Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Junior Member
allpowerfultim's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27
Sigma Lense questions: 60-200mm F 1:4~5.6 & 28-70mm F 1:3.5~4.5

Greetings!

When my grandmother passed away she left me her K-1000. I have always had a soft spot for Pentax. I did a lot of research and decided on purchasing the K-30 with weather resistant lenses 18-52mm & 50-200mm. I'm new to the DSLR world and recently bought a bunch of older lenses. I cannot really find much information on one of the lenses in particular and I thought who better to ask but Pentax enthusiasts!

Does anyone own or have used a Sigma 60-200mm F 1:4~5.6? I cannot find any information on it anywhere. I also picked up a Sigma 28-70mm F 1:3.5~4.5. I'm curious of your thoughts toward these lenses. They both have Macro written on them. They are old and both are in good condition.

I appreciate any feedback or insight!

Thanks!

04-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,729
I can't find much on the 60-200 in Pentax mount either. It does seem to have been issued in Minolta mount and there is some info out there on that. I also came across one post that implies it MIGHT have the Ricoh pin which makes lenses get stuck on Pentax cameras. That is not verified, but do be cautious.

This might be your 28-70 Sigma UC 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database but over time Sigma made a lot of different 28-70's so maybe not.

"Macro" on older zoom lenses really means "close focusing" not true Macro. It was mostly a marketing gimmick. It can be useful for flowers pictures and such but it is no where near what a real macro range will be. These are usually 1:5 or even 1:7 ratios. Macro is usually defined as at least 1:2 and better at 1:1
04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Junior Member
allpowerfultim's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Thanks a lot. I am so new to all of this and the terminology. I read that review, but there are many as you've mentioned and I am unsure which one I have. I noticed that as well on the Web it talked about Minolta. I am not sure. I bought it from a lady who had it on a Pentax P3. It's well used that's sure. Now I'm a bit sketched out to try it on my K-30 when it arrives.

Cheers!

Tim

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I can't find much on the 60-200 in Pentax mount either. It does seem to have been issued in Minolta mount and there is some info out there on that. I also came across one post that implies it MIGHT have the Ricoh pin which makes lenses get stuck on Pentax cameras. That is not verified, but do be cautious.

This might be your 28-70 Sigma UC 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database but over time Sigma made a lot of different 28-70's so maybe not.

"Macro" on older zoom lenses really means "close focusing" not true Macro. It was mostly a marketing gimmick. It can be useful for flowers pictures and such but it is no where near what a real macro range will be. These are usually 1:5 or even 1:7 ratios. Macro is usually defined as at least 1:2 and better at 1:1
04-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,729
QuoteOriginally posted by allpowerfultim Quote
Now I'm a bit sketched out to try it on my K-30 when it arrives.
When it arrives take a clear picture of the lens mount and post it here. We can tell you if it has the pin or not. If it does you can remove the pin, easy on some lenses harder on others. It is not a huge problem and won't cause damage but it is something to watch for.

04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Junior Member
allpowerfultim's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27
Original Poster
I'm still curious if this lens (Sigma 60-200mm F 1:4~5.6?) is a good quality lens? I don't know a lot about lenses, but I am learning as I go along. Is there anyone else out there that can help?
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,729
Has it arrived yet? I doubt you are going to find anyone with it since it seems to be rather rare. Take some shots with it and do a review and post it in the Sigma lens review section. Consider yourself a pioneer...
04-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Junior Member
allpowerfultim's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When it arrives take a clear picture of the lens mount and post it here. We can tell you if it has the pin or not. If it does you can remove the pin, easy on some lenses harder on others. It is not a huge problem and won't cause damage but it is something to watch for.
Hi jatrax!

Thanks for helping so much with this. I took a couple photos of the lens for you to check out! I randomly picked it up on Kijiji from a lady selling some older equipment. When I get my camera I will take some test photographs for sure!

You Rock!

Tim

Last edited by allpowerfultim; 09-24-2014 at 08:08 AM.
04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,729
Well, I still cannot find anything on it. But I do love a mystery. No evidence on the internet that such a lens even exists. It does look like k-mount though so it should be OK. Also looks like it has 'A' contacts which is even better if true.

Does it say anything like: "K/A" "K/A-R" "P-KA" "PK" on it anywhere? Your shots are good but I think missing that part of the lens, should be near to the rear mount usually on the side. Show a picture of the aperture ring markings.

04-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Junior Member
allpowerfultim's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It does look like k-mount though so it should be OK. Also looks like it has 'A' contacts which is even better if true.
Does it say anything like: "K/A" "K/A-R" "P-KA" "PK" on it anywhere? Your shots are good but I think missing that part of the lens, should be near to the rear mount usually on the side. Show a picture of the aperture ring markings.
Hi jatrax!

It fits perfectly on my K-1000 with no trouble. The writing is pretty much whiped off from all the use this lens had previously received. There is something written beside MACRO, but it is not legible, unfortunately. I don't see anything written near the aperture ring. *sighs.

Maybe I could contact Sigma and ask them about the lens? That could be interesting? Thanks for helping me along with uncovering this mystery! It's certainly is intriguing now!

You rock!

Tim

Last edited by allpowerfultim; 09-24-2014 at 08:08 AM.
05-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Junior Member
allpowerfultim's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27
Original Poster
I finally got the answers. I contacted the Sigma rep here in Canada and he was not familiar with it. He in-turn contacted Sigma in Japan and this is what he found out about the lens itself:

The product name is: Zoom Beta II 60-200mm F4-5.6.
We started producing it in 1986, and it was discontinued in 1987.
There were both MF version and AF version, and AF one was only designed for Minolta mount.

Followings are the specifications of the lens;

Lens Construction: 12 elements in 9 groups
Angle of View: 40-12 degrees
Minimum Aperture: 22-32
Minimum Focusing Distance: 150cm
Maximum Magnification: 1:6.5
Filter Size: 52mm
Dimensions: Diameter 72mm x Length 84.5mm (AF version), 65mm x 83.5mm (MF version)
Weight: 490g (AF version), 415 (MF version)

05-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,729
So essentially, a very rare bird. Thanks for posting back.

Please post a few pictures taken with the lens when you get a chance. And please consider doing a brief lens review in the third part lens section so that the story and details get recorded for the future. Here: Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
12-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Hi, just wondering if you could share how you found this lens to use?

I've just found what looks like another version of it for sale in NZ with an M42 mount...

Sigma 60-200mm f4-5.6 Zoom Lens | Trade Me

almost tempted just for the rarity of the thing!

Cheers
01-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
I just bought one!

Hi,
I registered with this forum just to say that I picked up one of these Sigma 60-200 f4-5.6 lenses yesterday here in Japan at my local recycle shop. I got it for $8. It has a pentax mount and I will use it with an adaptor on my Panasonic GH4.





(It looks dusty, but it's actually clear through the glass)

I haven't taken any pics yet - just a couple test shots. I'll try and get out and take some photos soon.
01-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,729
Zombie thread alert...............................
04-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 13
Hey..did you manage to get this up and running on your gh4? how was it? any images...thanks in advance

QuoteOriginally posted by philsmy Quote
Hi,
I registered with this forum just to say that I picked up one of these Sigma 60-200 f4-5.6 lenses yesterday here in Japan at my local recycle shop. I got it for $8. It has a pentax mount and I will use it with an adaptor on my Panasonic GH4.





(It looks dusty, but it's actually clear through the glass)

I haven't taken any pics yet - just a couple test shots. I'll try and get out and take some photos soon.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28-70mm, information, k-mount, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, sigma lense, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax P30T, MZ-7, 28-75 3.5-4.5, FA 28-80 3.5-5.6, F 70-210 4-5.6 brofkand Sold Items 2 07-11-2012 07:12 PM
For Sale - Sold: MZ-30, FA 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL, F 28-80mm 1:3.5-4.5, Ricoh XR 35-70 1:3.5 (Wor Nick Siebers Sold Items 8 11-20-2010 08:53 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4, Da 50-200mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro nuaabill Sold Items 10 03-09-2010 02:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top