Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New lens for wildlife

After much research I decided to buy a new and non Pentax lens. It's a Sigma 150-500mm.

I bought it, as I do a lot of wildlife photography particularly in the winter months...which up here often stretch out to 5 1/2 months plus. In fact we still have about 2-3 deep worth of snow on our yard.

I recall the moment, I thought that it was time to consider a longer telephoto. In February, I was out in the south eastern part of the province I live in, taking some photos of Great Gray Owls, Northern Hawk Owls and a Pileated Woodpecker with my Pentax 55-300 mm. I could get the Owls and the Pileated...but I had to crop more than I would of preferred. At the time I was thinking if only I had a 500 mm.

I've had the 55-300 lens since June 2008...when they first came out and I really like it. Light and although it's only a consumer level lens....my copy at least is very sharp.

But I'm finding that the 'reach' is not quite enough for me.

Hopefully the Sigma 150-500 will address this issue.

I've only had it out once so far at a local shopping mall...testing it on commercial signage.

Took about 90 photo's....from F 6.3 on....tried Aperture priority and shutter priority.

So far I've found that while F 6.3, F 8 are fine....F 11 really seems to be the sweet spot for this lens.

I'm looking forward to using it for wildlife...also I think it will be good at the car and motorcycle racetrack.

I also know now....why many in photography refer to these lenses as 'Bigma's'.......it's quite a size and weight for an old codger like myself.

04-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you like mirrors, 500mm means Big I have an old 400mm Hanimar and that's plenty Big for me, a borderline codger.
The 55-300 is impressive but it cannot do everything - enjoy the new Big lens!
04-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When all else fails with this lens on wildlife, stick a big flash on your camera and use all manual settings to blast the animals. It can make a very big difference.

Now about being a codger, I am probably the same vintage (we get better as we get older). If you are desperate to get the photo you will go through what ever it will takes including the extra weight of the flash.
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good buy, it's much better than its reputation on a lot of forums. People tend to compare these kind of consumer lenses with beasts like the Sigma 500/4.5 and who in their right mind find that fair? All in all there's more than enough image quality for the price if you ask me.

Snowy grounds is wonderful with this lens as it makes things brighter, and that lens is hungry for light!

04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really like my Sigma 150-500! I am sure you will love yours!