Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #1

Sigma Super Wide II + 52-49 step down ring

Greetings to all that have not already declared me a fool from the title of this thread,

I feel as though I am disobeying one of photography's commandments: Thou shalt not use a step down ring on a wide angle lens.

Owning only Pentax primes, all of my filters are of a 49mm thread diameter. I have recently purchased a Sigma Super Wide II and want to use it for b&w work on film. To do so, I would be coupling it to a filter - if possible a 49mm filter.

I read recently of Nikonians using a 82-77 step down ring with the Sigma 20mm f1.8 on full frame -
geek7, 4th comment: Flickr: Discussing Using 77mm filters with step-down ring? in Sigma 20mm f1.8
As a percentage of the original thread diameter, the 82-77 stepdown is 6.1% whereas the 52-49 stepdown is 5.8%. Furthermore, in the case of the Nikonians, the lens in question was 4mm wider.

Might I be able to commit original sin and use a step down ring with a wide angle lens in 135 format?

Thank you for your time,
Jay

04-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only one way to find out! Take a photo and see if vignetting is a problem.
04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Only one way to find out! Take a photo and see if vignetting is a problem.
That is what I may have to do if nobody has had a similar experience from which they can recount. However, developing an entire roll of film only to discover that all frames show vignetting would cost me nearly as much as a 52mm filter and so is impractical.

I cannot test for vignetting on my dSLR as it has a crop sensor and so doesn't use the entire image circle of the film era full frame lens. There could be an intolerable amount of vignetting on full frame that would not show in the crop format.
04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I missed the part about film, rushed off to find a 52->49mm step ring and took some shots on APS-C, which are fine. But that's about what you'd expect. I then got an MX out of the drawer, actually put an average sized filter on the ring, and looked through the viewfinder. I think you might have trouble there. There's some guessing because I wear glasses and have to actively look at each corner of the MX viewfinder, I'm just holding the ring/filter combo in place and the viewfinder is only 95%.

Maybe try it on the last shot of another roll of film?

04-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make a matte screen with some magic tape stuck to some stiff clear plastic and lay on the film gate. Hold the shutter open in B mode.
Now you can see the coverage.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
Just1MoreDave,
What a wonderfully practical idea to try the combo on the last frame of another roll of film. Thank you very much. This is what I am going to do.
What lens were you stepping down with?
More importantly, what is an MX doing stowed in a drawer!?

wombat2go,
I really like this full frame tester you have come up with. Being born into the digital age of photography, it is easy to forget that the process of making a photograph is physically happening inside the camera body. For the moment I am going to use Just1MoreDave's idea of shooting the last frame of a roll of film but your contraption is great to know of for use with other DA lenses or lenses and step down rings.

Thanks to everyone for their hasty and well informed responses.
I'll let you know how it goes,
Jay