Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.4 50mm ASAHI OPT..Is it good lens to buy please suggest...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello Everybody,

I am new to Pentax world, been looking around this forum to purchase Lenses but most of the for sale item ads are either grabbed before you could have a chance to buy them and some ads are quite confusing with multiple items being sold and hard to trace out from the owner if it is sold out or still available.

In such a scenario I keep looking at ebay, which seems to be last option when you have no other choice to look around.

I just got to win this lens from Ebay bid, does it look good for the price of $102 or the pics of the ad look worked out. How much should you be paying for similar lens on pentax forums or elsewhere. It lens cap says Made in Taiwan and on top of lens it says Made in Japan. Any thing alarming?

SMC Pentax M 1 1 4 50mm Asahi Opt Lens for Pentax 6723451 | eBay

Appreciate your response

Thanks
Sam

Last edited by samysarena; 04-10-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added more detail.
04-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are better performers optically, though if you use a lens hood, or even a step-down ring(49->28mm), you'll get rather nice results. $102 is on the high end of normal for pricing, though.
04-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
There are better performers optically, though if you use a lens hood, or even a step-down ring(49->28mm), you'll get rather nice results. $102 is on the high end of normal for pricing, though.
Thanks for your reply, can you please suggest the model names which are much better optically for the same price range. I would love to look around for those as well.
04-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
$102 is on the high end of normal for pricing, though.
Depends on the market.
Here in Australia you can't get a 1.4 for under $150-$200 (unless of course the seller has no idea it's anything more than "a lens from a camera")

04-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Depends on the market.
Here in Australia you can't get a 1.4 for under $150-$200 (unless of course the seller has no idea it's anything more than "a lens from a camera")
I agree with you prices differ from region to region. But what I am not sure if this lens in ad looks good enough. Seller says mint condition but nothing known about blade fungus etc. Pictures look like cleaned up confused buy or not. I committed bid in hurry.
04-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
$104 is a bit high. But hey, when I was new to Pentax I made worse bid than that because of sheer excitement and stupi....

Your best guide will be to look at the reviews of various glasses here.

M50 f1.4 needs a hood, but if you were to ask me, may I suggest that you look for an A50 f/1.7. The A50 is much easier to use, and sharper wide open, and only less than a stop slower. The drawback of the A50? The M50 is better built.

I have both 50s among other 50s.

Good luck!
04-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. Welcome to Pentax world.

You don't say if you have some experience with another camera system or not?

Have you had a look at the review section on this site yet?
If not a couple of examples of lenses you might be interested in (the reviews often list what the users paid for the lenses by the way which is a useful guide):
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have both of these lenses and while the M series has the better build, I like the A 50 f1.4 better for its sheer convenience (and my copy performs better optically as well).

Unfortunately its pretty hard to judge the condition of a lens online. I like the ones that show clear photos of the lens including views looking through the glass (one of the bigger problems is fungus growing inside the lens) and also I usually ask if the lens is clear of fungus and if the aperture blades are sticky or not. Sometimes I go to the length of describing how the seller how to inspect the lens.
It is better if you are able to inspect the lens but thats not a feature of online auctions.

Lots of people here can tell you how to inspect a lens (I'm happy to help but many people are more experience than me) so feel free to ask if this is what you are looking for.

04-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Fret not, by the way, if the item isn't usable, eBay buyer protection covers Fungi and such, provided it wasn't mentioned.(Or sold "As-Is")
04-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You might also want to look at the slightly more common Pentax M 50mm f1.7. It is also a good performer, maybe even a little sharper, but not quite as fast. It is usually much cheaper, though.
With these old lenses it is also great if you can find a good lens hood. And make sure you know how to meter and use manual lenses. There are a couple of threads on this exact topic, so maybe a little search can help you out, a well as the lens reviews section
Oh, but btw, any Pentax 50mm will perform well, even the cheapest f2.0. Its just a matter of what condition it is in and how much you are willing to pay for it
04-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samysarena Quote
Hello Everybody,

I am new to Pentax world, been looking around this forum to purchase Lenses but most of the for sale item ads are either grabbed before you could have a chance to buy them and some ads are quite confusing with multiple items being sold and hard to trace out from the owner if it is sold out or still available.

In such a scenario I keep looking at ebay, which seems to be last option when you have no other choice to look around.

I just got to win this lens from Ebay bid, does it look good for the price of $102 or the pics of the ad look worked out. How much should you be paying for similar lens on pentax forums or elsewhere. It lens cap says Made in Taiwan and on top of lens it says Made in Japan. Any thing alarming?

SMC Pentax M 1 1 4 50mm Asahi Opt Lens for Pentax 6723451 | eBay

Appreciate your response

Thanks
Sam
Relax. It's an excellent lens. Some say softer than the 1.7 wide open. OK it is a bit, but a hood will minimize the difference and it has nicer bokeh. And stopped down it is better than the 1.7 (I have both). The price is fine. You might get it cheaper, but equally you might not. If it's in good condition you have not been ripped off.

There is no better introduction to the world of Pentax manual lenses. Enjoy it and post some examples of what you do with it.
04-11-2013, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You can't really go wrong with any of the nifty 50's from Pentax.
04-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

People have given you good advice, particularly with regard to using a hood. The lens design and placement of the 50/1.4s leaves the front element more exposed than any other Pentax 50 and it therefore requires a hood more than any other Pentax 50.
04-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a few 1:1.4 and 1;2 50mm in Pentax and Rikenon.
At f/2.8 and higher I can not tell them apart.
I don't recall ever taking a useful shot below 1:2. I tried to take an indoor statue on 35 mm film in India at f/2 and the DOF was too small.

One reason to prefer the 1:1.4 is that they are definitely easier to focus in low light.
On the other hand the 1:2 are smaller for travel.
04-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It's a good lens, no doubt. My Brother kidnapped mine to use it on his Samsung NX.
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should also read this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html it tells you how to work with manual lenses like the Pentax-M series.