Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 253
Pentax FA lenses and teleconverters?

It appears that any modern, SDM lens is not reliably useable with any current converters. So one option I'm seriously considering is an older FA* 80-200 2.8, highly regarded and similar (little higher) in price to the 60-250. Would that lens work (AF, AE, etc ...) with a Sigma or other 1.4 converter when necessary? Also, are repair parts and service available for these lenses?

Any info as to if and when the SDM compatible TC from Pentax is to arrive (shows on the roadmap for 2013, or so I've read).

Thanks,

Jeff

04-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,627
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
It appears that any modern, SDM lens is not reliably useable with any current converters. So one option I'm seriously considering is an older FA* 80-200 2.8, highly regarded and similar (little higher) in price to the 60-250. Would that lens work (AF, AE, etc ...) with a Sigma or other 1.4 converter when necessary? Also, are repair parts and service available for these lenses?

Any info as to if and when the SDM compatible TC from Pentax is to arrive (shows on the roadmap for 2013, or so I've read).

Thanks,

Jeff
i have been happy with the pentax 1.7x adapter with the 300mm da lens./..you have to focus slighly to get near the object but the camera will focus the rest of the way
04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
The Pentax TC on the roadmap is a bit like a Unicorn - lots of stories but no facts. It's been "coming soon" for years.
04-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,302
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Pentax TC on the roadmap is a bit like a Unicorn - lots of stories but no facts. It's been "coming soon" for years.
Well, it is in the part that says 2013 or later.

04-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 253
Original Poster
so I won't count on Pentax to supply a TC, but can anybody answer the original question about FA lenses and TC's. Thanks.
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,783
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
It appears that any modern, SDM lens is not reliably useable with any current converters. So one option I'm seriously considering is an older FA* 80-200 2.8, highly regarded and similar (little higher) in price to the 60-250. Would that lens work (AF, AE, etc ...) with a Sigma or other 1.4 converter when necessary? Also, are repair parts and service available for these lenses?

Thanks,

Jeff
Converter compatibility depends on the exact TC you have in mind, the compatibility question cannot be answered in general.

A sure bet is the Pentax 1.7x TC mentioned in an earlier response, but it is hard to find.

This Tamron will work, too, but is also hard to find.

Most other converters will not support AF, some even not AE.
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Buffy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Greater Boston area, Massachusetts
Posts: 303
Re: Pentax FA lenses and teleconverters?

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
It appears that any modern, SDM lens is not reliably useable with any current converters. So one option I'm seriously considering is an older FA* 80-200 2.8, highly regarded and similar (little higher) in price to the 60-250. Would that lens work (AF, AE, etc ...) with a Sigma or other 1.4 converter when necessary? Also, are repair parts and service available for these lenses?
I have Tamron 1.4x and 2.x TCs and they work fine with the few FA lenses with which I have tried them; just be mindful of possible contact between the glass elements of the TC and lens if the TC and lens are not specifically designed for each other.

Buffy
04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Converter compatibility depends on the exact TC you have in mind, the compatibility question cannot be answered in general.

A sure bet is the Pentax 1.7x TC mentioned in an earlier response, but it is hard to find.

This Tamron will work, too, but is also hard to find.

Most other converters will not support AF, some even not AE.
What Ole said. I'd add that I have found that the 2x converters are more finicky than the 1.7 and 1.4 teleconverters generally. Also, the Pro-Optic/Vivitar 1.4TC that I just got works great with all my non-SDM lenses, but I only have one FA lens and one F that I use - the rest are MF and DA lenses. It';s available from both Adorama and B&H for around $99.

04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,302
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What Ole said. I'd add that I have found that the 2x converters are more finicky than the 1.7 and 1.4 teleconverters generally. Also, the Pro-Optic/Vivitar 1.4TC that I just got works great with all my non-SDM lenses, but I only have one FA lens and one F that I use - the rest are MF and DA lenses. It';s available from both Adorama and B&H for around $99.
I just bought a Vivitar 1.4 from Adorama today. Hopefully I have a better shipping experience than @littledrawe.

I have a Quantaray 2x (relabeled Kenko I think) that I bought scratch & dent from Tech4less a few years ago. In the right lighting conditions it can produce good results. It will autofocus the F 70-210 @ 210mm and the FA 80-320 @ 300mm (but not 320mm). It does not like the DA 55-300 over 200mm.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax fa lenses, pentax lens, sdm, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA 24-90 and 645 FA 200mm lenses spartan Sold Items 21 04-11-2012 01:21 PM
What is difference between D FA Lenses and FA Lenses koponmi Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 10-17-2011 04:19 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF Film Body and Lenses - ZX-L w/ battery grip, FA 28-90 and FA-J 75-30 dgaies Sold Items 3 08-09-2011 10:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top