Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #1

How do I convert a Vivitar 70-210 seiries 1 to K mount

A good photographer friend told me if I had the chance to get a vivitar series 1 lens, buy it. Well I found a vivitar 70-210 series 1, Macro focusing Auto Zoom 67mm lens. With the letters "0/0M" on the side. I got the lens for about $20. There was another one that was mounted to a pentax camera, but I didn't want the camera too... guess I should of bought that one. (both were on a on line auction house, not Ebay).

So I have found that the lens wont fit my Pentax K5.

I found a conversion kit from the UK, but the price was around $110 plus shipping.

The other conversions I found on line are for Leica lenses. There is another possibility on fleebay: Olympus OM lens to Micro 4/3 m4/3 for E-P1 E-P2, for about $15.

I guess I'm camera lens illiterate.

I do have some lenses that I can take apart if I need to make a usable mount. But when it comes to drilling and tapping holes, most of the stuff I have are for Big holes and taps about 3/8" or larger.

Any suggestions?

04-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is the version 1 lens with constant F3.5 aperture and a macro switch near thie aperture ring it is , indeed a fine lens, but. The conversion kit you mention from the UK is meant for OEM lenses not third party ones, as far as I know, and more important is more expensive than the lens currently sells for on ebay.

I would suggest if you really like the lens get the PK version on ebay
04-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That conversion kit is worth more than a P-K version of the lens.

Be wary of series 1 : the first models were indeed gorgeous lenses (I have owned the version 1, constant f3,5, of that lens) but the newer are not so good. Search a bit on Google and you will find all the required information on the lens variations.

In terms of pure quality, those 70-210 (first 3 versions) come close to modern pro-grade zooms, ut with more chromatic aberrations.
04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You might find that a local engineering shop would drill and tap the holes for you cheap enough.
Mark the parts and take them in, not the whole lens, so they can't get metal filings inside it.
If you need screws, try a computer shop for screws out of an old laptop. They will have a bin full from repairs. They are typically 2, 2.5 and 3mm.

Good luck.

04-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
I appreciate the advice and will let you know what happens.
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's an article in the Articles section on converting a Konica mount to P/K, I think the same lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/56234-konica-minolta...ld-lenses.html

Someone gave me this lens with a Minolta mount and I found a P/K version, cheap but broken. So in a drawer I have everything I need except motivation. You would think that the Vivitar guys would have some simple way, three screws and instantly you have a new mount. Instead, each mount is thoroughly integrated into the lens. Swapping is more work than it should be and conversions without machining are really hard, IMO.
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

RioRico has modded OM lens.........

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135398-how-do-...s-k-mount.html

04-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have modded Minolta and Nikon to PK using the flanged M42 adaptor as the mount. For this lens, not worth the effort and time, buy the version 1 lens with constant F3.5 and be done with it
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you convert the lens for the fun of it, go ahead. It's difficult to quantify "fun".

If you're thinking of converting to save money, don't. The money saved, if any, is not worth the frustration and the inconvenience of using the lens.
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There are Pentax lenses such as the A and the F 70-210s that equal the Vivitar in terms of sharpness and offer better flare control and contrast. These lenses are very affordable.

In 1989 I had an A 70-210/4, a first-generation AF NIkkor 80-200/2.8 and the Vivitar Series 1. I tested all 3 under carefully controlled conditions. The Nikkor had the edge in terms of speed and was very sharp. The Pentax was equally sharp but controlled flare better under some conditions. The Vivitar was decently sharp, but not as sharp as the other two at wider apertures, and had relatively high flare.

I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble trying to convert the Vivitar. It just isn't that special.
04-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
There are Pentax lenses such as the A and the F 70-210s that equal the Vivitar in terms of sharpness and offer better flare control and contrast. These lenses are very affordable.

In 1989 I had an A 70-210/4, a first-generation AF NIkkor 80-200/2.8 and the Vivitar Series 1. I tested all 3 under carefully controlled conditions. The Nikkor had the edge in terms of speed and was very sharp. The Pentax was equally sharp but controlled flare better under some conditions. The Vivitar was decently sharp, but not as sharp as the other two at wider apertures, and had relatively high flare.

I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble trying to convert the Vivitar. It just isn't that special.
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to sell it and look for something else.
04-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Gander Quote
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to sell it
That sounds like a good plan, you should get back your $20, without too much problem I would have thought.