Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Milky spot in snaps

I have a problem with my 80-200mm f4.5 pre-AI Nikkor lens. I use a Fotodiox adapter so it can be used on my K-01. Depending on circumstances, sometimes this spot is visible, and sometimes not. There is something on the inside of the front element, about 1mm long with a width of maybe 20% of the length. Other than that, the glass looks good to me (but I'm not very good with lenses) Any suggestions please? thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Banskojoe; 05-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
05-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe dust, fungus, oil (probably not in this spot). a picture would help.
05-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Maybe dust, fungus, oil (probably not in this spot). a picture would help.
Sorry. Still new at this. Thought I had posted the snap the first time.
05-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the lens off the camera, look into the lens while shining a torch into the lens from the other end.
If it has dust or fungus etc. it will show up. Can you post a photo of what you see ?

05-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A foreign object as small as described in the OP would be unlikely to show that effect, in my opinion.

Honestly, what I think I'm seeing in that picture could be just plain ol' lens flare. It looks like the sun is just out-of-frame, and the sky is blown out.

Older lenses like that Pre-AI don't necessarily have great flare-rejecting coatings. So use a hood -- if you don't already -- and don't expect good results if you shoot into the sun.

Also, because you're using a Nikon lens on a Pentax body, make sure the lens is on good-and-tight with no light leakage around the mount. Put the lens cap on and look for any blotches on the LCD display as you rotate the camera around.

Finally, yes, also look for fungus and other stuff as suggested above.
05-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I dis agree with the others. I think this is the result of internal reflections off the inner surfaces of the lens or adapter. There is either loss of paint which is not black enough or a loss of a light absorbtion device. I ran into s similar problem with a SMC Tak 200/4 and reported: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/152972-...-function.html . The effect was very similar. That thread also shows how I solved the problem.
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Tim60 has a good point, and it's easy enough to test. Try using the lens without the adapter:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/223010-k-01-pre-ai-nikon-lenses.html

(There are other, older threads on this subject as well.)

Pre-AI lenses fit, more or less, onto the Pentax bayonet if you mount them upside down -- that is, with the aperture indicator facing down. It won't lock on, but it should be secure enough to test.