Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's up with the DA21?

I've been watch ebay and noticed a lot of DA21 primes for sale. Henry's in Toronto is selling about two open box lenses each week. How many open boxes or demo's can any one store have? There are also a very high number in Japan and elsewhere. I wonder if Pentax put a bunch of 21's out on bulk sales to certain distributers to clear out stock. That could mean that something else is to replace it, but I really don't know. Has anyone else noticed this?

05-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I've been watch ebay and noticed a lot of DA21 primes for sale. Henry's in Toronto is selling about two open box lenses each week. How many open boxes or demo's can any one store have? There are also a very high number in Japan and elsewhere. I wonder if Pentax put a bunch of 21's out on bulk sales to certain distributers to clear out stock. That could mean that something else is to replace it, but I really don't know. Has anyone else noticed this?
The lens sucks?

Just kidding, but there are probably more returns of this lens than others as it's probably the least popular among the limiteds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No doubt but the number of sales is still suspicious.

I've thought about this lens because when I look at my shooting history, most images end up being between 21 and 24 when using a zoom. That means that such a lens would probably be very useful to me.
05-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A theory
Is it a way around Pentax telling shops the minimum price for lenses.

05-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I think it gets "runt" status of the Limiteds because if you are going wide, why not go 15mm.

It is my favorite lens.
05-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Henrys at one time had demo 21's in most of their stores and brought them back to the main store. I know that because I bought one just after Christmas at their downtown store. They had several that had been store demos and might still have some. I had originally sold my first copy of the 21 when I got my 15. It is a great lens and I regretted the decision and so bought another. I would never sell it again, or my other Limiteds (15,31,40 or 70) since each are useful tools.

By the way, the 21 is the perfect walkabout lens for the K01.
05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
A theory
Is it a way around Pentax telling shops the minimum price for lenses.
Stores can offer other "freebies", like included accessories (i.e. filters) or gift cards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I noticed this at Henry's, too. Likely someone at Pentax simply overestimated the demand.

05-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I noticed this at Henry's, too. Likely someone at Pentax simply overestimated the demand.
Pentax looking into what the market wants? Pentax planning ahead? Could this be? There must be another explanation.
05-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I find it performs every bit as good as the 15 and is my preferred wide angle if I don't need to bring in a tight foreground. I think it is less popular because why stop at 21 when you can go to 15?!?
Oh, and jsherman did not create an epic thread celebrating the 21.
05-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've noticed this on forums, the 21mm is by far the limited most commonly sold used. While it's a very good lens, it may not be quite wide enough or fast enough for some, and is commonly sold on. I would welcome an 18mm f/2.8 limited to replace it.
05-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've noticed this on forums, the 21mm is by far the limited most commonly sold used. While it's a very good lens, it may not be quite wide enough or fast enough for some, and is commonly sold on. I would welcome an 18mm f/2.8 limited to replace it.
Wouldn't even be close to being a pancake or compact lens. 3x larger than than the 21 or 15.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 05-03-2013 at 07:29 AM.
05-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Wouldn't even be close to being a pancake or compact lens. 3x larger than than the 21 pr 15.
Agreed. A comparable design to a 18mm 2.8 might be the Sigma 19mm 2.8 for NEX. It's quite a long lens. Add the lens hood onto the Sigma 19mm, and it gets even longer (vs the DA21 with it's tiny hood on).
05-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
there are probably more returns of this lens than others as it's probably the least popular among the limiteds
Or, being probably the least expensive, it's the more common?

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
It is my favorite lens.
Hard to pick one favourite but it's among the best for me, too.
05-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I've noticed this as well. And please stop bidding against me driving this lens price up more than its worth if we work together we can get this lens for under $300 and there will be plenty for the rest of us. I was bidding on this lens from Henry's last week and some boob paid almost $475 with shipping. Heck a brand new one ( not a display model)was only $64 more before the price increase hit. And I think you can still get it from B&HPHOTO at the lower price.