Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon to Pentax K adapter for Samyang tilt shift?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First off, apologies in advance if this in the wrong section as I wasn't too sure where to post it.

I would love to upcoming Samyang tilt shift which seems to have been postponed for Pentax mount if it even will get released at all. I am not interested in starting a Nikon setup, or going anywhere near Canon again to get a tilt shift or for anything else.

I was wondering if this adapter or any others would allow me to use the Samyang TS in Nikon mount for the K5? I intend to use it for more experimental selective focus work and don't mind loosing some sharpness. I am using the Lensbaby Edge 80 at the long at and loving it. If I had this for the wide end I would be one very happy camper!

Nikon lens To Pentax PK Adapter Focus Infinity Optical on eBay!

It seems to me like this might work okay as the aperture ring is on the lens and its obviously a manual focus lens anywho. Or, am I wrong? Any help is much much appreciated!

04-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nikon to Pentax converters include a "corrective element" which essentially makes them act like 1.4x teleconverters. So the short answer is no.

There is a Schneider T/S available for Pentax, but...
Schneider PC TS Super-Angulon 50mm f/2.8 Lens 06-1066458 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nikon to Pentax converters include a "corrective element" which essentially makes them act like 1.4x teleconverters. So the short answer is no.

Ah, thanks for the swift reply Adam. The Schneider option is well and truly above my budget! Cheers sir.
04-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A 24mm tilt/shift lens would be more useful on a full frame camera, which is perhaps why there is no Pentax version yet.

04-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a Russian company called Arax that makes a TS for K or m42 mount in 35 and 80mm focal lengths if you can't wait for the Samyang.
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
A 24mm tilt/shift lens would be more useful on a full frame camera, which is perhaps why there is no Pentax version yet.
Yeah i had heard that it might be why no release of it in Pentax mount yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
There is a Russian company called Arax that makes a TS for K or m42 mount in 35 and 80mm focal lengths if you can't wait for the Samyang.
Cheers, yeah i know of these. I have the Lensbaby Edge 80 already so ive got that part covered. The Arax 35mm seems to have some hit and very miss performance from what ive been able to find out about it. It's still pretty expensive to take a gamble on. Thanks though!

I found this on ebay. Would anyone know at all if it's remotely decent? It seems to be the same makers of the Arax but i dont know about the 'Mir' part of the equation.

ARSAT Mir-26 3.5/45mm TILT lens for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Sony Alpha | eBay
04-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I'll take two

04-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote

It seems to me like this might work okay as the aperture ring is on the lens and its obviously a manual focus lens anywho. Or, am I wrong? Any help is much much appreciated!
Not a good idea. I have a similar one, and it has glass elements to compensate for the registration difference of the Pentax and Nikon mounts. As such it will affect image quality. In my version, you can remove the glass elements by unscrewing them and essentially it becomes a macro extension tube to use a Nikon lens on a Pentax camera (which is the way I am using it). You cannot focus to infinity any longer but for close macro it works great without any image degradation of the Nikon lens.

Another issue with this adapter for Tilt/Shift applications is that it has a very small opening (about 22 mm) that will severely restrict the range of lens movement since it will crop the image after a very small adjustment.
04-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Not a good idea. I have a similar one, and it has glass elements to compensate for the registration difference of the Pentax and Nikon mounts. As such it will affect image quality. In my version, you can remove the glass elements by unscrewing them and essentially it becomes a macro extension tube to use a Nikon lens on a Pentax camera (which is the way I am using it). You cannot focus to infinity any longer but for close macro it works great without any image degradation of the Nikon lens.

Another issue with this adapter for Tilt/Shift applications is that it has a very small opening (about 22 mm) that will severely restrict the range of lens movement since it will crop the image after a very small adjustment.
Thanks kindly squire. Good to know.