Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenses!

Okay, so. To go along with my new K-5 I purchased a little more than a month ago, I think it is time to seriously upgrade my lenses, what have right now are
Sigma 21-35 f/3.5-4.2
Pentax DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
Ricoh Rikenon P 50 f/1.7
Pentax Takumar F 70-210 f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 28-300 f/3.5-5.6

Now, these lenses do me just fine...ish. I do a wide array of photography from nature, (soon to be macro as well), soon to do portrait work (when my Rikenon comes in), airshows/sports, and show choir events.

The lenses I am thinking about using will include
Sigma 21-35 f/3.5
Pentax DA 18-55 f/3.5
Ricoh Rikenon P 50 f/1.7
Panagor 90mm f/2.8 macro
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
And lastly the Pentax DA* 300 f/4

What I am curious to know, will these (older lenses mainly the Sigma and Pentax 18-55) be adaquit compated to the Pentax DA* line? Also, Sigma offers a 70-200 f/2.8 also. However they want nearly twice as much as the Tamron 70-200. Would the extra money seriously be worth it for the Sigma?

Also, with the Pentax DA* 300 would I want a tele converter for this for shooting airshows? If yes, which teleconverter would be the best?
Thanks!

04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my experience at airshows, the 300mm should be long enough for most of your work.
04-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then that saves a lot of money there! I've had good luck with my 28-300, however, I notice I lose a lot of light with it, unless it is very bright/sunny. A TC would not help that any, unless the DA* 300 is better/brigher, a fixed/prime lens typically has better IQ than a zoom?
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Then that saves a lot of money there! I've had good luck with my 28-300, however, I notice I lose a lot of light with it, unless it is very bright/sunny. A TC would not help that any, unless the DA* 300 is better/brigher, a fixed/prime lens typically has better IQ than a zoom?
The DA*300 will have significantly better IQ than your current zoom. Also, there just aren't any good teleconverters currently in production for SDM lenses. There are some that are used that come up occasionally but they usually are quite dear pricewise.

04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, Sigma offers a 70-200 f/2.8 also. However they want nearly twice as much as the Tamron 70-200. Would the extra money seriously be worth it for the Sigma?
Absolutely - that extra money gets you blazing fast silent HSM autofocusing, focusing quickshift, and better quality optics with advanced coatings that are sharper with more resolving power (that is if you are referring to the 70~200 OS FLD).
04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Absolutely - that extra money gets you blazing fast silent HSM autofocusing, focusing quickshift, and better quality optics with advanced coatings that are sharper with more resolving power (that is if you are referring to the 70~200 OS FLD).
Does Sigma have a newer 70-200/2.8 than was included in the comparison testing? When I bought my Tamron it won for sharpness while folks said the Sigma was somewhat faster in AF.

Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - The Verdict - PentaxForums.com

Conclusion It's clear that there are many alternatives to genuine Pentax lenses out there, and that you should not be afraid of looking into them as long as you do your research beforehand. With that said, if you're a true Pentaxian, you will either get the FA* 80-200mm, or die trying! Jokes aside, we've just looked at some very high-quality sports telephoto lenses, all of which we can highly recommend.
If you are not on a tight budget, the Sigma is a better choice over the Tamron as has superior handling. It's easier to hold and focus with manually, and has a fast and quiet autofocus system. While it's a bit heavier, this is hardly a burden outside of the bag. The only shame is that the OS system is redundant on Pentax DSLRs. The Tamron is great because of its low price, impressive image quality, and macro capabilities. While we didn't including the older Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM in this article, you may also be interested in reading its user reviews if you're on a budget. Its image quality doesn't match that of these lenses, but only costs about $799 and has better handling than the Tamron.
04-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Pretty much every test I've read states that the Tamron has slightly better optical qualities but loses out when it comes to other bells and whistles and build. With that being said I'm really happy with my Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II and its focusing action.
04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

(oops, the OP was considering the Tamron 70-200, and what I wrote below references the significantly more expensive Sigma 70-200)

This is all with respect to airshows:

What's good for one person might not be so good for another and it can vary depending on how the airshow is setup. I don't think fast lenses don't help that much. You still need a slow enough shutter to show blurred propellers (slower than 1/250 on prop planes) and rotors (slower than 1/125 for helis). A too-fast shutter makes it look like the aircraft has stalled. On jets you can go as fast as you want. Panning is an essential skill to learn for airshows.

Try the 28-300 again at your next airshow. Use TAv mode. Try f/8 for sharpness and depth of field, shutter based on the type of plane, let TAv pick ISO as needed; noise is the least of your problems with the K5. Shake reduction off so you can pan. Peek at photos during a break in the action and maybe change to f5.6; keep the same shutter speeds but the wider aperture will let TAv pick lower ISOs. You'll have to decide later whether extra sharpness at f8 (vs 5.6; I'm assuming the 28-300s sweet spot is f8) offsets the extra stop of ISO noise.

The DA* 300/4 or Sigma 70-200/2.8 might give better photos than the 28-300 because they are sharper lenses, not because of their wider aperture. The DA* 300 gives more reach and excellent sharpness. The current model Sigma 70-200 has 2-mode OS that can be used while panning. Which one is better for airshows might be debatable. Does the extra stability from the panning OS give post-crop results that rival the DA*300 without cropping?

Your choice of next lens might boil down to which lens will see the most use for other purposes. The DA*300 is a "better" lens but less versatile. For indoor sports and choir shows, you'll probably do well with the 70-200, and if it's not good for airshows then you'll need to get the DA* 300 too. This is how LBA begins...

04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Pretty much every test I've read

Tamron: Tamron SP AF 70-200 mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
Sigma OS FLD: Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

The only two [70-200's] that have an edge over the Sigma FLD is the Sony 70~200 SSM and the Nikon 70~200 ED VR. As for total optical qualities, it isn't even close, it's tough shooting the tamron anywhere under f/5 to get pf'free images under high-contrast situations. Yes, of course this can be "hidden" in post, but the blown details that is caused by it is still there...
04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

On the other hand other sites like Photozone reports the Tamron as being better at handling CA and much better borders at 200mm. I find Lenstip a bit weird when it comes to lens testing at times, they often get really low results with Pentax lenses for some reason.
The FF tests to exaggerate things:
Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di LD [IF] macro - Full Format Review / Lab Test - Sample Images & Verdict
Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX OS HSM (FX) - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict

But as I said either one is good choices in my eyes.

Some good things about the DA* 300/4 is really good performance when it comes to chromatic aberrations, purple fringing and the very even resolution across the whole frame. Pentax SMC DA* 300mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report - Analysis
04-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Tamron: Tamron SP AF 70-200 mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
Sigma OS FLD: Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

The only two [70-200's] that have an edge over the Sigma FLD is the Sony 70~200 SSM and the Nikon 70~200 ED VR. As for total optical qualities, it isn't even close, it's tough shooting the tamron anywhere under f/5 to get pf'free images under high-contrast situations. Yes, of course this can be "hidden" in post, but the blown details that is caused by it is still there...
The problem with those reviews is that the Tamron is on a an APS-C sensor (Canon 20D) and the Sigma is on a FF sensor (EOS-1Ds Mark III) of two very different cameras. The PF review on the other hand was done on our equipment and provides a good basis for comparison.

And it's odd, but when I read the Tamron review I get this message:

"Looking at the chart above we see clearly that the Tamron shows its more expensive competitors their place in the row. The maximum aperture is sharp at all focal lengths and even at 200 mm it reaches the level of 35 lpmm. On stopping down slightly, the results become even better – they cross the 40 lpmm level. The even results, presented by the lens, deserve our praise – the 200 mm focal length doesn’t stand out from the shorter range behaviour.

What’s more, from all the 70-200 mm f/2.8 class lenses, it’s the Tamron which cooperates the best with a converter (of course as long as the image resolution is concerned). It’s even more impressing as we used a Sigma converter; Sigma should be ashamed that the Tamron with a Sigma TC works a lot better than Sigma lenses."

They end the Tamron review with:

"In the 70-200 mm f/2.8 class you pay your money and you take your choice. If you don’t want to compromise and you can afford it, you should consider buying an L lens or a Nikkor 70-200 mm VR. If you can’t pay that much, you also can chose something for yourself. If the optics quality is more important to you than the mechanics quality, the Tamron will be the optimal option. If you decide otherwise, you should buy the Sigma."

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Tamron was reviewed before the sigma was released and reviewed, the reason why it says one thing but the res charts shows another, the text is in reference to the older sigmas.
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Here are 2 more comparables, using the 5D Mark II and a D3x:

Tamron: Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di LD [IF] macro - Full Format Review / Lab Test - Analysis
Sigma OS: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX OS HSM (FX) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Still shows the same thing but with the Sigma even higher numbers. But yes, I do agree, the review on the forums here is a good comparison and starting point when comparing the two.
04-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Here are 2 more comparables, using the 5D Mark II and a D3x:

Tamron: Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di LD [IF] macro - Full Format Review / Lab Test - Analysis
Sigma OS: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX OS HSM (FX) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Still shows the same thing but with the Sigma even higher numbers. But yes, I do agree, the review on the forums here is a good comparison and starting point when comparing the two.
Well, it's two very different cameras so I go more by the conclusion instead and it gives Tamron the prize optically. Also the Sigma shows a hefty corner drop off at 200mm at wide apertures that Tamron doesn't show at all.
04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, actually they are two competing cameras and not that different at all. Hey, give the prize to which ever lens you feel is better suited to your needs, but every test does show that the Sigma OS FLD does in fact resolve higher and out performs in nearly all other categories, even the comparative test here on the forums using the same exact camera shows the same.

And the conclusion is (from the first links) "the tamron against the older sigmas" and NOT the new FLD OS which resolves 15-20% higher than the older sigmas.