Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Disappointed by Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Hello all,

I would like to share my experience with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and possibly getting some feedback from other owners to understand if they are experiencing the same.

Premise
I was a happy owner of a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8: pretty decent building quality, sharp wide open, good color rendition. Happy customer.
But I wanted something slightly wider, so I sold the 28-75mm to get the 17-50mm. Very reasonable price and good specs. If it would have been similar to the 28-75mm I would have been a very happy customer!

Observations and problem with my lens
- Sharpness is almost as the 28-75mm. Satisfied!
- The building quality is very "plasticy". Worse than the 28-75mm. I can live with that...
- It suffers heavily of front focus. The AF adjustment of the K30 even if it is set to the extreme, it does not counter balance enough the FF. I will probably send it in to have it calibrated. Annoying but at least it should be fixable...
- Color rendition is way worse than the 28-75mm. It shows heavy blueish cast. Whenever I am outdoor and I am in AWB, this lens always shows a blueish cast. This is what disappoint me the most as I don't think it can be "fixable" Disappointed!

Do you guys experience the same?

04-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Like in real estate, where it's location, location, location, with some third party offerings it's sample variation, sample variation, sample variation.

I've owned both,,, a few copies of both, matter of fact. Some were spot on, sharp wide open, etc etc, ...a few weren't. The Tammy 17-50, given a good copy, is agreed to be a great value lens in the fixed 2.8 zoom world. Just gotta get a good copy.

DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - The Bottom Line - PentaxForums.com

Re: the build quality of the 28-75 and 17-50, I found them to be rather similar in nature- definitely not Pentaxian confidence inspiring pieces of glass, but shouldn't be an issue if handled with a modicum of care...
04-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've owned both in k-Mount. Your experience is somewhat common. Focusing is an issue for the 16-50mm, but I had read that newer versions are better. My K-mount copy only needed minor adjustment. My current EOS version is excellent.
Yes color is off some to a slightly annoying degree, but I always tweak color with software anyway so it is not a biggie.
I've never minded the plebeian build quality as the price is very fair, the lens is fast, and I only use it for nuts & bolts event coverage which is not an artistic context.

M
04-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also suggest a replacement. Some things aren't good to have to live with, and the problematic colour casting with FF should be enough to request replacement.

04-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tammy 17-50 is my std walkabout lens. I found my copy needed +50um on my K-x and was then very sharp. Haven't noticed any particular tendency to blues on my copy. I have found the zoom ring to get smoother with use. I do shoot RAW these days to allow AWB and tints to be easily corrected.
04-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
The Tammy 17-50 is my std walkabout lens. I found my copy needed +50um on my K-x and was then very sharp. Haven't noticed any particular tendency to blues on my copy. I have found the zoom ring to get smoother with use. I do shoot RAW these days to allow AWB and tints to be easily corrected.
Being colorblind, I would be more than happy to stay away from WB corrections ;-)

As the lens was delivered in Feb I don't think I can replace it, but I'll ask...
04-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a 17-50 that requires the maximum -10 adjustment on the K5, but seems to focus accurately on the (non-adjustable) k200. I don't have another body to try it on. It is annoying that the k5 doesn't have a wider built-in (outside of debug mode) adjustment capability.

Paul