Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #1

Voigtlander 125mm apo macro or Zeiss 100mm macro

Hi;

I have been a VL 125mm user more than 7 months.It is a lens to die for
Now i bought a zeiss 85mm1.4 ZK Planar and ş am impressed.It is a contrasty and razor sharp lens.
The worst thing about it is un close focusuing Min. focusing distance is 1m !!!
So i have tried to use it with a Kenko 25mm "A" extention tube.Bleave me or not it is as contrasty as VL %98 as sharp as VL altough it is not a macro lens and ex.tube degrades the quality.
So i decided to learn if zeiss 100mm macro would be better than VL 125mm apo.

Can you please discuss it for me a little.

Thank you

03-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The current Zeiss ZK macro can only do 1:2. I don't know if this new version is different from the old Contax Zeiss. But the old Contax Zeiss 100 macro can do 1:1 and it's extremely sharp. I used to have the Contax 60 Makro, and it's indeed very nice. Before i bought my Voigtlander, I did a google search to see its comparison with the old Contax, and some Leica users have to agree that it's as good as the Leica 100 APO macro, which is equivalent to the Contax Zeiss.

Or you can read a brief description of the VL 125 at cameraquest.com. One user compared this to his Zeiss 100, and he saw no different.

By the way, you should try the 77 limited, I believe it's a bit better than the 85 ZK.
03-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
The current Zeiss ZK macro can only do 1:2. I don't know if this new version is different from the old Contax Zeiss. But the old Contax Zeiss 100 macro can do 1:1 and it's extremely sharp. I used to have the Contax 60 Makro, and it's indeed very nice.
The New ZK 100mm macro is indeed supposed to be a new design and should be excellent indeed if its MTF graphs are to be believed, pity it's so hideously expensive. I had the CZ60/2.8 macro too, nice lens.
03-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
The current Zeiss ZK macro can only do 1:2. I don't know if this new version is different from the old Contax Zeiss. But the old Contax Zeiss 100 macro can do 1:1 and it's extremely sharp. I used to have the Contax 60 Makro, and it's indeed very nice. Before i bought my Voigtlander, I did a google search to see its comparison with the old Contax, and some Leica users have to agree that it's as good as the Leica 100 APO macro, which is equivalent to the Contax Zeiss.

Or you can read a brief description of the VL 125 at cameraquest.com. One user compared this to his Zeiss 100, and he saw no different.

By the way, you should try the 77 limited, I believe it's a bit better than the 85 ZK.

The new zeiss 100mm macro has 1:1 ability(Sorry it is 1:2 ) but 50mm macro doesnt.It is 1:2.I have read the photozone review.He says they are nearly the same.
But i am not at the same boat with you obut 77 limited.I think 85 ZK is far away beter than that.May be 77 is a little bit better in bokeh area

Last edited by amati; 03-06-2008 at 05:36 AM.
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #5

Would you mind sharing some photos perhaps in another thread using the 85mm. I am considering this lens but reviews and sample photos are few and far between. Any thoughts you could share would be appreciated.
03-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
Would you mind sharing some photos perhaps in another thread using the 85mm. I am considering this lens but reviews and sample photos are few and far between. Any thoughts you could share would be appreciated.
Here you are.Not portraits but gives idea about the contrast and sharpness.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22255-some-zei...zk-images.html