Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

40mm Limited or 40mm XS?

Having purchased a K-01 with XS lens, I now have both. I don't really "need" both, so am planning to sell one. Which would you keep and why?

Last edited by Groove; 04-11-2013 at 10:19 AM.
04-11-2013, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I read your message but I would hang onto both. If it's just and either-or argument, the 40 Limited wins because of the better build quality and its size works a bit better on other Pentax cameras. But I'd still hang onto the 40 XS just to use on the K-01. I promise you, if you ever sell the K-01, it'll be worth a lot more with the XS attached. Not just because the camera will come with a lens but because that's the combination that will become the collector's item. I bought a K-01 body-only last year because I already had the 40 Limited. I wish I had spent a bit more at the time and got the XS kit.
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a big quick-shift fan and have some excellent images from the Limited, so I'd keep that. Trouble is you won't get a lot for the XS right now, and Biro makes a good point. If you're not in need of $120± you might as well keep it in a box for a possible future where its nostalgia value rises.
04-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I read your message but I would hang onto both. If it's just and either-or argument, the 40 Limited wins because of the better build quality and its size works a bit better on other Pentax cameras. But I'd still hang onto the 40 XS just to use on the K-01. I promise you, if you ever sell the K-01, it'll be worth a lot more with the XS attached. Not just because the camera will come with a lens but because that's the combination that will become the collector's item.
Yep. What he said.
If it's a matter of needing the money, that's different; but otherwise, keep them both. I couldn't possibly list all of the different things I've sold over the years and later wished I hadn't. I can't think of a single thing I've kept that I wish I had sold.

04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. What he said.
If it's a matter of needing the money, that's different; but otherwise, keep them both. I couldn't possibly list all of the different things I've sold over the years and later wished I hadn't. I can't think of a single thing I've kept that I wish I had sold.
Thanks for the feedback. Good point on future value. I don't really need the $ so I may just put it away in a box.
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since you own both, you are in the perfect position to decide which one you prefer... no one can help you better than yourself
04-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I read your message but I would hang onto both. If it's just and either-or argument, the 40 Limited wins because of the better build quality and its size works a bit better on other Pentax cameras. But I'd still hang onto the 40 XS just to use on the K-01. I promise you, if you ever sell the K-01, it'll be worth a lot more with the XS attached. Not just because the camera will come with a lens but because that's the combination that will become the collector's item. I bought a K-01 body-only last year because I already had the 40 Limited. I wish I had spent a bit more at the time and got the XS kit.
Agree 100%, I don't have the XS and use the limited 40mm on the k-01 mostly. But if you have both and don't urgently need the cash I would keep both. Put the XS in the box and hang onto it. I'm betting it will be worth a lot more down the road.

04-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I suspect, given the recent flood of cheap K-01 and 40 XS kits, there is a bit of an oversupply of the 40XS right now. It is a good time to buy, not that great a time to sell one. I much prefer the limited for looks and handling, IQ seems a wash, so either could be fine.
04-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As I don't buy cameras or lenses to collect but to use the argument to keep the K-01 and 40XS together didn't work for me. I sold my XS and kept my Ltd because optically they are roughly the same, the Ltd has much better build quality, is not meaningfully bigger IMHO, and uses bog standard hoods and filters while the 40XS uses a very unusual size - plus its cap is a pain. Selling off my 40XS reduced the cost of my K-01 to $152 all inclusive. I'll use the K-01 and don't expect it to be around for "collectors" oh those many years in the future.
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As I don't buy cameras or lenses to collect but to use the argument to keep the K-01 and 40XS together didn't work for me. I sold my XS and kept my Ltd because optically they are roughly the same, the Ltd has much better build quality, is not meaningfully bigger IMHO, and uses bog standard hoods and filters while the 40XS uses a very unusual size - plus its cap is a pain. Selling off my 40XS reduced the cost of my K-01 to $152 all inclusive. I'll use the K-01 and don't expect it to be around for "collectors" oh those many years in the future.
Ditto,I did the same thing as Robert and lowered the total cost of ownership of my K-01-- which helped me to justify getting it (to myself and to the wife) in the first place. I also am not a big collector for the sake of it, and I just didn't see myself ever using the XS when I had my limited lens. I agree that rubber push-in cap is a pain to deal with, worse than the screw on one for the limited version IMHO.

But if you don't need the money right now, then yeah, go ahead and put it away in storage for now.
04-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Ditto,I did the same thing as Robert and lowered the total cost of ownership of my K-01-- which helped me to justify getting it (to myself and to the wife) in the first place. I also am not a big collector for the sake of it, and I just didn't see myself ever using the XS when I had my limited lens. I agree that rubber push-in cap is a pain to deal with, worse than the screw on one for the limited version IMHO.

But if you don't need the money right now, then yeah, go ahead and put it away in storage for now.
Just FYI, I bought a squeeze cap to replace the screw in one for the 40 Ltd and am MUCH happier. I think it was $5 for 2 of them on eBay.
04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just FYI, I bought a squeeze cap to replace the screw in one for the 40 Ltd and am MUCH happier. I think it was $5 for 2 of them on eBay.
That is a great idea. The screw cap is a real pain.
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groove Quote
That is a great idea. The screw cap is a real pain.
I agree. The other thing that someone suggested is that if you do use the screw in cap put a small rubber band at the base of the threads and it will help keep it and you won't have to turn it as much. Personally, I prefer the squeeze cap. BTW, its a 30mm cap and has only one area to push because its so small (the 49mm and up sizes have 2 areas).
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My biggest gripe with the metal cap on the 40 Ltd was it rubbing against other stuff in my camera bag. I went really cheap and used the top off a Fuji 35mm film canister.
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
My biggest gripe with the metal cap on the 40 Ltd was it rubbing against other stuff in my camera bag. I went really cheap and used the top off a Fuji 35mm film canister.
- that cap will be more and more dear as the days and months go by.