Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Something to be aware of:

There are gazillions of K Mount and M42 Mount lenses in the world. Many of them come up on eBay. Many eBay sellers offer Buy It Now prices on these lenses that are vastly inflated.

Because there are so many of these lenses around, you don't need to act fast and grab the first one you see--you'll likely pay too much.

The best strategy is to decide which lens, or lenses interest you, and then research what they are going for on eBay. Do a search and use the "completed listings" option. Now you can search eBay for the lens(es) you want knowing what people are actually paying.

The M50 1.7 is common as dirt, only a teensy bit slower than the 1.4, and has better image quality. I bought 2 of them last month--$45 for the pair, and got a camera body as well.

Check the lens reviews on this site to get a sense of what lenses are available, and how people generally like them, and then you'll know what you're looking for.

And don't be in a hurry. The lens you want will eventually show up at the price you want to pay. Be patient.

Last edited by johnyates; 04-11-2013 at 11:06 AM.
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samysarena Quote
Hello Everybody,

I am new to Pentax world, been looking around this forum to purchase Lenses but most of the for sale item ads are either grabbed before you could have a chance to buy them and some ads are quite confusing with multiple items being sold and hard to trace out from the owner if it is sold out or still available.

In such a scenario I keep looking at ebay, which seems to be last option when you have no other choice to look around.

I just got to win this lens from Ebay bid, does it look good for the price of $102 or the pics of the ad look worked out. How much should you be paying for similar lens on pentax forums or elsewhere. It lens cap says Made in Taiwan and on top of lens it says Made in Japan. Any thing alarming?

SMC Pentax M 1 1 4 50mm Asahi Opt Lens for Pentax 6723451 | eBay

Appreciate your response

Thanks
Sam
I think what you're actually saying is you were the high bidder here, and are now in the phase familiar to many eBay buyers: did I just make a mistake? I agree with others, the price is high - shipping too. But it's maybe $20-30 high if the lens is in good shape. If this lens were being made today by some fancy name, they'd be selling it for $800 and talking about its all-metal construction, hand-assembly, etc. I would just forget about price.

The front cap is typical for this lens. The back cap is typical for the KA mount pentaxes, that's why it says Taiwan. It's more useful than the original because it has an added flange to cover the contacts on the newer lenses. Everything looks OK in the photos. There's no good shot of the rear element. I think you'll be OK.

When you get the lens, focus through the entire range. That should be smooth and even from one end to the other. Set the aperture ring to f22. Flick the aperture lever on the back and the blades should open fully, then snap shut. Then turn the aperture ring to f1.4. There should be a click at each marked position and some of the half positions. The blades should move as the ring turns. The glass should be clear and unscratched with no little webby things. The front barrel shouldn't be loose. The lens should focus to infinity. That's about it.
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys!! I am overwhelmed with the support and response I got from all of you. That's some great knowledge. I do keep reading lots of posts here but to tell truth I've not had any DSLR of my own so far. Coming from Canon point and shoot S3IS. I do have some experience playing with others DSLR but nothing much.

Its very hard for me to find out lens as cheap as many of you guys suggest on Ebay as most of them have inflated prices, may be I am searching wrong. But thats how it look to me.

Looking to buy at PentaxForums classified is also not easy job, you've to read posts which are at times confusing many guys post 10 plus lens for sale here and then its hard to know which are available. Secondly its not guaranteed that if you PM some one with interest and you would be the buyer.

I think I should keep looking for lenses, but hey I am yet to get a Pentax body!! Silly me collecting lenses before body. :P

Last edited by samysarena; 04-11-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
So any one willing to sell their possession for 50

04-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I am yet to get a Pentax body!!
Aye, but that's any easy fix, just pull the trigger on one.

Silly me collecting lenses before body. :P
Not at all, your just giving your LBA a bit of a head start.