Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If people wanted to use an expensive T/S lens, they'd simply use a body that would fit. For a mere $249 they could simply use a K-01 instead of a K-30. Problem solved.
People want to use a relatively cheap T/S lens, the Samyang.
()Less than half the cost of a Schneider-Kreuznach.)
If that lens is indeed not being offered in K-mount,
then having a K-01 won't help.

05-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about this lens as the samples I've seen aren't all that great: Sample Image Gallery: Rokinon T-S 24mm F/3.5 Tilt-Shift Lens | Popular Photography

As far as the 'nose' on the K-30 goes, it looks to me like it's just a case trying to gain a little extra distance for the flash from the optical axis. It's not Pentax' job to design camera bodies for lenses that don't exist so I wouldn't go blaming them for Samsung's decision. Also, don't blame Pentax for your decision to buy a D800.. I really doubt that you'll be disappointed and you may want to write them a thank you note.
05-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Meh, I think Samyang will come up with something. Especially because Pentax is guaranteed sales. There are no TS Pentax lenses (other than legacy lenses, adapted middle format lenses, and Schneider-Kreuznach and Arsat lenses). So there is much less competition than with Canikon, where they have more TS lenses available

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
05-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Here's where I plan to order my T/S from, MIREX-Adapter f
I already have a 55 and 75 645 lenses, I'll try and pick up a wider lens , but that will get me started. As for Samyang, taking their assertion that they aren't supporting Pentax for this lens because of the overhang on the K-30 is crazy. Just because a guy works for some company doesn't mean he tells you what they're thinking. They can blame it on whatever they want. I already told them I was taking my business elsewhere, and I notice my post has been removed from their facebook page. I understand them not wanting to anger Pentax users, but they do that by supporting Pentax users, not by making bogus statements about the suitability K-mount cameras.

That's just corporate BS. I can't believe it got quoted verbatim as if Samyang are some corporation that will say what makes them look best, and blames someone else for their short comings. The honest thing to say would be " we don't believe we can make any money selling these to Pentax users." That's the plain truth. Mirex on the other hand has faith in the Pentax market, and is lean enough they don't have to sell thousands of products to make ends meet. I can honestly say on tis one... Samyang dropped the ball. I have a camera that can use their product and they aren't getting my money, because the suits in their head office made a dumb decision. Quit blaming Pentax for this.

05-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I already have a 55 and 75 645 lenses, I'll try and pick up a wider lens , but that will get me started. As for Samyang, taking their assertion that they aren't supporting Pentax for this lens because of the overhang on the K-30 is crazy. Just because a guy works for some company doesn't mean he tells you what they're thinking. They can blame it on whatever they want. I already told them I was taking my business elsewhere, and I notice my post has been removed from their facebook page. I understand them not wanting to anger Pentax users, but they do that by supporting Pentax users, not by making bogus statements about the suitability K-mount cameras.

That's just corporate BS. I can't believe it got quoted verbatim as if Samyang are some corporation that will say what makes them look best, and blames someone else for their short comings. The honest thing to say would be " we don't believe we can make any money selling these to Pentax users." That's the plain truth. Mirex on the other hand has faith in the Pentax market, and is lean enough they don't have to sell thousands of products to make ends meet. I can honestly say on tis one... Samyang dropped the ball. I have a camera that can use their product and they aren't getting my money, because the suits in their head office made a dumb decision. Quit blaming Pentax for this.
Wouldn't that T/S adapter make every lens focus too closely for architecture or does it contain a glass corrector lens? It seems to me that the K-5 sensor can do a pretty decent SHIFT but no TILT so maybe just some kind of tilt adapter would be necessary for that camera thus making the adapter not so deep.
05-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Samyang dropped the ball.

Who dropped the ball ? Who let their customers in the mist ?

In one corner, we have a company, Samyang, which explains clearly their problems to release a TS lens for Pentax, because recent Pentax cameras are poorly designed. They had worked on the PK version and probably spent some money on it, because it was widely advertised that the TS will support PK. Then, they changed their mind, and there is no more release for this lens. Why ? Are they stupid ? Do they love throwing money by the windows ? So far they've always supported Pentax, even with very specific products such as the 8mm. Why not the TS ? Their explaination makes sense.

In the opposite corner, we have another company, Pentax, which says... well, pretty much nothing, because that's their policy to keep mute and don't communicate. In case Nikon steal their Sony sensors and Canon adjusts his release schedule to Pentax's one, or for other silly reasons. Looks like they haven't realized that they're no more a major players in the business. If you are a challenger and you don't communicate, you're dead, the customer forgets your glorious name and you fade into history, store after store, country after country.

Some month ago I was in need for an expert compact. Of course, Pentax had nothing in their range so I've considered some cameras, such as the S110, the RX100, the XF1... Finally I bought a Samsung EX2F, because it has a wide zoom and a flipping screen, and I do many photos of concerts, protests and so on. Two month later, Pentax released the MX-1, which is exactly what I've needed. So, why didn't they talk about it before ? I would have waited to buy it.
05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It seems to me that the K-5 sensor can do a pretty decent SHIFT
Only 1.5mm each way.

05-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
In one corner, we have a company, Samyang, which explains clearly their problems to release a TS lens for Pentax, because recent Pentax cameras are poorly designed.
One of the biggest sign some one is trolling is, put words in other people mouths. I have an email here sang that the K-01 would work fine with the tilt shift. Also no where do they say Pentax is poorly designed, yet you keep saying that. Here's what they said on their facebook page.

QuoteQuote:
Dear Norman, like other K fans i understand your disappointment but there is an issue with Pentax SLR bodies design (not on K-01) as the 'close to mount' flash unit cover prevent attachment of large lenses such as T-S or mirror."
OK, now where is the part about poor design? There could be a Samyang T/S for a K mount, and Samyang chose not to make it. Corporate policy. Your witness counsellor.
05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #24

You don't understand. There could NOT be a T/S for K-mount because no company would make a lens for only a part of a body lineup that is already shrinking. A T/S would fit on your K-01 ? Nice, but are you aware that the K-01 is a commercial failure, which is cancelled ? There are very few K-01 around, personnaly, I've never seen one in operation or in a store anywhere. The potential market for such a lens is very limited, probably to you and a couple of eccentrics. Developing a lens costs money, selling it also, and I find legitimate that Samyang didn't bother to release a lens with such a little potential.

And changing lens is not an extra feature you can easily overlook. It's the very purpose of a DSLR. When you design a DSLR in which you can't fix any lens you want because someone, somewhere, found it looks cooler to make it so and so, excuse me if I offend your pentaxism, but it's a perfect example of poor design.

Last edited by Asp Explorer; 05-05-2013 at 08:09 AM.
05-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asp Explorer Quote
There could NOT be a T/S for K-mount
Oh, better tell Schneider-Kreuznach:

Jos. Schneider Optische Werke Kreuznach: Tilt/Shift Lenses
05-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't understand. There could NOT be a T/S for K-mount because no company would make a lens for only a part of a body lineup that is already shrinking.
What person needs a TS lens for professional work but uses a mid-range body with disabled professional controls and limited functional buttons?

If you will read this thread, you will note in the discussion I had with James Malcolm earlier this week I was told the installed base of Pentax bodies is insufficient to encourage third-party manufacturers to release lenses in K-mount. Pentax's releases of mid-range colored bodies (such as K-30) which appeal to mid-market consumers is intentionally designed to increase the installed base of K-mount cameras so third-party lens manufacturers will again release in K-mount. Pentax is still recovering from Hoya's lack of attention, and will continue to suffer for many years.

K-30, though quite capable, is not a camera designed specifically with full professional use in mind. Samyang never thought they would sell lenses to K-30 users in any significant quantity. Their statement doesn't stand up to close reading.

Use of invective in your argument does not add any credibility to the fact that you have 18 posts in 2+ years, including those made in this thread.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
05-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

And changing lens is not an extra feature you can easily overlook. It's the very purpose of a DSLR. When you design a DSLR in which you can't fix any lens you want because someone, somewhere, found it looks cooler to make it so and so, excuse me if I offend your pentaxism, but it's a perfect example of poor design.
Its not up to Pentax to make sure other brand's lenses will fit. In fact, its probably not in their interest at all.

And also, the Pentax cameras have a longer register distance than other brands. Doesn't that mean that Samyang could add that little extension and make it slimmer at the mount?
05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax is still recovering from Hoya's lack of attention, and will continue to suffer for many years
If that's the case, then it will be too late for Pentax to recover. That amount of time to "recover" is nothing short of unacceptable. The people at Sony, Canon, and Nikon must be sitting back and laughing their "blanks" off.
05-05-2013, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Use of invective in your argument does not add any credibility to the fact that you have 18 posts in 2+ years, including those made in this thread.
- Where invective ?
- What is my post count supposed to demonstrate ?

Maybe Pentax is "recovering from Hoya lack of interest". The fact, fact, is that in recent Pentax history :
- Px released the K-5 in october 2010, which is three and a half years from now, and that was an excellent camera A THIRD OF A DECADE AGO.
- Then Px released :
  • The mirrorless K-5 AKA K-01
  • The plastic K-5 with a big nose AKA K-30
Then they gave up trying to convince us they'd make a new camera and released :
  • The K-5 with slightly improved autofocus
  • The K-5 with slightly improved autofocus and no AA-filter
So basilcally, Pentax didn't release a single new camera in 3.5 years (except toys and compacts).

Pentax totally failed to enter the compact SLR market. Oh sorry, I forgot, "the Q is a huge success in Japan".
Pentax so totally failed to enter the expert compact market that the simply didn't try to properly sell the MX-1.
Just have a look at the 2012-2013 lens release schedule and tell me where are the lenses for the full-frame camera that will be announced soon-very-soon ?

Of course, Pentax can't compete with Canon or Nikon, but just compare to what Sony achieved in the same time.
05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's cheaper still to do your tilt-shift it in software like DxO Optics Pro or PTLens
It's even cheaper to just draw your pictures instead of take them with expensive cameras...let's all do that instead.

It is possible to do selective blurring and perspective correction in post, but you lose image quality that way. Shift lenses let you get correct perspective without resorting to carving your image up like Turducken.

Also, you can't use software to sharpen appreciably, and that's one of the nice things about a Tilt lens: being able to use tiit so that you don't have to stop down past the diffraction limit to get necessary DoF.