Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
No kidding! Not to mention lenses like the 100-300mm F4 being readily available used for half the cost of the pentax version
That's a $500 lens all day long in Nikon mount, bought mine for that. And speaking of TC's, I picked a practically brand new sigma 1.4 DG for $120 which matches up with my Sigma 300 2.8 and Sigma 100~300 f/4.

04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
The new Tamron 24-70 is an entirely different lens.
Yes it is, but I suppose my point is we have a similar answer to that lens in the 28-75.

I generally stay away from third party lenses. It's not that I hate them, it's just that in my experience with Tamron in particular, they engineer the lenses to test well in benchmarks but otherwise they aren't that great. The 28-75 and 17-50 I feel are good examples; they may be sharp but they're lacking in contrast, color rendition, and zoom ring friction (they do not zoom smoothly).

But if you need or want a sharp 2.8 constant zoom, the Tamrons give it to you...for $500. Hard to beat from that perspective.

Last edited by brofkand; 04-19-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
04-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The 28-75 and 17-50 I feel are good examples; they may be sharp but they're lacking in contrast, color rendition, and zoom ring friction (they do not zoom smoothly).
This has not been my experience with either lens, or the Tamron 70-200 which I also have. All of these lenses zoom beautifully smooth with no creep and are excellent in microcontrast and colours, even wide open (caveat is the 70-200, which at 200mm and f/2.8 is slightly soft and has significant haloing of OOF objects in its bokeh). They are optically sound lenses (when you get a good copy) and are everything Pentax have made in their DA* lenses in terms of IQ IMHO, but none of the Tamron lenses are WR and all are prone to sucking in specks of dust into their internal structures. That to me is their weak point. I couldn't even fault their build otherwise as they are great designs of plastic and glass for the price, and all of my lenses have stood the test of time and rigor.
04-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
they may be sharp but they're lacking in contrast, color rendition, and zoom ring friction
[pentax specific] and good fast silent focusing, no quick shift option, and sub-par coatings. There is no way that I would settle without these options when for a little more money I can get these options in other lenses.

04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
good fast silent focusing, no quick shift option, and sub-par coatings
Indeed these are also points of disadvantage, including the sloppy means for manual focusing on the 70-200 on Pentax dSLRs, but they do perform well.
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I worry about it too, because it's a downward spiral:

1. Pentax market decreases-->
2. 3rd party lens manufacturers become less interested.-->
3. Less potential Pentax customers think of Pentax as a valid option due to less lens options available and uncertain Pentax future. And less Pentax presence in general. Having the name "Pentax" in the available lens mount options next to the lens is of high value.-->
4. As a result, go to 1.

Escaping from such a spiral seems very difficult. Especially taking into consideration that this spiral is also strengthened by the other weak points of the Pentax system and their strong points appearing in the competing brands as well.
That's just an excellent summary and an accurate one at that. Years of brand neglect and pathetic product distribution have contributed mightily to these ends. The Ricoh regime hasn't done much to spur my confidence either, as their energy seems to be focused on either little stuff (watches, failed mirrorless cameras) or a bizarre vanity product like the 560mm tele. The newer Sigma releases that are not in K-mount are the ones most sorely needed as they don't compete directly with Pentax-branded lenses. A real shame. I wouldn't assume that K-mount versions will be available. It seems like market perceptions are that Pentax owners are too cheap to spend serious money (unlike enough Canon and Nikon owners).

M
04-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The ironic thing about 3rd party availability is that the Nikon and Canon owners stare down their noses at sigma and tamron wayyyyyy more than the lower market share brand owners
I found that phenomena highly entertaining when I added a Canon 7D three years ago. I was able to secure the Tokina equivalents to the DA 12-24mm, the DA* 50-135mm, and the DA Ltd 35mm macro for at least half what the Pentax used market prices were and still are. And I must admit the Tokina versions are better built (I owned or still own the Pentax versions) with the 12-24mm being optically superior around the edges.

he sheer volume of lenses available that I can use with my d600
Agreed. I can put more diverse lenses on my 7D than on my Pentax. Using M42 lenses is a lot more convenient as the mount stays on the lens.

M