Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I guess they'll probably have semi-annual rebates going forward. Otherwise the market will respond by not buying the lenses or moving systems. Lenses are just expensive overall though, so where would we go? Prices are way too high on some of these though. They have to look at the competition. Nikon and Canon both charge less for their 50/1.4s, which have built in motors.
While there isn't anything inherently wrong with going the rebate route (they used to do them pretty regularly 5-6 years ago), if they are only going to attach them to buying a new camera body as well then that does nothing to move lenses to current owners.

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
This makes it easy for someone like me who is waiting for Pentax FF to just sell everything and move to Nikon..
Pricing like this makes me a little more comfortable with having moved a lot of my gear from Pentax to Nikon mount, sadly. Pentax sure does a lot of great things - they did always tend to price themselves as a value option, but it is increasingly apparent they want equivalent money - if that is what they want, they do need to step up and compete a few things such as FF and better autofocus systems in their cameras.

05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
While there isn't anything inherently wrong with going the rebate route (they used to do them pretty regularly 5-6 years ago), if they are only going to attach them to buying a new camera body as well then that does nothing to move lenses to current owners.
Agreed. There's not much chance I'm going to buy a new camera I don't need just to get a rebate on an overpriced lens. A lot of people will either:
1. Buy used lenses (no profit to Pentax)
2. Buy 3rd party lenses (no profit to Pentax)
3. Do without the lens (no profit to Pentax)
4. Change systems (no profit to Pentax), which in addition to entirely shutting down that revenue stream also generates more used lenses on the market which allows even MORE people to avoid buying new lenses and denying that profit

I think most of us want Pentax to do well. If the prices are close enough, I'd rather buy a new lens, and I'm sure they'd rather I do this too. So help us help you, Pentax.
05-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
The execs over at Sigma and Tamron must be dancing with joy right now, this is a direct increase in sales of their lenses to Pentax owners.
Sigma and Tamron seem to be abandoning Pentax mount because the volume of users is too low. Very few new lenses are being made in Pentax mount.
05-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma and Tamron seem to be abandoning Pentax mount because the volume of users is too low. Very few new lenses are being made in Pentax mount.
The installed base of Pentax cameras needs to grow. Once a person buys one third-party lens, there's another just around the corner. Pricing Brand lenses to a premium also helps.

05-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I have everything covered from 8mm to 500mm, so I should do fine. I wasn't planning on buying any of those lenses anyway!
05-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I have everything covered from 8mm to 500mm, so I should do fine. I wasn't planning on buying any of those lenses anyway!
Yes, but it certainly sucks for newcomers to Pentax who will find it hard to afford to add new lenses beyond the kit lens, if they want to get a new, in-warranty Pentax-brand lens. Instead, they have to roll the dice on the used market or seek Sigma/Tamron alternatives. I sped up my personal lens road map last year after the first price hike and I'm pretty much set right now, so I'm lucky, but I feel bad for anyone who just bought into Pentax or who had planned to build their collection more slowly.
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yes, but it certainly sucks for newcomers to Pentax who will find it hard to afford to add new lenses beyond the kit lens, if they want to get a new, in-warranty Pentax-brand lens. Instead, they have to roll the dice on the used market or seek Sigma/Tamron alternatives. I sped up my personal lens road map last year after the first price hike and I'm pretty much set right now, so I'm lucky, but I feel bad for anyone who just bought into Pentax or who had planned to build their collection more slowly.
To tell the truth the Sigma and Tamron offerings have a better warranty and cost less, so other than the weather sealing on certain Pentax lenses the aftermarket is the way to go.

05-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They didn't raise the price on the FA 31 Limited. That must mean it's discontinued...
I'm thinking just the opposite. If I were discontinuing something that I had a stockpile of, something I knew would eventually sell, I would raise the prices. I would keep the prices realistic/steady/etc. on the ones I planned to continue producing.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-01-2013 at 02:30 PM.
05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #24

Well, I don't have that many lenses to pick up either before I've basically got what I want so it may not impact me that much but that doesn't make it right and I still believe it's not good for the brand. Couple of * lenses, a Tamron 90 Macro, and maybe the occasional old lens for fun.
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #25

Bummer.. I was trying to convince my wife to let me spend my money on a 77. I was real close! But at the new price, knowing what they have sold for before, i won't allow myself to spend my money on it either!
05-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It almost looks like they try to shift the revenue income from the camera bodies to the lenses with all the rebates and price cuts that has come up on the bodies and kits. Maybe a smart move to lure in more beginners but tougher to hold on to the enthusiasts/semi-pro's. If that will affect overall sales negatively of positively is to be seen.
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Maybe Pentax is trying to drive more business to Sigma to get them to keep supporting the mount...
05-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax decreases the prices on the FA Limiteds...Pentax is doomed.

Pentax increases the prices on the FA Limiteds...Pentax is DOOOOOMED.
I'd love to hear how a company with a minimal presence, poor marketing, poor sales, and limited range of gear in their system wins by raising prices on their products.
05-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'd love to hear how a company with a minimal presence, poor marketing, poor sales, and limited range of gear in their system wins by raising prices on their products.
Well, as I mentioned earlier,
J C Penney recently went from "everyday low prices"
(which apparently wasn't working for them)
to the "Mark up to mark down" strategy.
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Maybe Pentax is trying to drive more business to Sigma to get them to keep supporting the mount...
That sounds like the Nintendo third party strategy. Nintendo have tried giving third party games leverage both with pricing and by holding off their own releases to boost third party sales, instead of building an actual market. To say the least the results have always been brutal as their reluctance to bring out new Nintendo games affected and affects sales of the whole system and therefore in the end dampens the third party support even more.

I know this is a different market but I have a feeling that it works pretty much the same way. They need to increase market share to get the third party makers on the train, not kill their own support of the system. Sadly it seems like a pretty common Japanese business strategy.