Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA cured? Last piece acquired?

Today I picked up a long awaiting piece for my Pentax lens collection... The FA 43mm Limited. At the current Canadian sale price @ Broadmore camera, and the fact most local shops will price match, $539 for this lens was a steal compared to usual Canadian prices that creep up to the $1000 mark on a regular basis. Now I feel a sense of completion... but I'm also saddened because what do I hunt for now? I feel I got all I need.

Lets look at my best lens options? We won't include all the M's and other lenses here... just the ones I'll keep in circulation in the bag.

FA 31mm
FA 43mm
FA 77mm
DA 40mm
DA*55mm
DA 10-17mm
DA* 15-50mm
DA* 50-135mm

135 is 9 times out of 10 enough zoom reach for me, and to be honest, 31 is encroaching on too wide for my every day uses. I'd rather sit @ 15mm and f2.8 any day than 31mm for some reason... but I do a lot of low light, hence why I am not seeking out the DA 15 or 21 Limiteds.

So for me, my goals are complete. I think that is a pretty solid line up of lenses that has no glaring holes. I guess I could use a DA*60-250 if a good deal came up though....

04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
\I guess I could use a DA*60-250 if a good deal came up though....
LBA cured, huh? That DA*60-250 is going to haunt you unit you give in...
You know you're lying to yourself; LBA is a bottomless black pit and there is no escape.

Anyway, you've got a pretty great set-up there and congrats on your new lens, have fun shooting!
04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
LBA cured, huh? That DA*60-250 is going to haunt you unit you give in...
You know you're lying to yourself; LBA is a bottomless black pit and there is no escape.

Anyway, you've got a pretty great set-up there and congrats on your new lens, have fun shooting!
nope, I've decied... the DA*60-250 won't be haunting me anytime soon.

The DA 35mm Limited Macro on the other hand.... that one could be the next big thing for me!

What is my biggest issue when visiting my nieces and nephews or just hanging out at friends? The DA40, FA 31, and DA*55 all do not focus close enough, especially when my niece and I are chilling on the couch trying to take photos of each other. Whats the best way to fix that and have a "normal" FOV? Well the DA 35mm Macro of course! Duh!

crap... cured for all of 3 hours...
04-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What is my biggest issue when visiting my nieces and nephews or just hanging out at friends? The DA40 and DA*55 all do not focus close enough...
I'm in the same boat with you regarding the 40 and 55 and close focus... now you're making the 35 macro sound appealing to me (and it's only been a month since I brought my last lens ).

What did I tell you; there's no end to this madness.

04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even with all the lenses I own I'm still buying up Hexanon,Contax, Leica R, Leica M39 mount, pre-AI nikkor lenses and the odd takumar.
04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So for me, my goals are complete. I think that is a pretty solid line up of lenses that has no glaring holes. I guess I could use a DA*60-250 if a good deal came up though....
Ha Ha Ha I submit to you the following:
04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Two perfect kit combos back, I would heartily agree and welcome you to the club. Sadly that didn't stick, for me but best of luck to you!

04-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

nope, I've decied... the DA*60-250 won't be haunting me anytime soon.

The DA 35mm Limited Macro on the other hand.... that one could be the next big thing for me!

What is my biggest issue when visiting my nieces and nephews or just hanging out at friends? The DA40, FA 31, and DA*55 all do not focus close enough, especially when my niece and I are chilling on the couch trying to take photos of each other. Whats the best way to fix that and have a "normal" FOV? Well the DA 35mm Macro of course! Duh!

crap... cured for all of 3 hours...
or the 15 or 21mm which can give you some really cool perspective in close shots of people.
04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

My LBA is on abeyance right now due to lack of funds. The discretionary spending account was used earlier this month on an FA 43. When that is solved, the FA 31 will be mine.

Then I'll take some time off the LBA. I'm happy with my cameras, and happy with my lenses (minus the FA 31 at least). Eventually I hope to get an FA 77, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
04-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Even with all the lenses I own I'm still buying up Hexanon,Contax, Leica R, Leica M39 mount, pre-AI nikkor lenses and the odd takumar.
Same here. I may not have as many as you have but it's a joy to run through pieces I don't have yet.
04-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Now I feel a sense of completion...
I know that feeling! I have it every time I save up for a lens for a while, and finally aquire it. Seems like the last one I need every time, over and over again.

but I'm also saddened because what do I hunt for now? I feel I got all I need.
Don't be sad. The feeling of completion will pass soon enough.

I had a very decent line up, similar to yours once... Untill I figured: "I'd prefer to have an incomplete line up of super-quality glass, instead of a complete one of decent glass." So then I started selling multiple lenses to fund CZ glass.
04-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #12

Hahaha - A nice collection, but there's always one more that comes along . . . . . . deep down you know that really!
04-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
but I'm also saddened because what do I hunt for now?
You can help me look for this FF Pentax DSLR, that's being discussed here so much.
04-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #14

LBA cured? LOL! My LBA is never cured when I'm with Pentax. For example I haven't touched the limited ground yet (luckily so, otherwise I'll be broke). There are also some rare and expensive older lenses that I may not even find or if I could, those would most likely sell for more I'm willing to pay. So my LBA is always "on". But I enjoy it as there is always something new behind the horizon. Also I don't feel it takes anything away from my photography.

But I'm also happy that you have found your "dream combo". I'm always happy when I see people enjoying their hobbies rather than always complaining and bashing orhers for something. Life can be good also
04-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Last piece ever? No way. But are you done for now? Could be.

After I got my kit together I didn't buy another lens for 18 months. Then I realized there were a few others that would make sense, so I added them.

Since you have the top glass, you won't be worrying about moving up. So just make use of what you have. Each lens has its own unique character and usefulness, so just appreciate each for what it is. None are ever "perfect," but they're all very good, You you may well be at the end of the line. The buying can stop for now if you think you're set.

When you realize later that something's useful or missing you'll add or change it, but it's hardly an addiction at that point. So if your question is serious, then the serious answer is: Yes, LBA may be over for you (or at least drastically toned down).

Last edited by DSims; 04-17-2013 at 02:21 AM.