Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to have 2 FA100/3.5/macro, 1 off brand, 1 Pentax FA, they are the same as far as I know. U can get the FA for a bit more than $100, and off brand less than $100, used, and AF

Attached Images

04-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SMC K 1.8/55 and 2.8/105 are both wonderful, sharp easy focused with ‘pop‘, not expensive but manual lenses. Great for portraits (with two hands). Regards
04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
You don't need a super-expensive limited lens for what you're after. An el-cheapo telezoom (50-200 / 55-300) will produce perfectly acceptable results:
That's true. A lot of the things that normally count as flaws in lenses - like corner softness, vignetting, or a general lack of sharpness - can actually enhance a portrait. Plus, as we all know, the photographer is far more important than the gear.

A while ago, I did a pro-bono photo shoot for one of the cafeteria ladies at college. I used my cheapo Tamron 70-300, since it and the kit zoom were all I had at the time. It's all you need, really, but spending more money will give you better results.

04-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
pdo

Pentax Limited 77mm shot at F/2 or 2.2

04-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Just a heads-up: KEH has several Tamron 90mm macros starting at $245, which is an great price for an outstanding lens, and from a trustworthy seller to boot. I wouldn't worry about the cheapest one being qualified as "bargain," since they are extremely strict about their wear-and-tear ratings. You'd get a short telephoto, portrait, and true 1:1 macro all in one, and it's alot cheaper than any FA* glass.
Interesting. This might be a way to go too. Shipping to me from there isn't cheap, but low and behold there's an excellent condition one locally on my classifieds...

Thanks all. I'll have to sit and chew on this a bit and figure out where I want to go.
05-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geekkt Quote
Shipping to me from there isn't cheap, but low and behold there's an excellent condition one locally on my classifieds...
It's always nice to find something locally. I used to live in metro Atlanta, where KEH offers local 2-day shipping for $7 (it's a secret; you have to order by phone to get that). Now, I live down the street from C.R.I.S. instead, so I won't have to bother with shipping if something goes wrong with my camera under warranty. Lucky me. Maybe next time, I'll move to Denver so I can pop in to PRIAC headquarters and ask 'em how the full-frame's coming along.

You know most of the fun of getting a new lens is the search, followed by the hunt. The actual purchase is only a small part of it. Have fun!
05-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Phoenix 100 mm f 1:3.5 macro AF

I have a lens that gives much better portrait results than one might suspect from the brand. It is Phoenix 100 mm f 3.5 with AF and macro features. I thought this was one of the rebranded Samyang lens, and it may well be, but it is "Made in Japan." Highly recommended for IQ and value if you can use the FL. Personally, I stick to my 77 ltd for inside portrait work so I don't have to keep backing up all the way to the wall just to get a bust/head shot!

05-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I used to live in metro Atlanta, where KEH offers local 2-day shipping for $7 (it's a secret; you have to order by phone to get that).
Good to know, I live in Atlanta and might pick up something from KEH someday.
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a DA70mm, and love it.

I used to think that anything longer than about 135mm (35mm equivalent) was too long, but lately I've been rethinking this lens philosophy.

Here's an article by Ken Rockwell to read, and to discuss. Portrait Lenses

I know some people like Ken's opinions, and some don't. I only posted this article, because I have personally seen fashion photographers here in New York City use very long, fast lenses to get tight head shots and make the background disappear. He states this in his article.

I plan to test out my Pentax M100mm f4.0 Macro and newly acquired Takumar 150mm f4.0 for portraits, since the weather is getting nicer now.

They will yield fields of view of 150mm and 225mm focal lengths respectively.

We shall see.

Mike
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Turns out there's a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro coming to my hands tonight. I worked out a good deal, and don't currently have a macro lens anyway - I ditched my old macro (I think it was 50?) a while back. So I'm going to attempt to kill two birds with one stone and see what I think about the focal length for portraits, then go from there in determining my next purchase. An el cheapo zoom might still be in the works as I have nothing long, and then maybe something quite wide..you know how it goes.