Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ever bought something stupid on ebay?

Have you ever bought anything stupid on ebay because you didn't read the listing well enough or pay attention to the pictures well enough? I'm feeling kind of stupid but at least it wasn't a lot of money. I bought a lot of lenses, all damaged or with fungus or haze. It had a vivitar series 1 70-210mm 3.5 with a stiff zoom (seems jammed to me) and fungus. Going off memory I had thought the ver 2 was the only one that was 3.5. I have a version 2 that was converter from olympus mount (aperture ring opens and closed the iris directly and that is the only control). I was going to swap the mounts to my good one, but turns out it was a ver 1 that also has a 3.5 aperture.

Feeling kind of stupid. I don't think any of the other lenses are worth the trouble to try and fix (there is a pentax A 50mm 2.0 that seems to operate well but its got pretty bad fungus). I think it would be the only A 50mm I have (I have a few good M 50m's), but I also have the 40mm 2.8 xs. The ver one is rated to have less resolution and contrast then the ver 2 I already have so I'm not sure its worth fixing but I might try anyway.

On a side note, does anyone know how the macro works? You draw the one touch zoom all the way back, push a button, and then the zoom focuses instead? Is that how it works? I think that is the part that is jammed.

04-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the first 50s I bought was a Kalimar 1.7. The listing said K mount but the picture was something grabbed from the web. Turns out it was Minolta MD. Good thing I didn't pay very much.

My worst purchases have been from shopgoodwill. A S-M-C Tak with a dented filter ring on a broken Zenit E and an AF280T flash. The flash had corrosion on the battery contacts and the battery door broke as soon as I tried to put batteries into it...I also bought a broken Z-1, the mirror actually fell out, and the 28-105 that came with it had a broken power zoom selection button...
04-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The bad (or good depending on how you look at it), thing was the listing was correct and not misleading at all. This one was 100% my fault. I may try to fix some of them just for the fun of it. It also just dawned on me. I got 5 k mount lenses. I can use some of the mounts for donor mounts for other lenses that I have been wanting to convert so perhaps its not a complete loss (another dohh moment that I didn't think of that earlier). I might try to fix the better ones but I guess who cares if if fails as I can use the mount.

I was all excited to get a fully functioning mount on my good 70-210mm too.
04-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I bought a lot of lenses, all damaged or with fungus or haze
How much did you have to pay for all these crappy lenses?

04-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Ever bought something stupid on ebay?
No, not yet, I seriously try and stay away from that site, because I know I can't be trusted with that Buy it Now button.
04-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought an "as-is/ for parts" Pentax-A 50/1.7 for a few $'s and got hosed on shipping ($20!). Got the lens expecting it to be a "donor" for me to learn how to take apart and re-lube a lens and maybe re-use the lensmount. Ended up being nearly perfect condition! After 4 years, I still can't find any fault with it... I think I got the wrong item from the seller, but I left positive feedback anyhow.
04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
How much did you have to pay for all these crappy lenses?
About $23 shipped so not a big deal on the money part. I really have no use for any of them but I guess $5 ea for donor mounts isn't bad (I have gotten them cheaper).

04-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bid high on two(!) 50/1.4 due to temporally somehow thinking that 1.4 was the1.2, most likely a short circuit in my brain mixing numbers up.
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
No, not yet, I seriously try and stay away from that site, because I know I can't be trusted with that Buy it Now button.
Yea I got the bug for a while and got over 100 old lenses. I haven't got a clue how many I have (could be closer to 200 total including all my AF ones). At one point in time I was just placing very low bids on anything that seemed somewhat of interest. I did wind up with a lot of very nice lenses and of course some junk.
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I bid high on two(!) 50/1.4 due to temporally somehow thinking that 1.4 was the1.2, most likely a short circuit in my brain mixing numbers up.
At least you've never done it with a 1:2...
04-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
At least you've never done it with a 1:2...
That is at least a logical mistake. Explain the 1.4 for 1.2 mix up to me?
04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That is at least a logical mistake. Explain the 1.4 for 1.2 mix up to me?
Irrational exuberance?
04-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought an Opteka 500/8 mirror lens. It was in good condition but results were disappointing for the most part. I don't remember the exact price but it was $40 something. I have had a few good shots from it but mostly it just decorates my shelf.
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bid and won an LX FA1 finder having stumbled on it with 20s to go. I'd bid before reading the comment that it was for parts only and won with a $15 bid - for a prism and both halves of its casing (no diopter adjustment mechanism or screws). Still might come in handy on day though.

On the other hand I also stumbled upon a lens described as 'Takumar 49mm lens', turned out it was an SMC-Tak 50/1.4 with a 49mm filter thread - it's now sitting in my SP bag courtesy of a low winning bid.
04-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought what I thought was an MX, thought I was brilliant for finding the listing ("Pentax camera"), was really excited right up to opening the box. Then I was angry at the seller. Then I figured out who the idiot was, clearly a K1000 in the photo, anyone could see it.

I admit to having two of those Vivitar 70-210/3.5s too. The thing about that Vivitar, it's not cheap to ship. And for a while it was just everywhere, looking like it was only $9.95 but really $23 when you pay. I remember actively ignoring listings for a long time, then I got a broken one, then I had to buy a parts lens to fix it, then the parts lens (MD mount) is impossible to disassemble. Then reality hits - this is a lens that I will never travel with. It has no useful features that I don't have in another lens. It's really heavy. I can't sell it for a profit. I probably can't give it away without paying for shipping myself.