Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #1

Need Help w/ Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8/ 200mm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could provide some help for me? I have an older manual lens that I have hardly ever used and I was wondering if it was worth anything. I bought it brand new while in East Berlin as a teenager while traveling in the early 80's. I never learned how to use my manual camera like I wanted so unfortunately it has remained in its case in the closet for about 25 years. It is:

Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 5838 Sonnar auto 2.8/200 MC

I tried researching to see if I could find some for sale to price point but haven't had any luck. Considering selling to purchase a new digital camera.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

04-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

Original Poster
Also, if it is a decent lens, could I use it with a Nikon D5100? I'm thinking of just selling it though...thanks for all the help!
04-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There was one going locally for 200€, but IDK if that's anything to go by. Just google the name, and in photography and review threads you can be 99% sure you'll find some mention of a price.

If yours sat unused, it might be a double-edged sword: No wear and tear, but possible problems like fungus, dust... You should check your lens for those.

PS you can't use it with Nikon cameras, unless you want a macro lens. The optical adapters are rubbish.
04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
There was one going locally for 200€, but IDK if that's anything to go by. Just google the name, and in photography and review threads you can be 99% sure you'll find some mention of a price.

If yours sat unused, it might be a double-edged sword: No wear and tear, but possible problems like fungus, dust... You should check your lens for those.

PS you can't use it with Nikon cameras, unless you want a macro lens. The optical adapters are rubbish.
Thanks for the help, I didn't notice any fungus, but there is dust on the outside of the lens, sounds like a stupid question but is that a concern? Lens caps were kept on the lens at all times and in a closet?

04-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust outside is not problem. Dust with a micro fibre cloth and all will be well.
04-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Dust outside is not problem. Dust with a micro fibre cloth and all will be well.
Thanks, that is what I thought but didn't want to assume anything...Hopefully I can try and find a buyer. From what I have seen or heard so far, nobody is interested in "Screw Mounts"...thanks for the response!
04-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ntdmoma Quote
Thanks, that is what I thought but didn't want to assume anything...Hopefully I can try and find a buyer. From what I have seen or heard so far, nobody is interested in "Screw Mounts"...thanks for the response!
Pentaxians (and Canon users) use screw mount lenses, but zooms from that era are usually pretty bad. Have a look at the user review section of the forum and see if there are any reviews of this particular lens.

04-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It looks like a quite capable lens also on digital: official Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/200mm thread - FM Forums
It also seems to be quite sought after: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/116819-sale-sold-carl-zeiss-je...worldwide.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/120478-sale-sold-carl-zeiss-je...worldwide.html

I guess you're a Nikon shooter? Bad luck as this lens sadly doesn't work as intended on a Nikon camera. Maybe use a glass-less adapter and M42 extension tubes and use the lens as a macro.
04-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Dust on the outside isn't a problem.

Also, I estimate at least 50% of current non-Japanese Pentax users to have at least one M42 lens, and they go pretty well onto Canon cameras, and mirrorless camera users use them as well.
04-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
Great info everyone, really appreciate all of the help....Looks like ill be selling the lens on ebay!
04-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I bet you could easily sell it here too, this place is crowded with M42 shooters.
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I bet you could easily sell it here too, this place is crowded with M42 shooters.
This. And it will have a guaranteed good home.
04-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Original Poster
Is there anything special I need to do to sell it on this site? I would be willing to sell the camera body and my other lens with it as well. I have a Praktica MTL5 B camera with a Pentacon auto 1.8/50 Muli-Coating lens.

Last edited by ntdmoma; 04-24-2013 at 12:17 PM.
04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ntdmoma Quote
Is there anything special I need to do to sell it on this site? I would be willing to sell the camera body and my other lens with it as well. I have a Praktica MTL5 B camera with a Pentacon auto 1.8/50 Muli-Coating lens.
Make a donation to the site and Adam will enable access to the marketplace.

Also a small reminder...marketing gear outside the marketplace is considered to be bad form and is also against the forum rules.

In regards to your lens...vintage Carl Zeiss Jena lenses are well-regarded. You should have no trouble selling yours. The Praktica and Pentacon not so much so.

Steve