Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tested both for Pentaxforum's review. Both would serve you well, the extra 10mm is not much but it's there when you need it. f2.8 is great for focusing in dim light. However, be aware that AF is not silent with either lenses (the 60-250 is slowly spoiling me!). I much prefered Pentax's quick-shift to Tamron's focus limiter+clumsy MF switches. If you pree-focus with quick-shift, you won't have problems locking focus afterwards, and once you're in the general ballpark, you will have no problem micro-adjusting quickly and noiselessly, the lens is noisy only when raking the whole range.

A good choice IMHO.

04-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #17

A used FA 100/2.8 would be my choise (and was). It has limiter and doesn´t hunt that easy because of it. Build to last! Heavy but versatile lens.
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought I would use the DFA 100 more for this purpose, but the hunting indoors many other have mentioned severely cramps its use in low light.
04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update all.

I got spooked by the slow focusing and the f2.8 of the macro lenses, so I went for something snappier.

Got the DA 70 ltd instead. Provides a bit more reach, which should be fine for the stated venue. At worst I can crop since it's quite sharp.

Thanks again for the replies. This thread was quite helpful in my decision making process.

05-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Just an update all.

I got spooked by the slow focusing and the f2.8 of the macro lenses, so I went for something snappier.

Got the DA 70 ltd instead. Provides a bit more reach, which should be fine for the stated venue. At worst I can crop since it's quite sharp.

Thanks again for the replies. This thread was quite helpful in my decision making process.
Earl - you could borrow mine depending on the date you need it.
05-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Earl - you could borrow mine depending on the date you need it.
Haha that's all right. I have the Tamron 90 Macro now which should suffice for this event. However, I'm eager to compare the Tamron 90 to its Pentax counterpart, so when we meet I'd like to give your lens a spin.
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Haha that's all right. I have the Tamron 90 Macro now which should suffice for this event. However, I'm eager to compare the Tamron 90 to its Pentax counterpart, so when we meet I'd like to give your lens a spin.
You be no problem I'll bring it along.
05-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #23

I've used both lenses for this kind of purpose. They're both excellent.

In particular, when Occupy Wall Street was at Zuccotti Park, I frequently used the Tamron 90mm to get portraits in the crowd. Even in the dim, shady, crowded world of OWS, I found the Tamron to be an extremely reliable performer.

I have since swapped out the Tamron for the Pentax, but for now the Pentax is mostly used just for true macro work.

Each lens has its ups and downs. Your preference will come down to your own workflow.

The Tamron has a focus limiter, which is important when you're using it in a non-macro context. With the limiter on and when using AF, the Tamron does not hunt for focus, even in low light. The Pentax, however, sometimes hunts in low light in some situations, especially if there are many different things happening on various planes of focus. The Pentax still has good AF - I've only seen it flip out a few times.

However, the Tamron also has a funky clutch-shift focus switch, which many people dislike. It only takes two seconds to switch from AF to MF, but a lot can happen in a second. (To be honest, the process reminds me of clearing the slide on a gun.) This process is doubly weird on a Pentax, because you wind up having to flip both the Tamron's switch and the switch on the camera itself. You get used to it, though.

The Pentax, on the other hand, not only switches to MF in a normal fashion, but it even lets you use Quick Shift. Speaking just for myself, I don't use Quick Shift all that often on any lens, but that's just my own style and lack of practice.

Personally, I think the Tamron has a slight edge as an event lens, simply because of the focus limiter, but it's a very close race. The AF on the Pentax really is fine most of the time.