Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The purchase of our A* 1200 pretty much cured our LBA, although it was the last lens on our big glass list.

05-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
The purchase of our A* 1200 pretty much cured our LBA, although it was the last lens on our big glass list.
Hehehe, same problem here...the LBA slowed down over time but that`s only because the desired lenses got bigger
05-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mariopato2010 Quote
... HOW TO STOP LBA?
Pentax cured my lba with it's new pricing strategy. I strongly suspect I will never purchase another Pentax lens again. Fortunately for me, my primary kit consists of the DA 18-135, DA 40 ltd, and DA 70 ltd, which gives me all the range and quality I need.
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I strongly suspect I will never purchase another Pentax lens again
What about Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc? Are you only afflicted with a limited Pentax-only form of LBA?

05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Easy: once you have a copy of each version of every lens ever made with K-mount, LBA (like a flu) disappears by itself....

Please allow me to differ with you on this point. Having every K-mount and screw mount Pentax and non-Pentax in compatible mounts does not make LBA go away. After that, you start searching for better copies. A really afflicted LBAer might sell a perfectly excellent+ lens to buy that same lens New in Box. At its worst, I imagine that one becomes like Ferrari automobile collectors who buy new cars, shrink wrap them, and put them into a heated-air conditioned storage garage.
05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I actually believed I had cured my LBA a few months ago when I decided it was wrong to own an A* 85mm f1.4, an FA* 85mm f1.4 and a DA* 55mm f1.4 - So I sold my A* - But then the other day I found another A* 85 for sale and bought it ! - THERE IS NO CURE ! ! ! !
05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Please allow me to differ with you on this point. Having every K-mount and screw mount Pentax and non-Pentax in compatible mounts does not make LBA go away. After that, you start searching for better copies. A really afflicted LBAer might sell a perfectly excellent+ lens to buy that same lens New in Box. At its worst, I imagine that one becomes like Ferrari automobile collectors who buy new cars, shrink wrap them, and put them into a heated-air conditioned storage garage.
Hmm, that reminds me waaay too much of what a friend of mine does with Leica....he's got a perfectly nice M-something and a noctilux, both still sitting in the box, never taken out, as "it destroys the magic if you open them"......

05-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Hmm, that reminds me waaay too much of what a friend of mine does with Leica....he's got a perfectly nice M-something and a noctilux, both still sitting in the box, never taken out, as "it destroys the magic if you open them"......
Can you get him to lend them to me,
so I can replace the contents with equivalent weights?
05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Easy: once you have a copy of each version of every lens ever made with K-mount, LBA (like a flu) disappears by itself....
Does not work!

I did that with Canon. They have a lot of lenses. My wife (perfect woman except for this one thing) made me sell lots of them. However I kept the best 3 dozen prime lenses.

By the time that happened, I had almost every S-T or S-M-C-T lens except the 120/2.8, 500mm, and the 1000mm. Still have all of those.

Now I think I am done. I have the DA 15/4, FA 35/2, FA 50/1.4, DA 10-17/3.5, DA* 50-135/2.8, DA 55-300, DA 18-50, DA 50-200, Samyang 24/1.4, Samyang 85/1.4, Vivitar 21, Vivitar 90-180, K 135/2.5, M 80-200/4.5, a couple of Tokina zooms, and a bunch of M 50s.

Now I can say I am done! Well I will be after I get that S-M-C-T 120/2.8.

p.s.
Let's not talk about RF lenses.

p.p.s.
Can you guess how many steel reinforced locking cabinets I have? Safety deposit boxes?
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
So I sold my A*
Stop LBA, that's insane.

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I found another A* 85 for sale and bought it
Now sanity has returned, LBA can be restarted.
05-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Cure:

1) Add up the cost of every photographic item you have bought.
2) Compare that to what is still needed for your kid's college fund.
3) Compare that to your retirement fund.
4) Compare that to what you should be giving to the local food pantry (or other charitable cause).

Seriously, that slowed me down a bunch.

Cure 2:
1) Take a whole lot of photographs.
2) Post process those images.

This slowed me down by taking away my free time.

p.s.
I am going to sell more of my stuff. (Mostly film only stuff)
05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kakapo Quote
What about Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc? Are you only afflicted with a limited Pentax-only form of LBA?
Hard to say for sure. In general my feeling is the reason to have a Pentax camera is to shoot Pentax glass. I have owned 3 Sigma lenses in the past, and still have one that never gets used. The 24mm prime was a nice lens, though it tended to underexpose, I wasn't crazy about the 17-70 (sold that one to my daughter) and the 70-300 I have is a lousy lens. The way things are right now, if I were to feel the need for another lens (and fortunately I don't) I would look at Sigma, Tamron and/or Tokina first (but not in that order).

The real dilemma I'm going to face is what to do when my K-7 needs to be replaced. At that point, I'll be tempted to dump Pentax (something I never would have said 2 or 3 years ago), such is my displeasure with Ricoh right now. But that will be a tough decision, as I really like sensor based shake reduction and my limited lenses.
05-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The Cure: 1) Add up the cost of every photographic item you have bought. 2) Compare that to what is still needed for your kid's college fund. 3) Compare that to your retirement fund. 4) Compare that to what you should be giving to the local food pantry (or other charitable cause).
Ouch. So true. Talk about a reality check!! I'm just happy that my wife isn't fully aware of how much money I've sunk into my lenses... but then again, hopefully I can always sell them if I really need the cash at some point in the future. Assuming, that is, there is still a market for Pentax products...
05-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Until you look for a Takumar Preset 100mm f3.5....
Well somebody managed to pick one up today!
05-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
A really afflicted LBAer might sell a perfectly excellent+ lens to buy that same lens New in Box.
Wrong.

You keep the Ex+ copy to shoot with and fondle the NIB copy on Saturday nights.