Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
what will happen to a lens with no front name plate?

i found this lens in our local online store in the philippines...what will happen to a lens without a name plate?

i'm planning to buy this but i need some suggestions... can inserting a filter in the filter thread permanently help??
the lens itself is mechanically good.. and everything is smooth except for the paint on the lens body (common problem for used old lenses) and the missing name plate..

this lens is a Promaster 28-70mm f2.8-4.2 MC Auto ZOOM MACRO






thanks guys !!

04-28-2013, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 269
Unless it was less than $5.00 I wouldn't touch that lens. It's not a great lens to begin with and it looks really rough. 28-70s are cheap in decent condition.
04-28-2013, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member
drypenn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
Agree with post-eos. Don't even consider it.

I'm from the Philippines too. Sadly, most of the second hand lenses here are exorbitantly priced. Take the case of one currently posted old Pentax F100mm macro, priced at $476!!!

Crazy pricing! Well, you can get one at marketplace for $475-500, and that's for a mint 100mm WR with box. Add $20 for shipment, and it's yours. Those sellers priced their items as if they're made of gold. There are only a few good sellers there. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I'll suggest that you go get your glasses at the marketplace.

Most of the prices here are reasonable, unlike in Sulit or TipidPC.
04-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Unless it was less than $5.00 I wouldn't touch that lens. It's not a great lens to begin with and it looks really rough. 28-70s are cheap in decent condition.
thanks a lot dude... prices here in our country for second hand lenses is a hard thing to face T_T

04-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Agree with post-eos. Don't even consider it.

I'm from the Philippines too. Sadly, most of the second hand lenses here are exorbitantly priced. Take the case of one currently posted old Pentax F100mm macro, priced at $476!!!

Crazy pricing! Well, you can get one at marketplace for $475-500, and that's for a mint 100mm WR with box. Add $20 for shipment, and it's yours. Those sellers priced their items as if they're made of gold. There are only a few good sellers there. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I'll suggest that you go get your glasses at the marketplace.

Most of the prices here are reasonable, unlike in Sulit or TipidPC.
CRAZY PRICING! hahaha the best word to describe second hand lenses in the philippines XD
thanks a lot dude... i'll be avoiding this one
04-29-2013, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,261
It shouldn't matter, the name plate is mostly there for looks. The bigger question is why is it missing in the first place. The only reason to remove this is to repair or adjust the lens.
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It shouldn't matter, the name plate is mostly there for looks. The bigger question is why is it missing in the first place. The only reason to remove this is to repair or adjust the lens.
thanks dude.. i asked the seller and he said it was lost when he cleaned the lens .. thanks
04-30-2013, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 997
If he lost the nameplate cleaning it, then there's really no assurance he ever put it back together properly. Someone that careless on the outside may have been that careless on the inside.

There are quite a few good lenses here at the Pentax Forums Marketplace. And the prices are reasonable. If the shipping isn't too bad, that's a great way to obtain lenses. What are you looking for? Any particular focal lengths?

04-30-2013, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,457
What will happen to a lens without a name plate? First of all it will have an identity crisis, then its picture will be broadcast on the Web. Oh, the humility!!!


Steve
05-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
If he lost the nameplate cleaning it, then there's really no assurance he ever put it back together properly. Someone that careless on the outside may have been that careless on the inside.

There are quite a few good lenses here at the Pentax Forums Marketplace. And the prices are reasonable. If the shipping isn't too bad, that's a great way to obtain lenses. What are you looking for? Any particular focal lengths?
im finding an all around lens... i'm planning to find a good cheap portrait lens

thanks dude.. the lens is already actually sold.. goodluck to the one who bought it haha
05-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What will happen to a lens without a name plate? First of all it will have an identity crisis, then its picture will be broadcast on the Web. Oh, the humility!!!


Steve
thanks dude.. the lens is already actually sold.. goodluck to the one who bought it haha
05-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
thank you so much guys


Santi
05-02-2013, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,865
I bought a M 50mm f1.7 some time ago, and in the package I also got a "Miranda 50mm f1.9", but the Miranda had no name plate on the front. So I don't even know if it really is a "Miranda", thats just what the seller told me. But it has a UV filter on the front now to protect it a little. Its not a lens that I use for optimal IQ, so I don't mind the filter on there. Just make sure the filter is of high enough quality so that it doesn't completely ruin the IQ. No obvious dust or fungus inside so far.
A lens hood might also be a good idea, even if its just a round rubber hood. I kind of like to use old lenses like that, some have a special character to them. Some are just bad, of course. Good luck.

There are also a lot of cheap new 50mm lenses out there, which will be good for general photography. Horus Bennu 50mm f1.7, MC Zenitar K2 50mm f2.0,.. or a used DA 35mm f2.4, DA 40mm XS.. Though, if you want a zoom lens, the IQ won't be as great or it will cost more. A 30 year old prime lens can still rival the new primes. A 30 year old zoom probably can't.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-02-2013 at 04:31 AM.
05-02-2013, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,261
QuoteOriginally posted by mingkoy Quote
thanks dude.. the lens is already actually sold.. goodluck to the one who bought it haha
Things often work out for the best. If the previous owner lost something as large as the trim ring just imagine the fate of those little bits like screws or ball bearings.
05-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I bought a M 50mm f1.7 some time ago, and in the package I also got a "Miranda 50mm f1.9", but the Miranda had no name plate on the front. So I don't even know if it really is a "Miranda", thats just what the seller told me. But it has a UV filter on the front now to protect it a little. Its not a lens that I use for optimal IQ, so I don't mind the filter on there. Just make sure the filter is of high enough quality so that it doesn't completely ruin the IQ. No obvious dust or fungus inside so far.
A lens hood might also be a good idea, even if its just a round rubber hood. I kind of like to use old lenses like that, some have a special character to them. Some are just bad, of course. Good luck.

There are also a lot of cheap new 50mm lenses out there, which will be good for general photography. Horus Bennu 50mm f1.7, MC Zenitar K2 50mm f2.0,.. or a used DA 35mm f2.4, DA 40mm XS.. Though, if you want a zoom lens, the IQ won't be as great or it will cost more. A 30 year old prime lens can still rival the new primes. A 30 year old zoom probably can't.
thanks for the response dude.... putting a filter to the front of the camera was my 1st choice when i saw that advertistment.. i also like shooting in manual lenses like you do .. because some lenses have their own character i also like the challenge of using the manual focus...

i followed your advice about the cheap lenses you said... you mentioned about 50mm lenses... I JUST SCORED A 1.4 50MM for 10$ hahaha
thanks very much dude



santi
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
filter, k-mount, lens, name, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best method to use to capture slow moving subjects with a manual lens? Vantage-Point Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 01-28-2012 01:34 PM
What would happen if there were no broadcast political commentary? luftfluss General Talk 20 08-22-2011 07:44 PM
will the beep happen with extension tube? slip Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 04-13-2011 06:19 PM
Misc A Horse with No Name? jpzk Post Your Photos! 10 12-08-2010 12:06 PM
What keyword to search lens name in this forum? quaker Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-10-2009 11:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top