Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Why doesn't Pentax work with Voiglander and/or Samyang to make lenses?

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering why Pentax doesn't partner with Voigtlander/ Cosina and or Samyang in order to produce some new high IQ lenses? I especially think Voigtlander would be good fit since they already make good quality small (for their focal length ) lenses like Pentax. Voigtlander and Samyang would make the optics and Pentax could put their coatings on the lens, and Pentax would make the auto focus bodies ( hopefully WR ) either with screw drive or DC motor. What do you think?

Last edited by Vantage-Point; 04-18-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: misspelled Voigtlander
04-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mmmh, some WR AF Voigtlanders would be really amazing. We can dream
04-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by V'cuz Quote
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering why Pentax doesn't partner with Voigtlander/ Cosina and or Samyang in order to produce some new high IQ lenses? I especially think Voigtlander would be good fit since they already make good quality small (for their focal length ) lenses like Pentax. Voigtlander and Samyang would make the optics and Pentax could put their coatings on the lens, and Pentax would make the auto focus bodies ( hopefully WR ) either with screw drive or DC motor. What do you think?
Doesn't sound like a good idea from a business standpoint

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather see them partner up with Sigma. Get all their lenses in K mount and still sell other mounts as well. Steady stream of income from Canikon users -- lots of good lenses for K mount. Team up with the R&D to design new lenses as well. Get that Pentax coating on the front. mmm

04-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax was known and admired for decades for their lenses. They need to get back to their roots rather than sell somebody elses relabeled glass.
04-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by V'cuz Quote
Voigtlander would be good fit since they already make good quality small (for their focal length ) lenses like Pentax. Pentax would make the auto focus bodies ( hopefully WR ) either with screw drive or DC motor. What do you think?
Part of the attraction of the Voigtlaender lenses
is their smooth, damped, long-throw manual focus.
That would get lost in an AF lens.