Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Zeiss contax lenses for my K30

hello everyone,

I'm currently studying in the us for a semester and i invested in a Pentax k30 with the 18-55 DAL kit lens.
i've to say that this camera is great and i've had lot of fun in the last past months.

However i was thinking of investing in the Pentax 35mm f2.4 as a first ( cheap) prime lens.

BUT, while i was spkyping with my father ( who is in frnace right know) i realized that he has three great Carl Zeis Contax lenses:

distagon 2.8/28 t*
sonner 2.8/135 t*
planar 1.4/50 t*

i spend quite a long time on the internet trying to figure out what to do and i need some wise advises.

Indeed:
* for 58 leitax ( Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax) is selling a ring but i'm quite afraid by the work i'll have to do on the lenses.
*for 108 leitax can plug the ring for me
* Or i can sell these lense and by one or two great pentax lenses ( 35mm or 50 mm).

What should i do?

04-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, as legendary as Zeiss is, I'd say Pentax would take the cake if you're buying limited primes. Zeiss has too cold of a rendition for me, to be honest.
04-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One thing is sure, those lenses will probably hold their value and performance over the years.
04-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Victor et George Quote
i spend quite a long time on the internet trying to figure out what to do and i need some wise advises.
I have fitted a Leitax to a Leica R 90mm f2.8.

When you read on the net the process looks a bit scary - in reality, as long as you take it slowly, carefully and step by step it is not too bad at all.

The best thing about a Leitax conversion is as long as you keep all the pieces it is fully reversible should you ever want to in the future.

My advice - buy one Leitax converter and have a try - you will have fun doing it, and learn something whatever the outcome

Cheers

Ross

04-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok
thank you all!
I think i'm going to try to convert the planar ( which seems to be an awesome lens) with leitax. i'll give a feed back
and then see what i'll do with the distagon and the sonnar.
Do you think that i cans old them and buy a pentax limited?
i've seen good reviews of these lenses but is it review made with the 80's lenses or new one? is there any difference?
04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Evening Victor,

I have converted a couple of the Contax Carl Zeiss lenses. They are excellent when paired with a Pentax body, given that you do not mind manual focusing. The K30 with the focus peaking is excellent at this. I have the 28mm f2.8 Distagon and the 85mm f2.8 Sonnar. I also have a Leica R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit that has the Leitax conversion mount. They are all keepers. Here is both a review and a comparison that I was involved with and will hopefully answer a number of your questions. Note on the shootout link, Les has added some pictures of the conversion.The Leitax conversion kit is extremely good. The two items that you need to check are:
  • The Contax lens is the MM and not the AE model of the C/Y mount. You can tell this with the f22 stop. If its printed in green then its the MM, if its in white, its the AE.
  • On the conversion, one of the screws holding the mount will be glued in. You will probably need a hot soldering iron to touch the screw head in order to break the glued bond. Also, the screw head is not phillips, its the Japanese JIT screw type head.
Also, if you run into problems, Eric can help you out. Eric can do the entire conversion for you, if you wish.The results are stunning and the conversion is very worthwhile. The difference between say the CZ 28 and the 31 Ltd is autofocus and auto aperture. None of the FA Limited lenses have any digital coating and they work just fine on digital sensor cameras. The Contax lenses will provide just the same exceptional results.

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.
04-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you don't mind manual focus and exposure, I'd recommend trying the conversion. Those are some great lenses that will perform wonderfully on your K-30. As Ross mentioned earlier, buy one kit and try to convert a lens (maybe start with the 50mm), if it goes smoothly and you enjoy using the lens, convert the rest. Good luck!
04-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Very bad new,
My father just told me that the lenses do not have any green figures.
It might be AE and not MM mount.Too bad.

Thank you for your help!

04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Very bad new,
My father just told me that the lenses do not have any green figures.
It might be AE and not MM mount.Too bad.

Thank you for your help!
The AE version are sought after by the Canon folks. Canon bodies have a shorter registration distance (which is the distance between the mirror and the front edge of the camera lens mount), than what Pentax has. Thus, they can use the AE version with an adapter (and not modify the mount). Therefore, you can use your plan (plan B), sell the lenses if you choose and re-invest with other glass - Pentax or whatever.

You can easily sell the Contax glass, either on ebay or FredMaranda.com. Here are some prices, taken from completed sales posted on ebay.
distagon 2.8/28 t* - $300 to $450
sonner 2.8/135 t* - $150 to $280
planar 1.4/50 t* - $225 to $500
The prices vary based on who is looking, condition of the item, mount type - some folks look for MM's, while others look for AE's.

hope that helps....

04-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a few Zeiss C/Y. These are not the best but good lenses.
04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tank you all!
I'm going to sell them even if it's sad for these nice family lenses.
I'm currently looking at the Pentax 35mm f2.4. Is it a good first prime lens?
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian

Tank you all!
I'm going to sell them even if it's sad for these nice family lenses.
I'm currently looking at the Pentax 35mm f2.4. Is it a good first prime lens?
I think if I was going for a Pentax 35mm I would chose the DA 35mm Macro Limited f2.8 - it is little gem of a lens. It costs more than the 35/2.4 but it is a lens you will never regret owning. The images it produces are superb