Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Difference.. Auto Teleconverter/Teleconverter?

Hi All,
As the title suggests.
What is the difference between an 'auto teleconverter' as opposed to a 'teleconverter'.
I have a Soligor 'auto' and a Takumar 'non auto' (picked up in a job lot) and the scenario has never had me wondering...

Until Now!

Thanks in advance.

Peter.

04-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto aperture control I guess?
04-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Auto aperture control I guess?
Sorry Giklab, I don't follow, My ignorance.
Full manual lens but Auto aperture?

Maybe you're right, I should Google first.!
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, something that has 'Auto' written on it can usually be controlled via the camera. In this case we could assume that your 'auto' teleconverter reports the lens aperture to the camera (assuming an auto lens is attached) and maybe somehow couples the camera's aperture lever to that of the lens.

Of course if you have a manual lens on there it doesn't make a difference. I'd just like to know, are we talking about a Pentax DSLR and k-mount lens? Auto or manual lens?

PS I don't know if my signature can help. I've never seen this asked. Then again I've never thought of this before.

04-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Auto is probably that it has the flange to couple the aperture on the lens to the camera so lenses with auto apertures opens up, so that they don't getting stuck at min aperture. But it doesn't always mean that the aperture with a Pentax DSLR is controllable from the camera as they crippled the mount on the modern camera models, meaning that the camera needs electronic feedback to do something more than just pushing the aperture pin fully. This results in that you have to use the aperture ring on the lenses instead of on the camera and the camera won't know the setting on the lens.
04-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See feature 3 in the table here:
Pentax K-Mount Teleconverter Guide - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank You everyone,
Between the lot of ya the difference is now clear!
@Giklab, I use Canon with M42 adapter and variety of M42 lenses
Thus rendering the 'auto' function of the teleconverter completely useless!
But it's always good to know stuff!

Thanks again everyone.