Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Asahi SV and Super Takumar 1:1.4 / 50mm

I am in search of a definative answer about the early SV (H3v) with the green 'R' on the rewind knob and the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens.

Will it fit?

I have both the SV and H3v - the H3v has the red 'R', while the older SV has the green 'R'. I also have a Super Takumar 50mm f 1.4, seven (7) element lens. The second version of the 50mm (the first version of the 7 element lens).

I use the lens on a SPF and the H3v without any problems, but I would like to know for sure that it will not interfere with the mirror on the older SV. The SV is my favorite of the three cameras and is as close to pristine as a 50 year old camera can be that is actually used. I have read that only the original eight element lens would interfere with the mirror on the older (green 'R') cameras as the rear element protrudes into the camera body further than the seven element version.

I have also read that they all interfere with the mirrors on the older cameras.

Please, which is the case?

I also read that the original (f22 / 58mm filter) 1:3.5 / 28mm would not work on my SV. I actually use this lens the most on the SV without any problems.

So I have come to the experts for the answer. (BTW, at the recommendation of the fellow at pentaxs.com.)

Many Thanks!

05-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marvin2005 Quote
I am in search of a definative answer about the early SV (H3v) with the green 'R' on the rewind knob and the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens.

Will it fit?

I have both the SV and H3v - the H3v has the red 'R', while the older SV has the green 'R'. I also have a Super Takumar 50mm f 1.4, seven (7) element lens. The second version of the 50mm (the first version of the 7 element lens).

I use the lens on a SPF and the H3v without any problems, but I would like to know for sure that it will not interfere with the mirror on the older SV. The SV is my favorite of the three cameras and is as close to pristine as a 50 year old camera can be that is actually used. I have read that only the original eight element lens would interfere with the mirror on the older (green 'R') cameras as the rear element protrudes into the camera body further than the seven element version.

I have also read that they all interfere with the mirrors on the older cameras.

Please, which is the case?

I also read that the original (f22 / 58mm filter) 1:3.5 / 28mm would not work on my SV. I actually use this lens the most on the SV without any problems.

So I have come to the experts for the answer. (BTW, at the recommendation of the fellow at pentaxs.com.)

Many Thanks!
I have found through the Asahi Optical Historical Club that the 2nd, redesigned version of the 50/1.4 now cleared the mirror on the original SV/H3v. I tried it, checking the actual clearance between the rear element 'housing' and the focusing screen shield and there is plenty of clearance at infinity. If anyone is interested the AOHC has some interesting facts.
05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Welcome to the Pentax Forums. Sorry no one responded to your original post. I suspect it would have gotten more traction in the film slr section. If you are able to use your ST 50/1.4 (seven element) on your SV, it might be good to add a review for both the lens and camera. Conventional wisdom is that the "green R" version SVs are strictly incompatible with the ST 50/1.4.

As for the ST 28/3.5 (first version) being incompatible...that is news to me. Glad to hear the rumor is false.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-28-2013 at 01:45 PM.
05-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hi,
Welcome to the Pentax Forums. Sorry no one responded to your original post. I suspect it would have gotten more traction in the film slr section. If you are able to use your ST 50/1.4 (seven element) on your SV, it might be good to add a review for both the lens and camera. Conventional wisdom is that the "green R" version SVs are strictly incompatible with the ST 50/1.4.

As for the ST 28/3.5 (first version) being incompatible...that is news to me. Glad to hear the rumor is false.

Steve
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I didn't realize I was not in the Film SLR forum. But you are certainly right about getting more responses if I'm in the right place. Thanks again.

01-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Fit on K 30?

Does anyone know if the Super-Takumar 1:1.4/ 50mm seven (7) element will fit into a Pentax K 30? I've looked for a while now and I can't find a thing. Will it fit, or will I have to buy a mount?
01-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shah Quote
Does anyone know if the Super-Takumar 1:1.4/ 50mm seven (7) element will fit into a Pentax K 30? I've looked for a while now and I can't find a thing. Will it fit, or will I have to buy a mount?
Every K mount lens will fit, and every M42 mount lense will with an adapter.