Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking for a similar lense

Hey guys! I haven't posted here in forever!

I haven't been as active with photography now, but it has become more apparent when I looked back at my old photos and the performance I got from my lenses.

My main lense currently is a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM. And I use a Pentax 55-300mm DA f/4-5.8 ED on the side for when I need a telephoto (which is rare now).

I guess as life style changes, also your need for lenses changes.

As much as I love my 17-70mm, I realized that it's not perfect, and no lense is. I love all that it has to offer, but there are things that bug me about it and I'm wondering if you guys could suggest a lense that is similar.

I love the bells and whistles on the Sigma. Macro, OS (that I usually use instead of the stabilizer in my camera but they both work well), the wider range of focal length, and HSM.

But the things that bother me about it are...

When I compare the colours to my Pentax lenses, I prefer the rendering of colours from my Pentax lenses, the Sigma colours to me are too "mature" for my tastes or dark.

Not the sharpest lense in the world, but it does produce really good photos with the right amount of light. I could prefer a sharper lense. (Maybe the macro affects the sharpness)

Thanks, hope I don't sound too picky .

04-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lenses are like everything else, those that do many things are never the best at any one thing. The only real solution to your dilemma is many different lenses. A proper macro, and a collection of DA and/or FA primes will get you there, but it's not a cheap path to go down. I suggest picking the one area you most want to improve, and buy one lens to solve that problem. Repeat until you are either happy or broke. In your shoes, I'd start by buying the DA15.

A DA18-135 or 17-70 would be about the same quality of lens, but with Pentax colors.
04-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
OS (that I usually use instead of the stabilizer in my camera but they both work well)
I strongly recommend nor using the lens's stabilization but instead always using what your body offers. The lens's system is an absurd battery hog.

In short you want a similar lens to your Sigma but with the colours of a Pentax lens ? Then why not look at the Pentax 17-70? You would loose close focus and some sped at the wide end but the lens would be Pentax. Or if you've got tons of money, the 16-50 is also a great lens, plus it's faster and has weather sealing.

Or... given that each lens is different and taht even among Pentax lenses there are differences in colours, why not try to find a post-processing routine that delivers the colours you want? That might be less expensive.
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Lenses are like everything else, those that do many things are never the best at any one thing. The only real solution to your dilemma is many different lenses. A proper macro, and a collection of DA and/or FA primes will get you there, but it's not a cheap path to go down. I suggest picking the one area you most want to improve, and buy one lens to solve that problem. Repeat until you are either happy or broke. In your shoes, I'd start by buying the DA15.

A DA18-135 or 17-70 would be about the same quality of lens, but with Pentax colors.
Yep, when I was first deciding on a lense in this range, my next choice was the DA 17-70. Maybe I should look into that or maybe I really don't need all that range hehe. I think I might go the prime route. Thanks for the advice !

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I strongly recommend nor using the lens's stabilization but instead always using what your body offers. The lens's system is an absurd battery hog.

In short you want a similar lens to your Sigma but with the colours of a Pentax lens ? Then why not look at the Pentax 17-70? You would loose close focus and some sped at the wide end but the lens would be Pentax. Or if you've got tons of money, the 16-50 is also a great lens, plus it's faster and has weather sealing.

Or... given that each lens is different and taht even among Pentax lenses there are differences in colours, why not try to find a post-processing routine that delivers the colours you want? That might be less expensive.
True, I never though about the OS system being more battery consuming! Yikes

I will probably look at the 17-70, but I think I can live without the extra 20mm anyways, so maybe in due time I can save up for a 16-50mm or a prime lense of the sort. I really like the idea of silent focusing (or quiet anyways).

That is true that Pentax lenses still have differences in colour renditioning. I should probably put my post-processing into good use. Might take some time, but might save some money as well. I've never been much of a post processor but I guess it won't hurt to get into it !

Thanks guys for the reply !