” attached a reflex camera’s or mirrorless camera’s body.
We’ve managed to test several „pancakes” so far. Now the time has come for a record-breaker in this category. We think about the Voigtlander Color Skopar 20 mm f/3.5 SL II Aspherical model which, in spite of its diminutive dimensions, can provide the widest angle of view of all “pancakes” available on the market.
04-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't know if the Voigtlander is a pancake but Klaus calls the DA 15mm a pancake, and it is not.
The word "pancake" clearly means different things to different people.
For Klaus, it may just mean a lens whose length is shorter than its diameter.

04-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked for definitions "Pancake Lens" and found nothing satisfactory except it is a colloquial term meaning the length is less than diameter.
The first time I saw the term was when I joined PF. As far as i recall it was not used in 1970's when the small 40 mm 35 mm slr lenses came about. ??

Some reading today when I did the lens diagram ( I am a novice on lenses and their history) indicates the 40 mm slr pancakes might be based on a mini variant of the early 1900's Tessars which allowed an angle of view to about 60 degrees with good fidelity, compactness, and unit focus.
04-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I looked for definitions "Pancake Lens" and found nothing satisfactory except it is a colloquial term meaning the length is less than diameter.

But even with that there are strange lenses that could be classed as a "pancake" lens.

Ie: mirror lenses:

I think everybody has their own definition, I don't really have a set definition, but I wouldn't really call anything thicker than my finger a pancake lens.

Just like how if I was served a 1 inch thick "pancake" at a cafe I'd consider it more just a cake.

So what would be a thin and small diameter lens? a Pikelet lens?
04-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Voigtländer 90/3.5 is pretty much the closests thing to a "modern" 100mm pancake I know.
Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO Lanthar SL Lens Reviews - Voigtlander Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
04-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Just like how if I was served a 1 inch thick "pancake" at a cafe I'd consider it more just a cake. So what would be a thin and small diameter lens? a Pikelet lens?
...i'm having a strange craving for maple syrup.

04-11-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Indeed, it's a cupcake lens.
04-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Indeed, it's a cupcake lens.
LOL! Yes, that I could go with.
04-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Hahaha cupcake! We should name all lenses after cakes. The 560mm would be a wedding cake, I assume? Big, many layers, white, too expensive, can only have it on special occasions..