Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Used Pentax lenses in Hong Kong and Taipei?

About to make a trip to Hong Kong and Taipei. Any recommendations on where I can go? Thanks

04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi iht.
I will also make a trip to Hong Kong soon and after some research I found that
Zhao Xiang Guan Camera Workshop
12F Kimberly House
35, Kimberly Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
???
has second hand cameras and lenses. Will go and see if they have any Pentax stuff
Other than that I will also go to Stanley Street which have several small to medium camera shops to see if any of them have second hand items. Or I might just end up buying something new
I know from previous trips that Pentax stuff is not that easy to find in Hong Kong but I will try once again to hunt down some stores.
Also check out Sells cameras, lenses and related photographic accessories - Tin Cheung Camera Company they have several stores in Hong Kong one of them is at Stanley Street.

My last trip to Taipei was to short, only two days, so I didn't have time to explore the "camera street" Camera Street In Taipei | Flickr - Photo Sharing! just went in to one or two stores... But I saw several stores that I wanted to explore

Lets see if any Hong Kong or Taipei residents can help us out as well
04-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
About to make a trip to Hong Kong and Taipei. Any recommendations on where I can go? Thanks
Hi, I was there two weeks ago looking for used pentax lenses and leica r lenses. It was a disappointing experience. Lenses are more expensive than in US and in some cases Australia. Anything with Leica on it starts with a sky high price. Leica R summicron 50 was $900 at Tin Cheung's store in tsimshatsui. 31 limited was $1200. K5iis is $1250. The store is worth a visit, they have an awesome collection of lenses.

I was after 15 limited and it was $750 aud, new. couldnt find a used one.The accessories are cheap.

Enjoy your vacation.
04-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your experiences Very useful info. Thank you!!

Yeah, any locals in those cities like to chime in as well?

04-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Btw, when are you going to HK and Taipei?
I will go to HK end of April and beginning of May.
Will report back my findings after that.
04-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll be in HK at the end of May, so look forward to your report
06-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #7

I live in Hong Kong, NEVER EVER buy form the shops in TST with the flashing "tax free" lights. All shopping is tax free, these are "black shops" a little like bait and switch, you go in looking for something and levae with something else or broken camera.

The second hand shops in Champagne Arcade on Kimberly Road are good, one of the shops has a perfect rep, there is much written about the owner elsewhere in the net.

Cameras and lenses seem expensive here, compared to the UK or USA prices.

Some companies like Tin Cheung chareg extra % for credit card ttransactions. I have bought form them many times in their K11 mall shop. Sometimes they are very relectant to let you touch the gear.

Hong Kong is very much a place where yu ask about something, and they assume you want it and are ready to buy even without touching.

Have fun