Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Samyang 24mm f/3.5 T-S not available for Pentax

Samyang Tilt-Shift 24mm to be released in mid-May - Lenstip.com And again the same story as with Sigma,which does not produce new lenses in Pentax mount... Whats wrong with you, lens makers?

04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it is still on for preorder in finland, price is much lower than on that lenstip page(yes, Finland is part of Europe). So I just might think that this Lenstip is not up the date...
04-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Patience. The official web site says a K-mount version will arrive. SamYang has been happily supporting K-mount for years, in fact offering even better support on K-mount than any other mount (eg SamYang Nikon/Canon mounts don't get auto-aperture like many Pentax SamYangs do). Ditto Sigma - Pentax and Sony mount Sigma lenses usually do arrive, after a delay.
04-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Patience. The official web site says a K-mount version will arrive. SamYang has been happily supporting K-mount for years, in fact offering even better support on K-mount than any other mount (eg SamYang Nikon/Canon mounts don't get auto-aperture like many Pentax SamYangs do).

And if you like "living on the edge,"
composition adjustment on the K5
will give you an extra 1.5mm of shift each way.

04-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Patience. The official web site says a K-mount version will arrive. SamYang has been happily supporting K-mount for years, in fact offering even better support on K-mount than any other mount (eg SamYang Nikon/Canon mounts don't get auto-aperture like many Pentax SamYangs do). Ditto Sigma - Pentax and Sony mount Sigma lenses usually do arrive, after a delay.
£949.00

Ouch!!! Though I guess that is cheap compared to the competition.

Steve
04-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Though I guess that is cheap compared to the competition.
It's cheaper still to do your tilt-shift it in software like DxO Optics Pro or PTLens
04-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's cheaper still to do your tilt-shift it in software like DxO Optics Pro or PTLens
Yes, you can do perspective correction using software, but it is not quite the same and involves (unavoidably) a decrease in image quality. For those wondering what rawr is referring to, software emulation of tilt-shift involves perspective correction for keystone (tilt) of an extreme wide angle image with appropriate crop to provide the equivalent of shift. Image quality is lost at both steps.

Note that this is not the same as the popular T/S effect available from a LensBaby or by using selective blurring in PP.

Steve

(...is a huge fan of PTLens...)

04-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

On Samyang's french facebook, there's a clear and official answer to "the" question. And it's a bad answer : there won't be TS for Pentax due to "superior mount design on the last K cameras", which impedes the operation of large diameter lens, such as the TS. "Maybe later".

In clear : the K30's ugly nose is blocking the knobs. Nice move ! Thanks again Pentax, don't forget to congratulate your genius designer. Now excuse me, fellow pentaxians, but I have to save for a 600D...
05-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The tilt shift would work just fine on a K-01, in fact seeing this response I now understand why a competitor who does manufacture a K-mount tilt shift said it wouldn't tilt up. Obviously it will tilt up on a K-01. That leaves me free to order from that manufacturer, and who also gives me the freedom to use my Pentax 645 lenses. Thanks for the post and quote.(And to my Canaidan high school education that enables me to understand rudimentary French.) Samyang is partially right... but as often happens, didn't tell the whole story. They missed the pat where the K-01 is the perfect system to run a tilt shift on.
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The tilt shift would work just fine on a K-01, in fact seeing this response I now understand why a competitor who does manufacture a K-mount tilt shift said it wouldn't tilt up. Obviously it will tilt up on a K-01. That leaves me free to order from that manufacturer, and who also gives me the freedom to use my Pentax 645 lenses. Thanks for the post and quote.(And to my Canaidan high school education that enables me to understand rudimentary French.) Samyang is partially right... but as often happens, didn't tell the whole story. They missed the pat where the K-01 is the perfect system to run a tilt shift on.
I'm pretty sure the TS would work on the K-01, and also the K-5. The problem is that Samyang is unlikely to release the PK mount version of the TS. The PK version have long been announced, then it had been cancelled very recently. In my opinion, what happened is the following :
- Samyang developped TS prototypes for all mounts, including Pentax
- As it's a quite professional company (I own the 14 f/2.8 and it's really a great lens), they have made tests on Pentax cameras on the market at this time, such as Kr, K7, K5, K01... and it worked well
- So the made pre-production series, based on these specifications
- They tested these series, and saw that the newly arrived K30 had a protuberant "nose" that impedes the correct operation of said lens (it's supposed to shift in any direction, and there are knobs everywhere to do so)
- Seeing this, and considering the niche market that Pentax is, Samyang decided to simply cancel the release and focus on canikonsony release.
Which is a bad news for us. And which is the reason I now consider buying a D800. Is anybody here interested by an almost new kidney ?
05-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #11

Looks like you had your answer. Sorry Norm, I'm in the same case as you. I really love my Pentax camera and I've invested a lot in K-system lens, I've bought my last Pentax lens just three weeks ago. I went to a store and had a look at the K-30 flash yesterday, just to be sure. The infamous K-30 nose is only a bit of plastic with no other purpose than supposedly "looking good". I'm really pissed by the fact that I'm gonna spend €4000 in Nikon material just because some douchebag Pentax designer thought it was a great idea to have a pointy frontal element on the K-30. That, and the never-showing full-frame, the lens release button that disappeared from my K5 one day, the total lack of information, the released-only-in-japan policy etc...

Not pro. I'm really pissed.
05-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My money is still on SamYang releasing a K-mount version of this at some stage. If there was no K-mount version, it would probably be the only time they haven't released a K-mount version of a lens.
05-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Also looking at, for example, the profile of a K-30 alongside a Canon 7D or 60D, you can see that having a overhang over the lens mount isn't an exclusive issue of the K-30.

The 60D in particular looks to to have similar proportions to the K-30 in this regard.
Attached Images

05-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #14

05-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There's not much in it, so I call BS.
Anyway, even if it was a serious obstruction, the K-30 is just one body in the Pentax range. If people wanted to use an expensive T/S lens, they'd simply use a body that would fit. For a mere $249 they could simply use a K-01 instead of a K-30. Problem solved.