Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hey folks,
Lots of discussion here about zooms vs primes. Seems that Geomez and Kerrodown understand my point. When I first started shooting digital, I would still often used my camera in manual mode and just use the metering for knowing what to adjust the setting to. But all these years, I realized how I was lazy in a sense, while zooming and not paying much attention to what focal length I was using. When I first started using my set of primes, I usually switched a few times between primes to get a particular shot, whereas now, I look at what I want to shoot, and simply know which prime to pick.

There are many aspects that make a good photographer, and I feel that having an increased awareness of the focal lengths that one uses is one of those aspects.

My 17-70mm Sigma will be my convenience lens when I don't feel like switching primes. My other zoom is my Bigma (50-500mm) that I have for telephoto.

kh1234567890, I like your graph, that is a good idea.

04-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
using zoom gets you the images you need every time, all the time.
Oh dear, that's me in a bit of trouble then!
04-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #33
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
simply know which prime to pick
It's a bit like a golfer with his club selection... you get to know which one you need.
04-27-2013, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

I find I have more fun when shooting with primes, especially manual focus. I slow down, and submit to creativity. I get more 'artsy' shots that no one else but me will ever think are good.

04-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I get more 'artsy' shots that no one else but me will ever think are good.
Maybe not a great testimonial, but I know exactly what you mean.
05-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Many years ago I shot with my first 35mm SLR, a Praktica LTL and four lenses, a 28mm, 50mm, 135mm, and a 200mm. At one point both the 50 and the 135 were in the shop, and for two or three weeks I shot with only the 28 and the 200. I had a higher percentage of "keepers" during that period than I usually did, I think because I was forced to consider the subject and my relation to it. I should try that experiment again....
05-02-2013, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I started out shooting prime lenses and learned to appreciate the differences between 'camera position + focal length' vs 'zooming in/out'. These days, I'm shooting zoom lenses primarily and I can feel myself become desensitized to the nuances of perspective...and I don't see that as a good thing.
05-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

If shooting with a zoom leaves you feeling like a loosey-goosey trombone player and indecisive about FL, just use tape or a tight rubber band to temporarily "lock" the zoom at any FL you choose - until you get tired of that FoV, then you can pick another. It's all in how you choose to mentally approach the convenience of the zoom lenses. Eventually you won't need the reminder and your whole approach to using the zooms will change.

I find it easier today to simply think of the zoom lens as an on-camera collection of primes that doesn't require exposing the sensor to change FLs and I pre-plan the shots around that concept.

My Tammy AF 24-135, for instance, is a bag full of primes; i.e., 24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 105, 120 and 135mm with the FoV of each FL still embedded from my Spotmatic days. If I should then tweak the chosen FL a teensy bit 'cause I'm to lazy to move, well . . . that's a good thing too. It's just laziness an' old age creepin' up on me.

H2

Indecision's the key to flexibility.

05-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I find it easier today to simply think of the zoom lens as an on-camera collection of primes that doesn't require exposing the sensor to change FLs and I pre-plan the shots around that concept.
I do this. I paint lines on my zooms at 24, 35, and 50 to better remind me of where they're at so get the feel of using primes without having to resort to primes. Truthfully I'd love to resort to primes, they're just out of my budget.
05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #40
Forum Member

A prime for photographs; A zoom for snapshots

First, I have a fine Sigma zoom lens that I use for all sorts of snapshots of my grandkids. I also shoot these snaps JPG because everyone wants a copy ASAP. It is the only practical way to go.

I use primes and RAW for the photographs I keep to enter into shows and possibly sell. I know the best settings for the four primes I own. But most importantly, I am lazy. If I take a zoom I tend not to move around and compose the lens on the spot. Each time I make a lens selection, I am forced to think how the photo will come out in print. I hardly ever do that with my snaps since my grandkids are cute and there are plenty of relatives who want snaps of them.

It may be a bit crazy but I think using primes for my best photos has made me a better photographer.
05-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I find I have more fun when shooting with primes, especially manual focus. I slow down, and submit to creativity. I get more 'artsy' shots that no one else but me will ever think are good.
I had to laugh reading your post...exactly how I feel.