Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenses for Venice

Ok guys, hopefully a bit of fun...off to Venice at the weekend. I'm aiming to travel light, a body and two-three lenses plus one set of AAs in the K30

Out of lenses in my sig, what would you take and why?

No thoughts are wrong, I'm just intrigued to see what others would attempt to focus on in Venice (I'm thinking I need to get better at imagining what I will capture before I go, rather than the normal belt and braces approach!)

04-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

Hey Pheo, Ive never been to Venice but ill play :P.

The biggest decision for me would be between; the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 8-16. (My personal kit would consist of 31 ltd, 16-50 and 50-135 in Crumpler 5MDH)
Sigma 30 1.4 would be amazing for low light, museums, portraits of you/girlfriend in front of stuff etc.. Personally as a rule I never leave the house without my da 50-135 but mine is being repaired atm ! The Da * 50-135 however, will be great for detail shots, isolating interesting people etc.. you just have to learn to love its size. Sometimes I leave the lens hood off as it reduces its presence on the street.
I think the 8-16mm would be awesome to gain a different perspective. I have been eyeing the lens as my next purchase since viewing heie's (PF member) shots of NZ.

Good Luck, Would love to see the pics when you return
D.Vaughan
04-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm travelling to Venice in a couple of months too I think my 12-24 will do the bulk of the work although I'll have a 18-135 which I expect to use quite a bit, and a FA31 along for the ride as well. My 50-135, 55-300, fa77, da15 etc etc will all stay home.
04-16-2013, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the weather forecast is bad, you should bring a WR lens. When I travel I usually have at least one prime and one zoom with me. The prime for quality photos, for photos in dark places, etc. The zoom for everything the prime can't reach. I try to match it, so for example the DA 35mm and DA L 50-200mm. That way i have a bit of everything. Its also great if you have the 40mm XS, because it is so small you can always slip it into your bag, and it delivers very sharp photos with no distortion. Great for architecture and full body portraits. Though, I also love to have my 50mm f1.7 with me for night time shots. When I visit a city I like to walk around after dusk and take photos of the night life. As long as I feel safe, of course. So for you I would say bring the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Pentax 50-135mm. Maybe the 8-16mm if you enjoy wide angle. Venice is a pretty tight city.

Venice is pretty great, just don't get lost

04-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You definitely need the 8-16 -- plenty of Venice is plenty narrow...
04-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm sorry but for tight streets (Venice!) and small galleries in museums wider is absolutely necessary. Your Sigma 8-16 is dramatically wider than any other lens you own. On trips like that I have seldom longed for a telephoto but have often been irritated by being unable to back away any further from my subject. The 8-16 + 17-50 are an ideal match for such situations IMHO.
04-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the reasons already mentioned, you will regret not having the 8-16 if you leave it behind, and the fast 30 will be invaluable in those dimly-lit interiors.
Whether you take the 17-50 or the 50-135 will depend on what you like shooting. I would probably take the 50-135.
As an aside, consider the K-01 over the K-30. It is smaller, much easier to whip in and out of a bag and less of a thief magnet. The lack of an AA option is not a huge issue; an extra DLi90 is not hard to carry around.

04-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-01 performed flawlessly at Iguazu falls. Unless you fall into a canal, Venice is nowhere near as wet as that.
04-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The same set up I always use for cities these days is wide and fast, in your case from your sig that would be, Sigma 8-16mm HSM and Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC.

Enjoy Venice it's one of my favourite cities in the world.
04-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm sorry but for tight streets (Venice!) and small galleries in museums wider is absolutely necessary. Your Sigma 8-16 is dramatically wider than any other lens you own. On trips like that I have seldom longed for a telephoto but have often been irritated by being unable to back away any further from my subject. The 8-16 + 17-50 are an ideal match for such situations IMHO.
+1

You will want wide. My kit this is the 10-20. I would also take the 17-50.
04-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great responses guys!

Couple of my own thoughts:

1) 8-16mm is not that fast. I'm not taking a tripod. I wonder if I will run into problems.
2) My day bag will be a small crumpler one with room for one body (lens attached) plus 2 additional lenses. I could probably get away with one more lens in the suitcase (I'm doing carryon only)
3) I'd love to take the 50mm instead of the 30mm due to me finding quite a lot of purple fringing on the 30mm F1.4... but alas having tried, its too wide to include
4) 50-135mm will fit in bag sans hood. Probably a good thing, its hardly subtle with the hood on! Not sure about the balance on the K-01, will check later.

Interesting point about the K-01. I'm not planning on taking a battery charger, hence thinking of taking the K30+AAs as I can buy some more. Having said that, I have 3xBatteries for it, which should be ~1200-1500 shots one would think, so perhaps I'm worrying too much. It'd certainly be easier to fit into the bag due to the lack of mirror box! Only perceived disadvantage is the lack of WR - Although this is dependent on me taking the 50-135mm, which is not a cert (but boy, I do love this lens!)
04-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
DA* 50-135mm WR SDM / Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 / Sigma 8-16mm HSM / Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DC HSM
Two out of the three zooms and one of the two primes. Depending on your style. for me, 17mm is plenty wide, but since you have a 8-16 you might prefer wider. The 50-135 will be useful for boat pictures, arhitectural details, etc. Decide if that's your thing. for nighttime, I'd probably bring the 30 (myself would bring the DA21 and F50) but if you prefer tigher composition bring the 50 instead.
04-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #13

My suggestion (I am Italian and Ihave been in Venice quite a few times):

Go for the extreme: 8-16mm and 50-135mm (the first for landscapes and street views, the second for portraits and close up for architectural details).

Regarding light, yes it might be a problem, but the K-30 with high ISO should do the job. The last time I was there I had a 18-250mm and I took a boat of a friend and did a tour of the Laguna during night time. Not all shots were good but the some of them came out definitely nice even during night time (despite the lens being slow).

Edit: I forgot to add.... I am zoom guy, so I was biased towards zoom. But if you want primes I would use the same criteria: go for the extremes

This is one of the shot I took:
04-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #14

I was in venice also last year and took my K20+16-50+50-135+AF540 and worked perfect.... based on your sig I would take the K30+17-50+50-135... take or leave the flash based on your shooting style but it will be useful if you want to take nighttime portraits on the many bridges .. 30 1.4 is good in low light but I think that the depth of field will cause you issues shooting wide open as the background will so so oof that you could be anywhere in the world....
you dont mention in your sig but I could also suggest a tripod if available to you.
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
My suggestion (I am Italian and Ihave been in Venice quite a few times):

Go for the extreme: 8-16mm and 50-135mm (the first for landscapes and street views, the second for portraits and close up for architectural details).

Regarding light, yes it might be a problem, but the K-30 with high ISO should do the job. The last time I was there I had a 18-250mm and I took a boat of a friend and did a tour of the Laguna during night time. Not all shots were good but the some of them came out definitely nice even during night time (despite the lens being slow).

Edit: I forgot to add.... I am zoom guy, so I was biased towards zoom. But if you want primes I would use the same criteria: go for the extremes

This is one of the shot I took:
That's a lovely shot - I swear I saw it somewhere other than here before.

Maybe I can take the 50-135, 8-16 and 30mm... Humm that might work...