Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Which Lens?

Hi all,

I found 4 lenses (2 prime and 2 zoom) exactly same price, which 1 would you pick? (mainly for portraits and studio use)
S-M-C Tak 105 2.8
Pentacon 135 2.8 6blades
M 75-150 f4
Dal 50-200

Thanks in advance.

04-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't really follow the abbreviations very well haha, but I'd say a prime 50 or 75 (maybe even 100 or 135) would be your best bet, in the studio fewer aperture blades doesn't make much of a difference, however if you're doing outside portraiture I'd suggest either an SMC Pentax M (or A) 50mm f/1.7 as they give really interesting bokkah, the Ricoh Rikenon-P 50mm f/1.7 is an amazingly sharp lens, and offers very beautiful bokkah (different than the typical smooth, dreamy bokkah I personally love the effect) or if you're looking for something that offers incredibly interesting and different bokkah the Helio 44 is good for that (so I have heard never tried one though) and if MF isn't your thing, and you have... Deep pockets the Pentax FA 50mm F/1.4 or 1.7 are both amazing lenses that would be something to have. In all honesty 2.8 is really kinda slow, especially for portraiture, while you're not likely to ever used it that wide, I'd suggest finding one f/1.7 or better. Even f/2 would be okay-ish The Rikenon P is an amazing lens, and rumored to be the sharpest lens of its time, and it's sharper than many of the multi-thousand dollar AF lenses I've seen.
04-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi bcrary3,

Thanks. Interesting info about the Ricoh p but the reason wh I've not tried that lens is because of its dreaded pin (not sure how to take it off).
I currently own the s-m-c takumar 50mm 1.4 and 55mm 1.8 and also Helios 44-2 that's why am not in anyway interested with the focal. However with your interesting info about the Ricoh I might try 1 if I can find an EASY way to get rid of that Pin.

I don't mind MF...
Any suggestion on the 4 lenses mentioned?
Thanks again
04-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure the OP wants advice about the specific lenses already mentioned....

Looking at what you already own, the Tak 105 would be my suggestion.

04-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The 50-200 is average not great IQ. The 135 is pretty long for portraits. The other two are fairly long as well. I guess I'd make do with the 105.
04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, yes, Ricoh does have that dreaded P pin, however I have not had any problems with mine (then again mine is a later Chinese assembled one might differ very slightly from the Japanese assembled one) however the pin is fairly simple to remove, at least it was on mine, what I did was take out the four screws that hold the bayonet mount onto the barrel of the lens (the 4 silver screws on the back of the lens where it attaches to the body) and the pin should pop right out. I also suggest not taking the whole thing apart to try and fix the focusing ring if it is a little tight... I kinda ruined my first Rikenon P lens doing that... It was the 1.7 version too, and I paid $20 for it, I can only find f/2 version to replace it at about $30. A bit upset about that, but if you do decide to go with one, don't do that unless you are a skilled technician... And if you do decide to get one from any online vendor make sure in the the photo it says RIKENON P (as there are several variants of the Rikenon lens) Also, not that it much matters, but if it says RICOH COMPANT, LTD. JAPAN that means it was made in Japan, but assembled in China. If it says MADE IN JAPAN then... Well it was made and assembled in Japan. Best of luck
04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi all,

Just finished browsing the photo archive and love the photos taken by the M 75-150, didn't find archive for the tak 105 though. Both have good reviews...

04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Hi all,

I found 4 lenses (2 prime and 2 zoom) exactly same price, which 1 would you pick? (mainly for portraits and studio use)
S-M-C Tak 105 2.8
Pentacon 135 2.8 6blades
M 75-150 f4
Dal 50-200

Thanks in advance.
I have the S-M-C Tak 105 and the DA 50-200 (version 1).

The DA is a poor lens. I am sorry I bought it. It might be ok for 4x6 prints. I don't like the iq.

I've had the Tak for 10+ years. Wonderful film lens. I used it for potraits. I am very happy with the iq from about 100 or so controlled test photos I took with it on my k20. I have not used very much beyond that in digital. It might be kind of a long fl for aps portraits. I would guess for head and shoulder images you might have to be in the next county.

I like 50mm length for aps portraits but I don't the DA. I think the S-M-C Tak is a wonderful lens, but long for portraits.

In your shoes I would pass on all of them if I could only buy one lens. If I could afford the S-M-C Tak and a second lens I'd grab the S-M-C Tak and look for a good 50mm for portraits.
04-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
Tak is not meant for me haha gone, nada, sold...
Am not confident enough with the 50-200 as well based from the reviews...
I guess I'm stucked with the M 75-150 and Pentacon 135.

@imd
I already have 50-55 focal and am happy with their performance...
04-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you compelled to buy any of them?
04-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #11

Original Poster
No man, have you any suggestion? Please feel free, thanks in advance.
At first I was thinking about wr pairing it with my k5 but am afraid the iq is not up to par considering the price that's why am considering other options...
04-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the Tak 105 is sold, and you really want to get one of the others, I would suggest the M 75-150 f/4.0
It fills a hole in your focal range, and seems to be pretty well reviewed.
The DAL is a junk lens, and a six blade 135 might be interesting to a videographer, but not for stills.
04-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Tak s-m-c 105 is best among them.

I don't use M 75-150 very often.

Pentacon 135/2.8 is also a good lens, if you have a good copy.
Mine is very sharp wide open. It has semi curved blades, therefore f4 is still almost perfect round iris, and razor sharp.
If you don't have a 135/2.8, go for it.

DAL zoom is a weak lens, but still good if you can balance around it's sweet spots 130-180mm f8
No problem for me to maintain good bokeh and large print.
04-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
portraits and studio use
For these applications you would want the highest IQ possible, you have the time to get it right in terms of composition and such, therefore it has to be IMHO primes all the way.

But hey I'm a tad bias in that direction.
04-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tak is not meant for me haha gone, nada, sold...
Am not confident enough with the 50-200 as well based from the reviews...
I guess I'm stucked with the M 75-150 and Pentacon 135.

@imd
I already have 50-55 focal and am happy with their performance...
Wait.

Wait for a good lens. You are in a studio. That is an enclosed room. You need a 50mm prime!

Using a 100mm lens:
If the studio is 20' long, and you and your subject are leaning against opposite walls, the longest diagonal length in the aps frame is less than 5.6 feet. With the camera turned at an angle, you could not get a full body shot of an adult, let alone any foot or head room. That is with you and your subject pressed up against opposite walls!

Using a 50mm lens:
In that same studio, at 8' camera to subject distance, your diagonal on the image is 4.6 feet. This allows a nice head and shoulders portrait with a little background above the head and some space for cropping. To get a full body shot, a distance of 15' will give you an 8.6' diagonal. That gives head and foot room in the image and some space for cropping. You still have 5' of space behind the camera and subject for backgrounds, hair lights, and breathing room.

I can't see how any lens longer than 50mm can be used in a 20' room for portraits. It is just trigonometry of the subject to camera distance and the focal length. You need to go 35mm if you have less than 15 feet of working room!