Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hard to pick one favourite but it's among the best for me, too.
For me as well. Maybe we're just easy to please ?

05-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
For me as well. Maybe we're just easy to please ?
I'm fine with that. It's probably why I only use cheap glass
05-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I've noticed this as well. And please stop bidding against me driving this lens price up more than its worth if we work together we can get this lens for under $300 and there will be plenty for the rest of us. I was bidding on this lens from Henry's last week and some boob paid almost $475 with shipping. Heck a brand new one ( not a display model)was only $64 more before the price increase hit. And I think you can still get it from B&HPHOTO at the lower price.
I think I only bid once and as soon as the price rose over $400 I would rather by from B & H or locally. I keep hoping that the demand will slow down and I'll get the price I want.
05-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I think I only bid once and as soon as the price rose over $400 I would rather by from B & H or locally. I keep hoping that the demand will slow down and I'll get the price I want.
I'd like to get the lens for about $350 or $375 used. I would pay $425 for a demo, but no more than that. I can't believe they're back up to $649 new. Too high in my opinion.

05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
Mr_Canuck

Who knows, Henrys may have gotten ahold of some available stock at a reduced price and jumped on it.

The DA21 is unique in the universe. It's an oreo cookie that fits on your camera and takes really great photos. I still question whether I should've sold mine. People seem put off by it's f/3.2 but at that focal length, on apsc, who really cares? On a K5,30,01 you're not going to worry about lens speed. It's got amazing flare handling, nice bokeh, and super close focus distance.
05-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I keep hoping that the demand will slow down and I'll get the price I want.
This goes contrary to the assumption of the original post. If they sell often, but for a high price, then there's no problem at all
05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
The DA21 is unique in the universe. It's an oreo cookie that fits on your camera and takes really great photos.
With AF, I'd agree.

But with MF, the Voigtlaender Color-Skopar 20/3.5 also qualifies,
and it's a full frame lens, to boot.

Then there's the M20/4 as well.

05-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #23

Interesting observation! I don't think there's any conscious plan behind it, though.

The 21mm Limited is a very, very good lens. It's small and has excellent IQ. It's sharp across the frame and has great colors.

My theory: the lens is a victim of its own success. The 21mm focal length makes it very appealing for a first Limited purchase, as it's a classic "street wide" on APS-C. However, some of those same people may find that they don't use it as often as they had anticipated. People certainly buy the lens. Speaking for myself, I sadly report that it sits in my camera drawer more than it should. I love it and I use it, but relative to its own qualities, some of my cheaper lenses can be more appealing at various times.

The thing is, if I want a sharp, fast prime for indoor use, I'll probably use my DAL 35 2.4 instead. The extra 2/3 stop of light really does come in handy, plus the "normal" focal length is a good compromise between wide and long. The IQ is also relatively equal between them, as the 35 2.4 is famously excellent.

I also have the DA 18-135 WR, and while of course the 21mm prime is much better optically, the 18-135 is more than "good enough" at 21mm, and it's barely any slower. If I had any of the 2.8 walkaround zooms, it would be even harder to justify the 21mm for indoor use - all those lenses are a touch faster, and as far as IQ goes, the gulf is not so vast among them.

Of course the 21mm is technically better. Of course primes have their own qualities as primes: limiting yourself to one focal length will very often make you a better photographer. Sometimes, zoom lenses can actually slow you down. But, sometimes you really do need that zoom to grab that one shot in a dim room of your cousin falling into a punch bowl, just as you might also not want to deal with your relatives asking you, "how do I zoom this".

I also wonder if some people are disappointed that the wide focal length of 21mm, plus its relative slowness, means that they won't typically get a whole lot of bokeh, unless they're very close to their subject. Many people, especially newbies, are very excited by the idea that a fast prime will give them that bokehlicious "real camera" look. They might not realize at the time of purchase that the 21mm isn't the best tool for that kind of look. They might also not realize at the time of purchase that not every image needs to be shot at 1.8, with only noses in focus.

My point is, the 21mm may have an active life on the used market *because* it's so appealing. It's only later that people realize that it's been sitting in their camera bag for a while, and it's worth a few hundred bucks, and they'd rather use those few hundred bucks on something else.
05-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I just got one yesterday. It is the most amazing lens ever in my opinion. I'm sending my A28 F2.8 back today.

The extra width is very helpful in street photography, and it is actually sharper than the A28 F2.8. I am not turned off by the F3.2, and it is practically perfect on my k-01.

On the other hand, I did get it for $400 used at B&H (in really good condition, except the front of the cap), so that might be some cost-efficient bias in my eyes.