Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well, actually they are two competing cameras and not that different at all. Hey, give the prize to which ever lens you feel is better suited to your needs, but every test does show that the Sigma OS FLD does in fact resolve higher and out performs in nearly all other categories, even the comparative test here on the forums using the same exact camera shows the same.

And the conclusion is (from the first links) "the tamron against the older sigmas" and NOT the new FLD OS which resolves 15-20% higher than the older sigmas.
The thing is that they use completely different sensors, though both bayer ones, and the tests explicitly says that you cannot compare direct numbers due to different specs when it comes to filters etc.

04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Does Sigma have a newer 70-200/2.8 than was included in the comparison testing? When I bought my Tamron it won for sharpness while folks said the Sigma was somewhat faster in AF.

Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - The Verdict - PentaxForums.com

Conclusion It's clear that there are many alternatives to genuine Pentax lenses out there, and that you should not be afraid of looking into them as long as you do your research beforehand. With that said, if you're a true Pentaxian, you will either get the FA* 80-200mm, or die trying! Jokes aside, we've just looked at some very high-quality sports telephoto lenses, all of which we can highly recommend.
If you are not on a tight budget, the Sigma is a better choice over the Tamron as has superior handling. It's easier to hold and focus with manually, and has a fast and quiet autofocus system. While it's a bit heavier, this is hardly a burden outside of the bag. The only shame is that the OS system is redundant on Pentax DSLRs. The Tamron is great because of its low price, impressive image quality, and macro capabilities. While we didn't including the older Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM in this article, you may also be interested in reading its user reviews if you're on a budget. Its image quality doesn't match that of these lenses, but only costs about $799 and has better handling than the Tamron.
I am not entirely on a budget here, but if at all possible I would like to keep the cost as minimal as possible, if money was of no object, well then I'd just buy one of every lens from every makes (even though that is incredibly redundant)
Not gonna lie, I am very tempted to for the Sigma 70-200, but if I am spending that much money, I may as well just get the Pentax 60-250. I need something that is going to be sharp around its lowest zoom, because the DA* 300 will be used for anything I might used 150 or 200mm on. I'll just have to stand back a bit more. I am not exactly planning on getting any lenses for at least 6 months, or when ever I get my K-5 paid off, and who knows, maybe at that point there will be a new line of lenses available (though doubtful). These are just a couple of lenses I am looking at, I'd like something that would get me from around 50 or 80mm up to as close to 300 as possible, while not being ungodly expensive, while maintaining great build and image quality, sharpness, and is fast. A slow AF I can deal with, I am use to it, as my 28-300 isn't the fasted, but I'd prefer something with the focus motor built into the lens, quite frankly the whole screw drive really irritates me anymore.
04-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the double post. But if I can get some money together, there are surprisingly a lot of Pentax FA* 80-200 out there...
Pentax SMC FA Star Zoom 80 200mm 2 8 F2 8 DSLR SLR Telephoto Long Zoom Lens | eBay for example. And right in between the price of the Tamron and the Sigma.
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does Sigma have a newer 70-200/2.8 than was included in the comparison testing? When I bought my Tamron it won for sharpness
I didn't even see where you posted this. No, the one in the test is the new OS FLD version - but how did you conclude it was sharper when on the test on here they both pinged out at 10 on sharpness and all other tests show the sigma sharper? Maybe you were comparing with the other versions?

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The thing is that they use completely different sensors, though both bayer ones, and the tests explicitly says that you cannot compare direct numbers due to different specs when it comes to filters etc.
Yes, but lens resolving power is the lens itself, hence the near identical percentage difference from multiple different image sensors comparing with the 2 lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Not gonna lie, I am very tempted to for the Sigma 70-200, but if I am spending that much money, I may as well just get the Pentax 60-250
Well, absolutely, if it fits the bill for what you are shooting then by all means - there is actually nothing worse then spending a ton of money (really any money for that matter) on a lens that does not fit well for your usage.

04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sorry for the double post. But if I can get some money together, there are surprisingly a lot of Pentax FA* 80-200 out there...
Pentax SMC FA Star Zoom 80 200mm 2 8 F2 8 DSLR SLR Telephoto Long Zoom Lens | eBay for example. And right in between the price of the Tamron and the Sigma.
Check it out here: Pentax SMC-FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 [IF] ED - Review / Lab Test Report
It looks like it trades macro capability and wide end performance for better results at ~200mm. Usability wise it is like the Tamron with screw drive focusing and a MF/AF clutch instead of real quick-shift. Also it is slightly heavier than the Sigma and a lot heavier than the Tamron. Though, on the other hand they seem to be extremely robust as they've lasted through the years and they will probably keep their value and maybe even increase. I bet build quality feels great!
04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Yes, but lens resolving power is the lens itself, hence the near identical percentage difference from multiple different image sensors comparing with the 2 lenses.
Photozone says differently:
QuoteQuote:
Q: Are the figures comparable between cameras or different systems ?

It depends on the similarities between the image sensor system. A sensor SYSTEM contains the image sensor with or without micro-lenses, an IR filter, a low-pass (Moire) filter and the signal processing. As you can imagine the output quality is largely dependent on the whole chain on not just on the amount of megapixels. The different output quality between the Canon EOS 350D and the Olympus E-300 is a good example (despite a 8MP sensor). The tests are a good guidance for the lens quality as long as you compare the results WITHIN a test group (e.g. Canon).
Here're a few tendencies:
the Pentax results are a bit steeper (sharper and softer results are more pronounced). The tangentially resolution is a bit favored due to the extremely weak vertical AA filter.
the Canon results tend to be a bit better at the extreme borders due to the smaller sensor
the Olympus results are comparatively weak due to the aggressive AA filter on the E-300
Q: Why are the quality ratings different from system to system ?

As mentioned above the lens quality is affected by the sensor "system". Every additional step in the pipeline decreases the output quality, specifically the low-pass filter in front of the sensor. Assuming you mount the same lens on different system its maximum resolution will vary according to the max. quality of the sensor system. There're also evolutions regarding the RAW converter quality so more recent system tests starts can benefit from this - e.g. Canon/Olympus RAWs are/were converted using ACR 3.2 whereas Pentax/Sony RAWs are/were converted via ACR 3.7 and there was an increase in converter quality with ACR 3.4). This must all be taken into account regarding the rating system.
QuoteQuote:
Please note that the tests results are not comparable across the different test systems! This also applies to the 10mp (K10D) vs 16mp (K5) tests here because of the different AA filter characteristic between the cameras!
04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Check it out here: Pentax SMC-FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 [IF] ED - Review / Lab Test Report
It looks like it trades macro capability and wide end performance for better results at ~200mm. Usability wise it is like the Tamron with screw drive focusing and a MF/AF clutch instead of real quick-shift. Also it is slightly heavier than the Sigma and a lot heavier than the Tamron. Though, on the other hand they seem to be extremely robust as they've lasted through the years and they will probably keep their value and maybe even increase. I bet build quality feels great!
And that is a problem, I need something that would be sharp at a lower focal length rather than at the high end of it..
04-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Both the Tamron and the Sigma (probably the older models too) are fine then. That 60-250 you talked about is on my wish list too for the performance despite the wide range!

04-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may try and search for an older Sigma in that case.
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Here you can see some of my shots with the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM Macro II: Flickr: Search A.Sundell's photostream
There are many sports shots and most of them quite old as I haven't uploaded that many sports shots to my flickr lately. Just browse through them if you want to see something else.
04-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I may try and search for an older Sigma in that case.
Why? The older Sigma does not perform optically as well as either the new Sigma or the Tamron and does not come with a warranty. The new Tamron performs better, runs about the same as a used older Sigma, and comes with a 6 year warranty. There is one review in the review section that says they got it for $275, but that is a aberration. Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photozone says differently:
Sorry, Photozone does not say that exactly, they are referring to "Lens Quality" (ca's and contrast which can be controlled (ca's) or boosted (contrast) to an extent through coatings, lens quality):

The tests are a good guidance for the lens quality as long as you compare the results WITHIN a test group (e.g. Canon).
Lens quality is totally different than lens resolving power, an AA filter do not affect lens resolving power, AA filters provide pixel level anti-aliasing for image sensors and does not affect LW/PH which these tests are based on [the resolution test anyways] - a lens is still gonna resolve at a given LW/PH with or without an AA filter as these filters can not discard resolution (or lines) from an image projected through a lens. AA filters affect overall image quality by blurring details within the image, and when using bodies with stronger AA filters they can destroy extremely fine details to where they can't be re-contrasted or brought back in post. But again, this has nothing to do with lens resolving power.

Why? The older Sigma does not perform optically as well as either the new Sigma or the Tamron and does not come with a warranty. The new Tamron performs better, runs about the same as a used older Sigma, and comes with a 6 year warranty.
Ditto
04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another thing I am curious about, would $300-500 be worth it for a tilt shift lense for doing landscape photography?