Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Is it true that the Richo Rikenon P 50mm f/2 is one of the sharpest lenses produced in its time?
I found one for sale for less than $40 shipped, it's in amazing shape, I'd say 9/10. Would this be a better option than the Pentax M 50 f/2?

04-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Hi,
What exactly are you looking after? Because the 50/2 lenses do not have macro capabilities at all, unless you either mount them on extension tubes, or reversed. If you are really looking for a macro lens, get the Panagor before someone else gets it, it is very good. If you're just looking for a manual 50mm to have fun with, any other will do.
And regarding the long focus throw: in my opinion, this is a non-issue for portraits and street shots, because most of that long throw is dedicated to focus distances under 1m.
04-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've decided to go with a Panagor for macro work, and just a standard 50mm for portrait and street work. What I am after really in a 50mm is sharpness. From what I have been reading the Rikenon was the sharpest lens of its time, and from reviews on the forum, the Rikenon scores a solid 8.4 and the Pentax scores an 8.0. I'm not really sure which will give better IQ, unless they're about the same, or if the Rikenon is better (I might go with that one because it is cheaper).
04-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I've decided to go with a Panagor for macro work, and just a standard 50mm for portrait and street work. What I am after really in a 50mm is sharpness. From what I have been reading the Rikenon was the sharpest lens of its time, and from reviews on the forum, the Rikenon scores a solid 8.4 and the Pentax scores an 8.0. I'm not really sure which will give better IQ, unless they're about the same, or if the Rikenon is better (I might go with that one because it is cheaper).
The Rikenon doesn't really deserve the reputation that it has...plus the P version has the 'Ricoh' pin.

Look for an Auto Sears MC 50/1.7. There are two versions, one was made by Ricoh and the other by Chinon. The Chinon version is easy to spot because it has a 49mm filter thread and orange numbers.

Another nice thing about the Sears (Chinon) is that is has half-stop clicks which the Ricoh doesn't. I paid $10 for mine after shipping.

Chinon Auto MC 50mm f/1.7 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-21-2013 at 10:00 AM.
04-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Rikenon doesn't really deserve the reputation that it has...plus the P version has the 'Ricoh' pin.

Look for an Auto Sears MC 50/1.7. There are two versions, one was made by Ricoh and the other by Chinon. The Chinon version is easy to spot because it has a 49mm filter thread and orange numbers.

Another nice thing about the Sears (Chinon) is that is has half-stop clicks which the Ricoh doesn't. I paid $10 for mine after shipping.

Chinon Auto MC 50mm f/1.7 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
What makes you say that? Is there any specific reasons why it doesn't deserve the reputation it has?
04-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
50 mm 2.8 macro

I have this lens and highly recommend it. It is probably the sharpest lens I own, and that includes the 43 and 77 limited. You also get a very usable macro feature, a true macro with a very convenient focus lock. I only negative I can think of is that the f stop is 2.8, so you lose a little for low-light photography. That being said, I still find it quite usable for inside photography except in the darkest conditions, and of course there is always fil flash!

Buying a used lens is a crap shoot, and I have generally purchased new except for legacy lens that are only available used. I have had positive experience buying used lens on the Forum, however, as compared to fleabay.

Good luck to you.
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have this lens and highly recommend it. It is probably the sharpest lens I own, and that includes the 43 and 77 limited. You also get a very usable macro feature, a true macro with a very convenient focus lock. I only negative I can think of is that the f stop is 2.8, so you lose a little for low-light photography. That being said, I still find it quite usable for inside photography except in the darkest conditions, and of course there is always fil flash!

Buying a used lens is a crap shoot, and I have generally purchased new except for legacy lens that are only available used. I have had positive experience buying used lens on the Forum, however, as compared to fleabay.

Good luck to you.
Is that with the Sigma50 2.8?