Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Pentax FA lenses and teleconverters?

It appears that any modern, SDM lens is not reliably useable with any current converters. So one option I'm seriously considering is an older FA* 80-200 2.8, highly regarded and similar (little higher) in price to the 60-250. Would that lens work (AF, AE, etc ...) with a Sigma or other 1.4 converter when necessary? Also, are repair parts and service available for these lenses?

Any info as to if and when the SDM compatible TC from Pentax is to arrive (shows on the roadmap for 2013, or so I've read).

Thanks,

Jeff

04-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
It appears that any modern, SDM lens is not reliably useable with any current converters. So one option I'm seriously considering is an older FA* 80-200 2.8, highly regarded and similar (little higher) in price to the 60-250. Would that lens work (AF, AE, etc ...) with a Sigma or other 1.4 converter when necessary? Also, are repair parts and service available for these lenses?

Any info as to if and when the SDM compatible TC from Pentax is to arrive (shows on the roadmap for 2013, or so I've read).

Thanks,

Jeff
i have been happy with the pentax 1.7x adapter with the 300mm da lens./..you have to focus slighly to get near the object but the camera will focus the rest of the way
04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Pentax TC on the roadmap is a bit like a Unicorn - lots of stories but no facts. It's been "coming soon" for years.
04-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Pentax TC on the roadmap is a bit like a Unicorn - lots of stories but no facts. It's been "coming soon" for years.
Well, it is in the part that says 2013 or later.

04-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
so I won't count on Pentax to supply a TC, but can anybody answer the original question about FA lenses and TC's. Thanks.
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Thanks,

Jeff
Converter compatibility depends on the exact TC you have in mind, the compatibility question cannot be answered in general.

A sure bet is the Pentax 1.7x TC mentioned in an earlier response, but it is hard to find.

This Tamron will work, too, but is also hard to find.

Most other converters will not support AF, some even not AE.
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Re: Pentax FA lenses and teleconverters?

I have Tamron 1.4x and 2.x TCs and they work fine with the few FA lenses with which I have tried them; just be mindful of possible contact between the glass elements of the TC and lens if the TC and lens are not specifically designed for each other.

Buffy
04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Converter compatibility depends on the exact TC you have in mind, the compatibility question cannot be answered in general.

A sure bet is the Pentax 1.7x TC mentioned in an earlier response, but it is hard to find.

This Tamron will work, too, but is also hard to find.

Most other converters will not support AF, some even not AE.
What Ole said. I'd add that I have found that the 2x converters are more finicky than the 1.7 and 1.4 teleconverters generally. Also, the Pro-Optic/Vivitar 1.4TC that I just got works great with all my non-SDM lenses, but I only have one FA lens and one F that I use - the rest are MF and DA lenses. It';s available from both Adorama and B&H for around $99.

04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What Ole said. I'd add that I have found that the 2x converters are more finicky than the 1.7 and 1.4 teleconverters generally. Also, the Pro-Optic/Vivitar 1.4TC that I just got works great with all my non-SDM lenses, but I only have one FA lens and one F that I use - the rest are MF and DA lenses. It';s available from both Adorama and B&H for around $99.
I just bought a Vivitar 1.4 from Adorama today. Hopefully I have a better shipping experience than @littledrawe.

I have a Quantaray 2x (relabeled Kenko I think) that I bought scratch & dent from Tech4less a few years ago. In the right lighting conditions it can produce good results. It will autofocus the F 70-210 @ 210mm and the FA 80-320 @ 300mm (but not 320mm). It does not like the DA 55-300 over 200mm.