Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Looking for clarity on Sigma DG vs pre DG lenses

OK, there are a lot of Sigma lenses on the market, and some of them have been around for a reasonably long time.
The lenses currently being produced are marketed under the categories DC, DG, and DN
DC lenses are designed for cropped sensor cameras, DG's are optimized for full frame DSLRs or film SLRs but are still useful for (and often sold for) use with APS-C cameras, and DNs are built for mirrorless cameras.
DG's are the lenses that I'm most curious about, because they seem to be the most versatile.
Before this last generation (to my understanding), there were simply 'Sigma EX' lenses, not optimized for digital sensors. These lenses are still abundant on the market for marginally lower prices than their DG, DC, or DN successors. I've found it difficult to get any kind of straight talk on the fundamental differences between the two lens types (DG vs pre DG) and what they mean for the end product, the image itself.
Does anyone have any input or experience on the subject?

Last edited by stu_manchu; 04-10-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: clarification
04-11-2013, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stu_manchu Quote
OK, there are a lot of Sigma lenses on the market, and some of them have been around for a reasonably long time.
The lenses currently being produced are marketed under the categories DC, DG, and DN
DC lenses are designed for cropped sensor cameras, DG's are optimized for full frame DSLRs or film SLRs but are still useful for (and often sold for) use with APS-C cameras, and DNs are built for mirrorless cameras.
DG's are the lenses that I'm most curious about, because they seem to be the most versatile.
Before this last generation (to my understanding), there were simply 'Sigma EX' lenses, not optimized for digital sensors. These lenses are still abundant on the market for marginally lower prices than their DG, DC, or DN successors. I've found it difficult to get any kind of straight talk on the fundamental differences between the two lens types (DG vs pre DG) and what they mean for the end product, the image itself.
Does anyone have any input or experience on the subject?
Here is arecent topic on this: Sigma 100-300mm f4 non-DG
I have two Sigmas, the 180mm macro EX non DG and the 15-30 EX DG.
I havent noticed any differences with my macro lens, but I know there was some discussion about certain light conditions and reflections.

I think the condition of the front element is a bigger issue than the missing DG label when buying used.

Seb
04-11-2013, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
EX = excellent. These are the professional grade lenses, so the best Sigma lenses are given this designation. The EX designation has nothing to do with whether they are APS or FF, new or old lenses. New professional sigma lenses will be marked as EX DG or EX DC.

DG (FF image circle) and DC (APS only) are both for digital sensors, the difference between any lenses with a D designation and the older lenses for film, is multi-coating of the REAR lens element. This is because digital sensors are more reflective than film, so it's possible to get reflections off the sensor back onto the lens when using lenses designed for film cameras. This shows up as a loss of contrast.

See this brochure:
http://www2nd.sigma-photo.co.jp/downloads/catalog/SIGMA-lens-En.pdf